Live From The Water 2018 Edition!

WNYBuckHunter

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

Those salmonoids are  fun to catch,  but those PANFISH are some prime eating !!...YUM !!...

They are called PAN FISH for good reason!!!   Not too much better than a bunch of fresh caught, through the ice, crappies, perch and sunnies!! Fried up with some hush puppies!!  Oh yeah!

• Like 1

Nice bunch Chris.  Jigging raps?
Jigging raps and forage minnows. They were real active for the first hour I was there then they shut off, still marked fish the whole time but they had lockjaw, they'd follow it 8' off bottom but not commit.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

We were in the same boat yesterday chrisw. Some great fishing early, and then nothing. It wasn't Onieda, but it was exactly the same. I couldn't believe how far off the bottom they would come without biting, over and over. 
Yeah, it gets frustrating. I had my wife out with me and the first few 16" walleyes I pulled up and debated on keeping them and the wife says "they're biting really good just throw them back and catch bigger ones." I told her how quick they can shut off and that's exactly what happened. Out of 50 Lookers after noon we caught 2 fish.

Nice ... like to fish oneida but the walk out and back is killer . I fish out of Cleveland for a lack of  knowledge of lake .  Have caught short walleye never a keeper. Got into jumbos on occasion. Wish I lived closer and had a machine to get out deeper. 
A machine is a must for fishing Oneida extensively. If there was a time to walk out it's now though, pretty much glare ice, easy drag. But a machine is 100X better. ice.jpeg

• Like 2

21 hours ago, chrisw said:

A machine is a must for fishing Oneida extensively. If there was a time to walk out it's now though, pretty much glare ice, easy drag. But a machine is 100X better. ice.jpeg

went home for lunch and there were two trucks in front of me and one behind me with trailers and wheelers.  Ice guys are hitting it hard today . 

• Like 1

Yup I see a 4 wheeler in my future once the tractor is paid off.. problem is i dont t have much use for it outside of ice fishing  and perhaps dragging a deer out from the back corner of my property. 
I hunt all State land so I can't use mine for hunting at all either. Snow plowing and ice fishing and the occasional short trail ride. I wish I could use it more but on the flip side, I bought the wheeler brand new in 2013 and I've only got 300 miles on it so at this rate it should last forever! Still mint condition.

I have only ever had the advantage of using a 4 wheeler to drag a deer once. I shot a nice buck on stateland and dragged down a hill onto a farm I had permission  to  hunt. A friend had his 4 wheeler in his truck and drove out a quarter mile to get it . It was convenient... kind of felt like cheating. All other deer my wife and killed I have dragged. The boys I made them drag there own . I feel they needed to experience the  whole process from shot to butchering . Was the way I was taught.  

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, chrisw said:

I hunt all State land so I can't use mine for hunting at all either. Snow plowing and ice fishing and the occasional short trail ride. I wish I could use it more but on the flip side, I bought the wheeler brand new in 2013 and I've only got 300 miles on it so at this rate it should last forever! Still mint condition.

Sounds like my 2014 snowmobile....105 miles of ice fishing and circles around the property every so often.    I need to hook up with a trail rider to show me around.