Would you rather woods or lake

BigVal

Some of you may have seen I'm in the process of looking for/potentially buying my first home. I obviously believe most of you would prefer woods but which one would you want to live on, the lake of your choice or some of your own property? Without getting into amounts of property etc, just which calls you more waking up to the water or woods? (Also obviously, both is preferred lol)

For me I lean towards woods to hunt deer, shoot bows, guns etc. But I'm not sure, living on the shore of lake Erie or Ontario sure draws me in. I could have my boat out the back door, fish, hunt waterfowl, etc. 

Just a fun question for those willing to share. 

I like the woods, I bought my first home 7 yrs ago.  I wanted a log home as secluded as possible.  I will tell you this, do not settle, and it may seem odd, but you will know the right house when you see it.  I looked at a good 100 houses i would estimate, from fixer uppers, to stick built plans, to spec houses already built,  even modulars.  I saw this one log home for a few months on zillow, and thought it looked dingy...so I always passed on it.  Well one day I said screw it, and went to look at it, log homes were always a dream of mine.  Anyways, as soon as I was half way up the driveway, and could see just the end of the cabin, I said out loud "this is it!".  The cabin was not at all what it was pictured online to be, pics did it ZERO justice.  I LOVE this place.  Point is, realtors can be GREAT photographers, and sometimes like in my case, can really suck.  Food for thought.  Oh, and lakes are great to visit in my opinion.  I wouldnt want to live on one, unless it was soley mine, and no other dwellings in sight, for many reasons.

Good luck, dont settle.

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 5

Both is the way to go if you can swing it.  My in-laws retirement home is on lake up in the Adirondacks that offers good smallmouth bass fishing and good deer hunting and it don't get much better than that in NY state.   It sure is nice to not have to choose between my two favorite outdoors pursuits.        

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bionic said:

I like the woods, I bought my first home 7 yrs ago.  I wanted a log home as secluded as possible.  I will tell you this, do not settle, and it may seem odd, but you will know the right house when you see it.  I looked at a good 100 houses i would estimate, from fixer uppers, to stick built plans, to spec houses already built,  even modulars.  I saw this one log home for a few months on zillow, and thought it looked dingy...so I always passed on it.  Well one day I said screw it, and went to look at it, log homes were always a dream of mine.  Anyways, as soon as I was half way up the driveway, and could see just the end of the cabin, I said out loud "this is it!".  The cabin was not at all what it was pictured online to be, pics did it ZERO justice.  I LOVE this place.  Point is, realtors can be GREAT photographers, and sometimes like in my case, can really suck.  Food for thought.  Oh, and lakes are great to visit in my opinion.  I wouldnt want to live on one, unless it was soley mine, and no other dwellings in sight, for many reasons.

Good luck, dont settle.

Thanks bionic I've looked at several and only have one that I really like, I'm in talks now but we'll see I don't get my hopes up and won't until it's a done deal. It happens to be in the woods lol

• Like 1

I live on Oneida lake and I would say the woods.  Love being right here and can be out fishing in10 minutes.  But I also lived on an old farm with land.  The best pick would be an old farm with a nice farm pond.  A private spot to fish and also your own hunting land. Water front taxes are expensive and you don't own the lake.  The woods and land is yours. And winter on a big lake is cold unless your an ice fisherman. 

I love where I am at , can fish in minutes, can walk into Sylvan beach for a beer and dinner, and my land lease is 6 minutes away for hunting.  

But if had the perfect choice an old farm with some land and a nice pond is the way to go.  As long as you don't mind some work. 

• Like 2

Just now, BigVal said:

Thanks bionic I've looked at several and only have one that I really like, I'm in talks now but we'll see I don't get my hopes up and won't until it's a done deal. It happens to be in the woods lol

Good for you, wish you the best of luck.  I think you are the same age I was when I bought this place.  It can be fun, and irritating.   I was also a bit of a creeper too when I was about ready to buy this place.  I went on taxlookup.org and looked at all the houses on my road to see who lives where, as there are a lot of summer homes in this area for NYC people.  Also, if theres a giant tract of land say near you, its always nice to see who owns it.  Down in the southern tier we deal with NYC water, and gas pipelines, and giant power lines where they try to take your land by eminent domain for NYC supply.  I actually went to the town hall, and asked if there were any proposed projects in talks, for the area.  Sounds paranoid,  but my dads house they wanted to follow the train tracks behind him with these monster power lines, and take his home by eminent domain, because they needed a certain width of land for the powerlines.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bionic said:

Good for you, wish you the best of luck.  I think you are the same age I was when I bought this place.  It can be fun, and irritating.   I was also a bit of a creeper too when I was about ready to buy this place.  I went on taxlookup.org and looked at all the houses on my road to see who lives where, as there are a lot of summer homes in this area for NYC people.  Also, if theres a giant tract of land say near you, its always nice to see who owns it.  Down in the southern tier we deal with NYC water, and gas pipelines, and giant power lines where they try to take your land by eminent domain for NYC supply.  I actually went to the town hall, and asked if there were any proposed projects in talks, for the area.  Sounds paranoid,  but my dads house they wanted to follow the train tracks behind him with these monster power lines, and take his home by eminent domain, because they needed a certain width of land for the powerlines.

Yes sir not strange at all I'm in the process of doing just that. So far so good, a little nerve racking going into this process but I'm really excited! And happy to be doing so, I've always wanted to buy a house at a relatively yound age. 

• Like 1

I have the best of all 3 worlds.  as much as I despise living in NYS  I am 2 minutes from lake Ontario and I can walk out my door and hunt if I choose.  Or I can go home and be on the farm with the closest neighbor almost a mile away with literally thousands of  acres of land to hunt right from my doorstep. 

• Like 1

Water....grew up a mile from lake Erie and now own a home 500 yards as a crow flies from Lake Erie...this home also came with the ability to buy into private beach access. We will be taking full advantage of it this summer now that my boys are a little older.

As far a woods I can't complain the properties I hunt are 15 minutes and 30 minutes from the house.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Years ago when I was doing construction . We were remodeling a mansion on lake erie..it was a big job and took several months..in that time the lake went from a fun time seeing boats go by and attractive crews. To a soul sucking grey relentless barren landscape filled with waves that were ugly as they filled with slush and the unrelenting direct frigid breeze coming on shore. it was so bad the entire crew would stop working to watch a seagull fly by. 

That experience completely  changed my view of living on the water. Nice place to visit will never live there. That being said a wooded lot perhaps overlooking a nice pond is ideal and what I ended up with.. even if I had to make the pond

20180228_062140.thumb.jpg.ead1ef391f7c27fd5562eb33af568a3d.jpg

I have noted the exorbitant prices of lake front property, the ridiculous taxes, the lack of privacy, and the crazy overcrowding of lakes in our area, and opted for forested land and lots of it. Things are very quiet where I am with the occasional exception of a chainsaw off in the distance, or the birds. And then there is the deer grazing in the front yard or once in a while a fox or coyote will sprint across the yard. I like the idea of simply walking around our hill when it comes time to hunt. I have nobody bobbing around in a boat staring in our front window, or some noisy party going on that isn't ours. Also, there is far less maintenance or occasional disasters from Mother Nature.

• Like 1