Off topic, not hunting but man it's a fun hobby

burmjohn

Now that was cool!  The evidence of your skill, is that I thought we were going to crash a few times while watching the video, and didn't!!!  How long have you been piloting drones?  I imagine there is quite a learning curve to get that good.

Could you give a little basic info on the drone itself?  

Nice property and cabin!

2 hours ago, Arcade Hunter said:

Great video!   I am in the RC hobby too... have one drone but I cannot fly it like you!  I am getting good at rc planes... I have a 76" Cessna 182 and a 56" powered glider waiting to be maidened..  Everything I have is electric, Taranis radio system (Frsky)

Nice, I love it, been doing it for just over a year and have built at least 9 racing drones already. Love the Taranis, it's what I use. BTW the new r-xsr receivers are awesome and weigh like a gram. 

• Like 1

It's my dad's cabin / retirement home and my weekend getaway when I can. 

For those that are interested this is what my drones look like, all built and programed from scratch. No auto leveling or GPS bs, these are made for racing and freestyle. It is hard to learn at first, but after the 2-3 month learning curve it's smooth sailing. 

I bought a 3d printer right after I got into the hobby quickly realizing I'll be using that a lot. Posted another video below of some racing from last year, it's just way to much fun.  

My wife thinks I'm crazy and wants to kill me. 

20180305_222507.jpg

20180301_001505.jpg

20180303_143001.jpg

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Very interesting Burmjohn, thanks for posting.

Was thinking of getting a Parrot Bebop 2 this year. I've never owned, flew, or even been with someone flying a drone. Good beginner/newbie model to start with?

Depends, what is your budget? For photography and portability and ease of use the Mavic Air is pretty neat. 

Boys don't grow up, their toys just get more expensive.

I went with the Mavic Pro a little over a year ago.  Flown it all of like 3 or 4 times.  If I'm not at work, I'm with my son and he obviously wants to mess with it when he see's me with it so the only time I get to fly is when I have the day off, weather is good, and my son isn't with me.

• Like 1

$500-$1000 I guess. Thanks, I wasn't aware of that particular model yet.
Definitely check it out. You could also get a referbed Mavic pro, but the air is pretty neat and has a few more sensors then the pro.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Now, that really does look like fun. But I suspect that with my not-so-great eye/hand coordination, I would go broke with repairs and replacements. Are those videos "real-time" or are they sped up. The speed looks tremendously fast. I think I would be all smashed up in a tree inside of a 1/2 minute or so. I never could play video games that required flying. It requires abilities that I just don't have.....lol.

Now, that really does look like fun. But I suspect that with my not-so-great eye/hand coordination, I would go broke with repairs and replacements. Are those videos "real-time" or are they sped up. The speed looks tremendously fast. I think I would be all smashed up in a tree inside of a 1/2 minute or so. I never could play video games that required flying. It requires abilities that I just don't have.....lol.
Those videos are real time. My drone builds can do about 0 to 100mph in 2 seconds :) I can kill a battery in 2 minutes flat. I have a lot of batteries haha.

I gave up on R/C aircraft when the 35% scale airplanes drained my bank account. I have several friends who still race the quads around, though. Pretty cool stuff. Enjoy!
Yeah airplanes are neat but one crash and you done. I break the quads a lot but repairs are pretty cheap and take quite the beating before breaking.

If you are looking to do photography, and are prepared to spend $1000, I would suggest going with the DJI Phantom 4 refurbed from DJI. You can get them for less than $700 and it will give you everything to get started. Some good add ons that will keep you under a grand would be a multi battery charger and 3-4 extra batteries. The Mavics are nice, but the Phantom 4 gives you a much better camera, more flight time, etc.