Would you rather woods or lake

BigVal

After living on a lake while having our house built I can honestly say I would rather live in the woods. While living on the water is nice it is almost impossible to find the  perfect piece of property. In our area homes on the water are crammed  together and you could spit and hit your neighbors house and few if any lots are level.

While I like what the water has to offer I will take a quite place in the woods any day.

14 hours ago, BigVal said:

Some of you may have seen I'm in the process of looking for/potentially buying my first home. I obviously believe most of you would prefer woods but which one would you want to live on, the lake of your choice or some of your own property? Without getting into amounts of property etc, just which calls you more waking up to the water or woods? (Also obviously, both is preferred lol)

For me I lean towards woods to hunt deer, shoot bows, guns etc. But I'm not sure, living on the shore of lake Erie or Ontario sure draws me in. I could have my boat out the back door, fish, hunt waterfowl, etc. 

Just a fun question for those willing to share. 

Buy both! haha but seriously we bought our cottage first because we had land to hunt. If you have land to hunt that you own why not get the cottage. You really can't go wrong with a cottage if you can get it for the right price. There is always land popping up for sale but good water front is tough to find. Our cottage was a complete dump not habitable so we got it cheap and fixed it up. The waterfront has deep clear water which is tough to find in general. We paid 55k for 2 lots 50'x180' for the front lot with a cottage and a 1.1 acre lot across a private drive from the cottage. We put about 10k into the cottage and is now worth around 80k for just the front lot. The back lot will be worth around 25k once I put the pole barn and driveway in. You need to weigh the benefits. I love to fish and do it all summer so the cottage was the right move. If you love to hunt and don't really fish then land would be a better move for you. It is tough to find a cheap cottage or land so when one pops up you need to be fast about it and don't drag your feet.

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 1

I would rather have a small piece of land with a stream/creek/brook than to live directly on a lake.Not that a lake isn't nice but would/do like the sound of running water.Never caught many/none craw/cray fish from a lake

If by water you mean a lake in let's say the Adirondacks, then I would suggest there is nothing better than sitting on a dock at twilight and listening to loons.

Brook, stream, river, pond, lake or ocean, water is not only a focal point for wildlife but more importantly, it has a calming effect on the mind. My current place is in the woods with two ponds and multiple springs. I can sit for hours on the deck and watch the water and the songbirds, hawks, frogs, snakes, racoons, deer, porcupines, fishers, insects and fish that are drawn to it. Without those ponds, I wouldn't have bought the place. 

They're not making any more waterfront. Grab some if you can.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BigVal said:

I hate kids so I'm in the clear! 

Joking (kinda) but I plan on waiting a little bit for kids, which of course could change any day haha

Quote from W.C. Fields...." Anyone who hates dogs and children can't be ALL bad..".......Hehehe....

Ive lived on the water (directly on Tampa Bay) and now I live in the woods. Ill be honest, its a toss up for me, I love both. I will say though, that I do not enjoy having my neighbors too close, and the cost/taxes of waterfront property in this state are insane.

When we were house shopping last summer and fall, we looked at a house on Honeoye Lake. It was a very nice house, the view of the lake was amazing, but the neighbors were less than 100 feet away on both sides, there was only about 1/2 acre of land, and the house was right near the road. Now Honeoye Lake isnt that bad traffic wise, as its such a small lake, but we did not like the neighbors being so close, with no real way to block them out from the view. The house we ended up buying has 15 acres of wooded land, we are at the end of a 1/2 mile long private road with only 3 other houses on it, and when the leaves are on the trees, you cant even see any of the neighbors. Both homes were around the same price. The one on the lake was half the size and half again the taxes. The house we bought has a big pond, with a floating dock and it stocked with Largemouth and Bluegills, so I can fish right in my back yard, plus I can hunt the 15 acres of woods. It was a pretty easy choice when it came down to it.

• Like 2