Live From The Water 2018 Edition!

WNYBuckHunter

Not exactly "Live from the Water", and not technically NY (though I could see the Manhattan skyline)...

Jumped on a party boat last Saturday in NJ, had my limit of sea bass by 10:30, played catch & release the rest of the day.

Marine forecast looks OK for this weekend, going to head back for more sea bass Saturday, and try my hand at tilefishing Sunday. :D

34138880_875713602628812_887815670463463424_o.jpg

34156924_875713705962135_3028936878465220608_o.jpg

34284486_875713735962132_3635396620121538560_n.jpg

• Like 8

10 hours ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Are all you guys Correction officers? Not to change the subject.

nope, run a transp dept.   I take zero time off all winter and have been here a while. Have like 700 available hours on the books and i use mine to fish/hunt.  

Have a buddy in corrections and they can switch time pretty much at will, its amazing.  Good perk but also had to go thru a lot to get that and lets face it you work in a prison.  

These look fun to zing into some lily pads for northern pike. Buddy has been catching big musky with the largest flies you could imagine on the fly rod 

why cant I post pics from Tapatalk anymore ?! It allows me to select pic and  dies out  Anyone else ? 

F3D39A8C-B51A-4C63-B19C-D288006F5B1E.jpeg

These look fun to zing into some lily pads for northern pike. Buddy has been catching big musky with the largest flies you could imagine on the fly rod 
why cant I post pics from Tapatalk anymore ?! It allows me to select pic and  dies out  Anyone else ? 
F3D39A8C-B51A-4C63-B19C-D288006F5B1E.thumb.jpeg.9ba2a37e7c99339f85ba194feafd35b0.jpeg

I am having the same issue with the pic-I finally had good crap to post (Beaverkill trout!) and no one believes me!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got out today on the willowemoc and ended up with 2 11” Brookies. First time I’ve ever gotten a brook trout, first time I caught a fish on a fly and first time I caught a trout on a fly I made. First one hit a red and partridge and the second hit a black spider. I tied both and even shit the bird that I got the feathers for the black spider. I lost one big one and had a few more hits that I missed. All in all t was a good day on the river. I want to go tomorrow, but I doubt I will. I’m thinking I’ll go up again next week after Tuesday. IMG_7329.JPGIMG_7344.JPGIMG_7345.JPG

• Like 10

7 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Got out today on the willowemoc and ended up with 2 11” Brookies. First time I’ve ever gotten a brook trout, first time I caught a fish on a fly and first time I caught a trout on a fly I made. First one hit a red and partridge and the second hit a black spider. I tied both and even shit the bird that I got the feathers for the black spider. I lost one big one and had a few more hits that I missed. All in all t was a good day on the river. I want to go tomorrow, but I doubt I will. I’m thinking I’ll go up again next week after Tuesday. IMG_7329.JPGIMG_7344.JPGIMG_7345.JPG

nothing prettier than a brook trout.  Always wanted to catch a big one.  Biggest ever was a 14"  .  Have caught a slew of them in my young days trout fishing with Dad.  I have hiked in to a few places in the dacks but never got the big one. I always go at least once a year for a while for some brookies.  A lot of the spots i used to go to have been about fished out with the wild ones.  Used to be some rivers up in Lewis county where you could always get a few, now your lucky to get a couple browns. 

Nice catch!!  

• Like 1

Went out last night for a little dusk fishing on buck pond. My buddy landed a couple pike and a rock bass  and 5 perch. I Landed a small razor pike and a bullhead. We fished from 630 till 1230am Don't know why the bullhead weren't biting. .Overall just nice to get out and enjoy the water. Night boat fishing was different but a new experience.

• Like 1

Tough day on the water.  Got 5 bites the whole morn and not enough to even clean.. wasn't the only one.  Talked to several guys and they were scratching their heads.  Never saw another boat land one either and saw a lot of guys moving spot to spot.  One of those days......

Hoping it's better tomorrow.  Tempted to throw for some basses.  But I like banking those walleye and perch fillets.  

• Like 1

Went out last night for a little dusk fishing on buck pond. My buddy landed a couple pike and a rock bass  and 5 perch. I Landed a small razor pike and a bullhead. We fished from 630 till 1230am Don't know why the bullhead weren't biting. .Overall just nice to get out and enjoy the water. Night boat fishing was different but a new experience.
Buck Pond as in near Onchiota, NY?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Yup now your talking that's the one I'm talking about.
You're the first person I've ever heard of that's also fished it, growing up we would camp there every summer for a week, I fished the pond and the lake A LOT. I landed several northerns in the low to mid 30's, as well as a few largies that pushed 6 lbs. I love that place, it's been a few years since I've touched that water, god I need to get back, if nothing more than for nostalgic reasons. Very cool man, post up some pics so I can live vicariously through you!

• Like 1

What a difference a day makes.  5 hours on the water yesterday and struggle to get a bite.  Today limit out by 8 am.  Lost 2 others and didn't have to measure any of them.  

Shouldve went for some bassin after as the smallies got to be hot right now, but had fish to clean and the lake was getting busy.  

But a great morn on the water for sure.  Started out fishing near the crowd but wasn't graphing a thing and not a bite.  They were all deep.  So moved in off a shelf in 22 ft cause the water isn't that warm yet.  Got these and two other pike that I lost in about 45 minutes.  

rps20180610_100612.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, chrisw said:

You're the first person I've ever heard of that's also fished it, growing up we would camp there every summer for a week, I fished the pond and the lake A LOT. I landed several northerns in the low to mid 30's, as well as a few largies that pushed 6 lbs. I love that place, it's been a few years since I've touched that water, god I need to get back, if nothing more than for nostalgic reasons. Very cool man, post up some pics so I can live vicariously through you!

I will the next time we fish it. I'm usually already have my freezer full of bullhead by now. The ice never broke up there this year until almost the 3rd week of may. Last year I was fishing up there in late april. You know where the boat launch is we went out to the right and hit the channel b4 you go into kishqua lake. that's where we hit the northerns. You ever fish rainbow lake? There's lots of walleye in there. You can access from buck pond if you have a small enough boat.

• Like 1

I will the next time we fish it. I'm usually already have my freezer full of bullhead by now. The ice never broke up there this year until almost the 3rd week of may. Last year I was fishing up there in late april. You know where the boat launch is we went out to the right and hit the channel b4 you go into kishqua lake. that's where we hit the northerns. You ever fish rainbow lake? There's lots of walleye in there. You can access from buck pond if you have a small enough boat.
No I've never fished Rainbow lake, we always did better in the pond than on Kushuqua for some reason...

• Like 1

I have a question for you guys. I have the choice of going fishing Wednesday or Thursday (maybe both), but Wednesday it’s predicted to rain and Thursday it’s going to be good weather. What day would you suggest to be out? I would think Wednesday, but fly fishing for trout is new to me so I figured I’d ask the more experienced people.

43 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

I have a question for you guys. I have the choice of going fishing Wednesday or Thursday (maybe both), but Wednesday it’s predicted to rain and Thursday it’s going to be good weather. What day would you suggest to be out? I would think Wednesday, but fly fishing for trout is new to me so I figured I’d ask the more experienced people.

The correct answer is both ! 

• Like 2

I have had little luck fly fishing in rain(also have little experience since I don’t often see flies when the rain starts and I mostly just dry fly fish) ...now right before rain is a different story. Sometimes it seems like the bugs bust prior to a good rain

• Like 2

Had a fun weekend on Keuka with@Pygmy and@Otto. We fried up a mess of rock bass, huge perch, and my first ever laker. May have had a beer or nine as well lol. We had a raccoon come in and steal stuff each night, and apparently stuck his hands in the fry oil. Top it off with a big Quick Draw win! 5065f47de85a542d4adadc54bff6a1ef.jpgec548741b7b0b6ea277b3f31dd02769d.jpgf740c9664c48be3cfa262dfaef581610.jpgaf62dd20690d91fb45b26e2cba0ce00f.jpg1f3aa5cc7937b58b857432bbbee161f2.jpg298954d1fb50ccc5b31ce250e29949ae.jpg196df470077b0d621497e87b0ab98f54.jpge852bcc28b86b56cfe7cd62ca63238cb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 14

20180609_111838.thumb.jpg.37a531e32e78604e26cbf1b1b3666fef.jpg20180609_115425.thumb.jpg.4a72a9e1e9277ab3763f8c140f831dbc.jpg20180609_115939.thumb.jpg.32ec6a03f2c5806766152c59e98d4440.jpgFinally got the covers off, batteries charged an in, electronics set up and motor started. Just need to wash and wax. Will be on the water in a few days. Still super busy at work. But I feel a sickness coming soon.......cough......cough.

• Like 4