Your heaviest arrow

moog5050

I know some like lighter arrows for flatter trajectory.  I tend to like heavy arrows especially with trad bows.  Quiet and tons of momentum.  So I was messing around tonight with my fastest recurve and loaded it up with a 947g arrow.  It shot great with reasonable speed for a single string bow.  Not sure I will go that heavy for hunting (usually between 650-700) but what is the heaviest arrow you have hunted with?  I see little downside to extra weight in the ranges I shoot.  

947 would be perfect for moose!

back in the day I hunted with 2317s and 125 grain heads and I seem to remember total arrow weight was around 500 to 525 grains. now I hunt with 430 grain weight arrows and I am still pulling half the shaft out of the ground after a pass through..

16 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Heavy arrows arent really required with a compound especially targeting whitetail.  But I Figured someone here would have done some elk or moose hunting with heavy arrows with a trad bow.  I have heard 900-1000g is not unheard of.  

you go anything bigger your gonna have to call it in to the air force!  Airstrike !  - Broken Arrow!  lol 

i think those 1000 grain arrows are called spears Moog! 

• Like 1

I think a 600 grn arrow is perfect for anything in north america.  Guys are regularly taking elk with 45 lb recurves and 600 grn arrows. Heavier arrows are better all around.  They hit harder and make everything much quieter.  You have to remember that elk are big animals but that aren't thick skinned as per say African game.  

450 grains at 53 lbs. pull. Complete pass through last year, at ten yards, and buried in the ground eight inches. 

Same set up on my grandson's bow. But will increase his poundage this year. Should I get him heavier arrows?

1 minute ago, grampy said:

450 grains at 53 lbs. pull. Complete pass through last year, at ten yards, and buried in the ground eight inches. 

Same set up on my grandson's bow. But will increase his poundage this year. Should I get him heavier arrows?

I don't think its needed.  450 is on the heavy end for most compound shooters anyways.  I was more curious about anyone that shot crazy heavy arrows at some point. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

By the time I get those 34" arrows I picked up last fall paired with a broadhead, fletched and ready to roll I may be pretty heavy.  Arrow, insert, nock and 200 gr broadhead (If I settle there) is gonna have it at 560 and they aren't fletched yet

If you mean the axis 260, you will be closer to 650 with 200g head!

3 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I meant the Black Eagle Vintage 350's I picked up that were the full 34" length.  I they are 9.8 gpi. I moved over to them  to get rid of our length concerns when a broadhead is on. 

Yep, that will work.  The axis 260 are also 34" at 11.5gpi but probably stiff for your DW (although maybe not with that freaking DL).

1 minute ago, moog5050 said:

Yep, that will work.  The axis 260 are also 34" at 11.5gpi but probably stiff for your DW (although maybe not with that freaking DL).

Dam. Didn't know they were 34" too. Finding a 34" arrow is like finding hen's teeth. You really get some strange comments when you ask about a 34" arrow. lol

2 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Dam. Didn't know they were 34" too. Finding a 34" arrow is like finding hen's teeth. You really get some strange comments when you ask about a 34" arrow. lol

Because its a crazy long DL!  Your arrow at 40lbs will be faster than most at 55lbs!

congrats Moog! you've surpassed north korea's missile program!

i only have one recurve right now that tosses something just under 600 grains from what i remember. compound setups vary between 3D and hunting.  they're anything from 350 grains up to something just under 500 grains.  been awhile since i touched my archery stuff or sat at my bench. i can't even get to my bench right now.

• Like 1