Live From The Water 2018 Edition!

WNYBuckHunter

Got out today at my favorite striper spot about 20 min from my house. The traffic made it a 45 min drive and made me miss some of the best tide and me being too lazy to put waders on meant I couldn't stand in the spot I wanted to so I couldn't get the best casts. Either way I got 3 schoolie stripers from 14" to 22". All fun on light tackle and a 10ft noodle rod. It's amazing how they just inhale his lure. I've never had a tap on this lure, they always just swallow it. It's a little cold out so not many keepers to be had, but it's getting better each day. First one is 22" and the second is 14"
IMG_7011.JPG
IMG_7012.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Caught 4 more today. Guy next to me was getting them almost every cast and caught a 20 pounder. He let it go so maybe I'll hook into it next time. Anyway the biggest I got was around 24-26" but they put up a great fight on light tackle. All were released. IMG_7036.JPGIMG_7037.JPG

• Like 5

A day of firsts! I bought a Fly rod a few months back to use in the rivers for trout, I decided to take it out today to practice casting and figure out how to use the thing. About 30 minutes in I noticed a fish feeding heavy on the surface, I was fishing the Seneca river in baldwinsville which is just a big wide river that connects 3 bodies of water (not a trout stream). I tied on one of the streamers that I tied and after about 10 minutes of working that area the fish took the streamer. I fought it in and as it got closer I wasn't sure what the hell it was!? I landed it and I thought I was going crazy, it looked like an Atlantic Salmon!? I texted a few pictures to my Buddy who is a DEC officer, he confirmed it, Atlantic Salmon! First fish on a fly rod and first Atlantic Salmon! It was 19" long. They're extremely rare to catch around here so I was pumped. IMG_20180427_123756997.jpegatlantic.jpegIMG_20180427_134140331_HDR.jpeg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 14

Decided to take my luck to a stream, landed 8 browns and a brookie this afternoon. Here's a few of the better ones.IMG_20180427_173639984.thumb.jpeg.08c6e7df5b8060b364839fcf2a9fadd2.jpegIMG_20180427_172854959.thumb.jpeg.ef6e33a8575501338a7f433bf37bef18.jpegIMG_20180427_161505815.thumb.jpeg.434c66ca9432273157ed1f2a72b7329b.jpeg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

That’s a hell of a run for first time with a fly rod AND with flies you tied.

• Like 1

Fished mid day yesterday and last night. People were really hauling in the big boys. For some reason all I could manage was a 24” schoolie with my lure, but after I sent out a bunker chunk I brought in a perfect 28.5” fish. Perfect size in my book. May go out again tonight cause it was on fire yesterday

IMG_7077.JPG

• Like 5

23 hours ago, GreeneHunter said:

Any idea how far up the Hudson River the Stripers are so far ?

The Troy dam. Not many yet, but each day will bring more. Couple more weeks and it will be good!

Edited by grampy

Fished black creek in churchville the past two nights.bullhead bite is hot.first night managed 12 or so.didnt keep any.just catching and to get out of the house for a bit to see what's biting.lastnight got bitter cold with the wind in our faces.fished both nights around 9-1230

20180427_214936.jpg

20180427_215352.jpg

• Like 5

11 hours ago, grampy said:

The Troy dam. Not many yet, but each day will bring more. Couple more weeks and it will be good!

My buddies and I are going down either this weekend or next to troy to fish for strippers. We'll be out in my buddies boat. Hoping to land at least one first time fishing for them. Waiting on the bullhead to start biting up north.

11 hours ago, grampy said:

The herring and stripers are up pretty good now been catching them in new Baltimore for the last week or so. No problems getting bait eathier guys are catching 36 inchers already in coxackie area with this warm weather coming it should be awesome

Edited by silent death

Put in a solid day of fishing today.  Went after big northerns and never saw one all day.  Thank goodness for some incidental smallmouth to keep some action. Nice ones 4 lbers but not what we were fishing for.  Went to my secret northern pike spot that I haven't been to in 2 years.  We've been going there for years in the early spring and never see another boat.  Well word must be out as there were 6 other guys that pulled in right behind us.  Wind really made it tough to fish , we were flying down the lake and really need to fish slow after ice out.  Anyway we still had a great day but the northerns ain't what they used to be there for sure.   Had some friends catch some nice walleyes this morn on Oneida tributaries. And one of my staff got 2 salmon, a steelie and a laker on Ontario this morn.  Saw a ton of big ole Tom's on the way to fish this morn. 

Tomorrow back in the turkey woods!  

• Like 1

Managed two of these today.  Both were like twin 17". Slept in a little this morn but had the day off and had to get the bass boat out for first time this year. 

The creeks are packed with walleyes still since it's such a late spring.  Prob the latest spawn I've seen in years.  But they are killing them in the crick. When I went out there were 8 boats in a spot you can about cast across at fish crick. Too crowded for me.  So I fished the lake a bit by the canal mouth.  Got two eyes and a perch.  The water is so cold yet.  

A day off of work and a little fishing is always good.  First walleye of the year. 

rps20180507_140104.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 5