R.I.P. Stephen Hawking

Water Rat

5 minutes ago, virgil said:

So, is this an attempt to mock the disabled, or is it simply another example of the tolerance of the faithful?

Don't really understand your question?  I simply think this is something that those who are believers would find humorous since Hawking did not believe in heaven or an afterlife.  I am not saying I agree with this attempt in humor, but that's how I see it.  More to do with Hawking not believing than it does with his disability.  Just a typical type joke that both sides of the political aisle will throw at each other these days.  Wooly in his above post may have been joking, but I would agree that people these days are way too sensitive about everything.  People have become zombies and actually don't even understand humor or sarcasm anymore.   

• Like 2

After thinking about it .

I think showing a atheist   going to heaven should not really offend anybody .

To me it would be offensively if the picture showed him going to hell .

I don't think his disability had anything to do with it .

I mean why would anyone get offended showing a picture of them going to heaven a better place .

Reserved for the good. Even if he was a atheist .

Edited by Storm914

4 minutes ago, GreeneHunter said:

I miss the " Lets Offend Everybody " jokes !

One of my favorites is  " Foreigners Around the World"  by P.J.  O' Rourke, originally published in "National Lampoon" in the mid 70s...Hehehehe....A masterpiece of  ethnic political INcorrectness....Hehehe.... Check it out...

• Like 1

Hawking was a brilliant theoretical physicist who managed to survive for more than 50 years with ALS. He had been given a two year life expectancy after the diagnosis. He may have believed there was no God, but he didn't buck those odds on his own regardless of what he believed.  ALS took a good friend of mine in just over two years. I miss him. Man plans, and God laughs, I guess.

I'm neither offended nor particularly amused by the meme. It is what it is.

On 3/15/2018 at 12:07 PM, steve863 said:

Hawking was famous for saying that there is no heaven or afterlife, so I think that's where they were going with that picture.  I think it had more to do with him being a non-believer than about his disability.

yes we all get the joke. 

On 3/15/2018 at 12:18 PM, wooly said:

Why TF is everyone's so sensitive about everything these days?

It's a meme, they aren't supposed to be nice.

I'm logging off again.... for good this time! :no:

I have a pretty good sense of humor. I just find it distasteful the day after someone dies... if you're truly a religious person you would know Jesus would not condone treating even non-believers this way. We all have enemies, but celebrating a death at the expense of a horrible illness because it's funny or because he shared a different view? IDK...

btw, I can't stand Louise Slaughter, but I wasn't throwing a party after she passed. I guess you all can do as you please, but our member numbers aren't exactly growing... 

It is no more offensive to him personally as it is to me personally when “ briiliant” minds such as the departed treat believers like myself as Living a fairy tales. Furthermore, as the departed did not believe in an afterlife, he most likely wouldn’t be offended by being treated like the remnants of a petrie dish after an experiment.  

52 minutes ago, GreenDrake said:

It is no more offensive to him personally as it is to me personally when “ briiliant” minds such as the departed treat believers like myself as Living a fairy tales. Furthermore, as the departed did not believe in an afterlife, he most likely wouldn’t be offended by being treated like the remnants of a petrie dish after an experiment.  

you quote "brilliant" like you're even playing the same game as hawking. Him not believing doesn't mean he crusaded against religion. geez, take the high road and show some respect. I hope neither you or any family members ever succumb to ALS.

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 11:52 AM, Belo said:

pretty shitty water rat. Guy was a brilliant mind suffering from a horrible condition. but I guess I shouldn't expect much less from you as a followup to your woman's day post. 

29342880_1714019095299984_3698594946463301632_n.jpg.9dcde18606c65edccdaee40ca3c0d047.jpg

37 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Nobody can prove that he did not not accept Jesus Christ as his savior before he passed.  If he did, then he is with Him now, and will remain for eternity.  That choice is there for all of us.     

They say guys like him go to limbo when they die  at least in some versions of Christianity.

5 hours ago, Belo said:

you quote "brilliant" like you're even playing the same game as hawking. Him not believing doesn't mean he crusaded against religion. geez, take the high road and show some respect. I hope neither you or any family members ever succumb to ALS.

Not at all. First, you do not know what horrible ailments my dear family members have suffered so please do not assume I am immune from the pains of illness. My statement was directed only to his atheism. But I do wonder...did Mr. Hawking ever wonder if it was divine intervention that allowed him to live so long and be productive through his horrible illness?  Certainly it was not physics that saved him. 

I am FAR ftom a bible thumper; however, I take great offense to scholars that make believers feel as if we are gullible morons. 

• Like 2