Live From The Water 2018 Edition!

WNYBuckHunter

I’m headed to Lake Placid, if someone wants to share a little brookie spot in that area I’d be obliged. I’m tired of fishing the Ausable every year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You poor thing, having to suffer with the Ausable ..... nice offer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

The Ausable ain’t all it’s cracked up to be in mid August is all I mean

I think the Au Sable River is time dependent at times as well. When we used to camp at Taylor Pond a lot when I was a teen and into my early 20's, we would fish it from around Au Sable Forks east and south, it was hit and miss on some days. We got to the point where we just fished the lake at the campground, always limited out. That was trout and salmon.

Bass, we would hit Franklin Falls and Union Falls.

Funny, I was just talking to the wife saying I want to get a week camping in at Taylor next Summer. Been a long-long time. 

Edited by Rob...
spelling
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I’m headed to Lake Placid, if someone wants to share a little brookie spot in that area I’d be obliged. I’m tired of fishing the Ausable every year

Have you tried the saranac river? It's a world renowned trout fisherman's paradise. There's also if you have a canoe the st Regis chain of ponds around Paul Smith's college and lake clear. Their is also a part of the saranac river that dumps into frankli n falls that is loaded with trout also.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Rob... said:

I think the Au Sable River is time dependent at times as well. When we used to camp at Taylor Pond a lot when I was a teen and into my early 20's, we would fish it from around Au Sable Forks east and south, it was hit and miss on some days. We got to the point where we just fished the lake at the campground, always limited out. That was trout and salmon.

Bass, we would hit Franklin Falls and Union Falls.

Funny, I was just talking to the wife saying I want to get a week camping in at Taylor next Summer. Been a long-long time. 

When you fished in a usable did you fish near the grocery store and the Bridge just after stewarts? Hurricane Irene ruined it there they had to do work to re route the river. I'm very familiar with taylo e pond and Franklin and union falls. My wife's family has a leased camp th ier. I'm like 15 mins from taylo r and 30 mins from Franklin and union dam.

37 minutes ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

When you fished in a usable did you fish near the grocery store and the Bridge just after stewarts? Hurricane Irene ruined it there they had to do work to re route the river. I'm very familiar with taylo e pond and Franklin and union falls. My wife's family has a leased camp th ier. I'm like 15 mins from taylo r and 30 mins from Franklin and union dam.

I think so, there was a grocery store at the intersection of 9N and a street I can't recall. I think the store was a Grand Union if memory serves me right, they would let you park there if you were fishing. The store was a left at the 9N intersection, and about 300 feet down. A right and then a quick left  would put us on Silver lake Road to TP.

There used so be a small mom and pop store in Black Brook that we got our worms from, they closed down long before I stopped getting up there. Can't recall the name. It was at a fork on Silver Lake Rd. and a side street.

Edited by Rob...

Yes now it's a tops  grocery store now if you keep going up silver lake past taylo r pond you'll hit silver lake campground and instead of following the silver lake rd to union falls dam. You take a right just past the campground and th3res special designated trout fishing areas on the saranac river. You ever fish the saranac river?

38 minutes ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Yes now it's a tops  grocery store now if you keep going up silver lake past taylo r pond you'll hit silver lake campground and instead of following the silver lake rd to union falls dam. You take a right just past the campground and th3res special designated trout fishing areas on the saranac river. You ever fish the saranac river?

I know where Silver Lake is, didn't know about the special trout area on the Saranac. We fished the river once, I think I was 13. LOL. Will look into this and keep in memory. Thank you for the insight on other places to fish. Much appreciated.

I also remember when you get to the "T" that ends Silver Lake RD, take a right and about a mile down was a gas station/bait shop/tackle shop. Bought our first Christmas Tree lures there after a suggestion from the owner the first time we were even in the area. Damn dude, you are bringing back a ton of memories, I just wish I could remember some of the street and road names. 

Edited by Rob...

33 minutes ago, Rob... said:

I know where Silver Lake is, didn't know about the special trout area on the Saranac. We fished the river once, I think I was 13. LOL. Will look into this and keep in memory. Thank you for the insight on other places to fish. Much appreciated.

I also remember when you get to the "T" that ends Silver Lake RD, take a right and about a mile down was a gas station/bait shop/tackle shop. Bought our first Christmas Tree lures there after a suggestion from the owner the first time we were even in the area. Damn dude, you are bringing back a ton of memories, I just wish I could remember some of the street and road names. 

I'm a local when you wanna come up let me know I'll hook you up with some other spots too. I've lived here my hole life and am still finding stuff here that I never knew about.  Yea the t was probably route 3 intersection and that used to be clayburg grocery. It's gone but there's a battlefield 2 miles down the road now.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

I'm a local when you wanna come up let me know I'll hook you up with some other spots too. I've lived here my hole life and am still finding stuff here that I never knew about.  Yea the t was probably route 3 intersection and that used to be clayburg grocery. It's gone but there's a battlefield 2 miles down the road now.

Will definitely do that. Thank you. 

Never mind, small craft advisory on Lake Ontario already has 3 to 4 foot waves expecting to increase to 6 foot waves. Our charter captain called and we decided to reschedule. Now the question is do I go into work or do I stay home and do something fun.

• Sad 3

6 hours ago, Moho81 said:

Never mind, small craft advisory on Lake Ontario already has 3 to 4 foot waves expecting to increase to 6 foot waves. Our charter captain called and we decided to reschedule. Now the question is do I go into work or do I stay home and do something fun.

That sucks cause it seemed it never got windy.  But I saw the small craft advisory, no idea why they issued that.  He prob didn't want to take the liability of being out with a posted advisory but it would seem to be a great day.  Hope u get to reschedule

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

That sucks cause it seemed it never got windy.  But I saw the small craft advisory, no idea why they issued that.  He prob didn't want to take the liability of being out with a posted advisory but it would seem to be a great day.  Hope u get to reschedule

yeah kinda bummed about it. It was going to be a fun day out on the lake but we already rescheduled for early September. Hopefully the Kings will still be around. 

When we were talking to him on the phone he said he wasn't worried about the 3-4 footers that were currently out there it was the potential 5-6 footers that made him pause. It also seemed like it wasn't liability he was worried about it was getting us on good fish. Seemed like he has no issues getting on fish with 3-4 foot waves but 5-6 made it harder. 

Now I could be misinterpreting everything that was said but that's what it sounded like. He let us choose to either continue or re-schedule and from what we where hearing we decided to re-schedule.  

• Like 1

I see that campground on the map but not the saranac river, and I missing it? Nelson Rd?

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I see that campground on the map but not the saranac river, and I missing it? Nelson Rd?

Go past both Nelson eds and go straight by taylo r pond. Keep straight the road will get windy you'll come to a private campground the left and right side it's just past silver lake mountain parking area. Take the next right hand turn on to silver lake road there. You'll see the trout fishing parking area i think there's 3 of them. If you follow the road to the end it'll put you on state route 3 take a right at the bridge. It'll take you into redford there's 2 bridges or e bed of rd bridge b4 maplefield store and pup hill bridge just down the rd.

• Like 2

Moho. Kings Def around then. I was fishing through early bow season last year. Staging is a great time to fish ! I know a couple charters went out today and did well.... It was a good "salmon chop" today. 3-4's is pretty standard on ladyO. East wind is a killer!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1