Live From The Water 2018 Edition!

WNYBuckHunter

20 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

7d2f6879129a12b203401903f147fe76.jpg&key=bfbf888875b5818c76f447c6e249782f96b8a5ed68a9dd38bd5c2aa07615ce82harassed the local fish population a little tonight.b63d41c299fa2f7d0ca32e82e1a22b56.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both sets of shoes are awesome, but you need the safety orange soles on your crocs, a la moog!   She looks quite content.

• Like 1

We did 60 plus blue gill in Mendon Ponds on Sunday in about 2 hours plus a couple of bullhead and a few bass.  It was actually boring catching one on almost every cast. 

As primarily a cold water fisherman, what is a decent sized blue gill?  Caught quite a few in that 6-8' range on Sunday.  Seemed bigger than I remember.  If they were 10lbs, they would be a great fight.  Spunky.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Moog , use the PA chest measurement chart for live weight on those blue gills. 

Holy smokes, we released 400lbs of good fish.  By the way, it should be 6-8 inch not foot range.  Even I know a 6 foot blue gill is big!

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Yesterday after work, I figured Id fish our pond for a bit. Caught some Largemouths and a few perch. I discovered we have some monster perch in there. I caught 3 nice ones, this was the largest. Biggest perch Ive ever seen in person or caught.

perch.jpg

Swing up to the ponds on the south shore of Ontario right after ice out. I have aught 15-16" ones up there.  Have you caught any really small ones in there? might be worth dropping in a minnow trap and seeing what you have breeding in there. 

21 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Swing up to the ponds on the south shore of Ontario right after ice out. I have aught 15-16" ones up there.  Have you caught any really small ones in there? might be worth dropping in a minnow trap and seeing what you have breeding in there. 

I was thinking about doing that. I would like to know whats going on in there. So far I know we have bass, perch and a couple of big grass carp. I was planning on stocking bluegill and crappie as well.

I caught all 3 of them on the same thing I was using for bass, a wacky rigged Senko, so the hook was too big for any small fish.

49 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I was thinking about doing that. I would like to know whats going on in there. So far I know we have bass, perch and a couple of big grass carp. I was planning on stocking bluegill and crappie as well.

I caught all 3 of them on the same thing I was using for bass, a wacky rigged Senko, so the hook was too big for any small fish.

That dang Senko will catch fish anywhere, anytime!

How big, and how deep is your pond?  You'll want to keep an even amount of feed and fish in there, and not over crowd. If overcrowded, fish in ponds tend to become stunted. 

Gotta say, from what you have posted, the new property looks fantastic!

• Like 3

would agree with Grampy.  Those sunnies cert tend to do that unless you really keep the population down.  Problem is you get them in there and there are so many and they are so small you dont want to keep them and have a tough time getting the hook past them too.  But if just for a kid pond they give lots of bites.  Catfish are a nice addition as well and usually dont stunt as much or are as prolific as bullheads.  And for me crappies are ok but for an eating fish they are very good but there is nothing to them , even the bigger ones. they are so thin.   

and yeah senkos are the deal!  once saw a guy catch two lake trout off them on a little lake in jefferson county .  if it swims it eats senkos!

looks like a great property - would love my own pond.  Always wanted to have a pond with rainbows and browns in it.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Personally I would shy away from bluegill. They breed like mad and they will eat the hell out of the bass eggs and fry. Unless you keep catching and taking them out they will stunt easily and really push the carrying capacity of the pond. Those carp may be those grass carp to control the weeds.  Any idea what your water volume  or acreage of the pond is?? 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, grampy said:

That dang Senko will catch fish anywhere, anytime!

How big, and how deep is your pond?  You'll want to keep an even amount of feed and fish in there, and not over crowd. If overcrowded, fish in ponds tend to become stunted. 

Gotta say, from what you have posted, the new property looks fantastic!

Id say its about 1/2 acre or so, and from what I was told, its 15 feet deep, but I have yet to confirm that.

Yeah the property is awesome, theres just alot to do, as the previous owners were old and most of the gardens and landscaping has to be completely redone. Plus I have alot to do to get the tractor down to food plot areas, etc etc.

43 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Personally I would shy away from bluegill. They breed like mad and they will eat the hell out of the bass eggs and fry. Unless you keep catching and taking them out they will stunt easily and really push the carrying capacity of the pond. Those carp may be those grass carp to control the weeds.  Any idea what your water volume  or acreage of the pond is?? 

Yeah the carp are grass carp, Im keeping an eye on the vegitation, as I read that for the size pond we have, there should only be 1 in there. I may need to take one out.

Maybe Ill keep the gills out then.

27 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Id say its about 1/2 acre or so, and from what I was told, its 15 feet deep, but I have yet to confirm that.

Yeah the property is awesome, theres just alot to do, as the previous owners were old and most of the gardens and landscaping has to be completely redone. Plus I have alot to do to get the tractor down to food plot areas, etc etc.

But all that is fun too.  On the tractor doing what u want with new property. A cold beer in the summer, that's all good. 

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 10:22 AM, Buckmaster7600 said:

17 so far big ones 9lbs b74e38db7ad485ca756dad57949e11e8.jpg6d4a758706f368f3a6ce3ae025718e86.jpgb2425918b2f3e79b012d1b8df076c4de.jpg

Those are PURTY lakers….Much prettier than our more silverish Finger Lakes  version..

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 1

Fishing the Beaverkill on the way to Cornell today. A few browns and a rainbow couldn’t lay off the Ausable wulf this morning.

Can’t get pics to load??? After I clock the pic I usually get a size request- not getting that now???

• Like 3