Back in my day......

Robhuntandfish

3 minutes ago, grampy said:

Back in my day..........

The worst punishment. Was to keep us INDOORS!

X2....  I faked sick once.  Mom kept me home from school.  When all my friends got home from school and were outside playing, mom said I couldn't go out because I was sick.  Didn't quite work out as I planned.  Lol

1 minute ago, Salmon_Run said:

Back in my day....

You actually had to talk face to face with friends (enemies) and didn't become an electronic tough guy. 

Yeah...That's when I learn very quickly that I  was a LOVER, not a WARRIOR......Hehehe...

• Like 1

We went out and got a job and earned a living....not letting other hard working peoples tax dollars pay for me to sit at home and get free income , food stamps, utility payments. education, medical insurance etc etc etc.........

• Like 4

I remember as a teenager being able to purchase ammo without my Mommy or Daddy at hardware stores and gun shops.

All my friends in my hood had guns for one reason only, HUNTING.  I guess some would call us a gang that did not murder, rape, commit robbery, sell dope or use dope.  

I do not remember seeing any of those silly GUN FREE ZONE signs to pollute my intellect!

• Like 2

I finished up my trapline and chores just before boarding the school bus. I was always walking around the school hallways with a big old hunting knife on my belt. Try doing that today.....lol. Nobody thought anything about it back then.

• Like 1

a typical summer day would be to fish the local pond in the morning, then fold boxes at the pizza joint to get a slice for lunch, then to the golf course to pickup golf balls and make a buck or two, then a pickup lot football game....

or at camp fish in the morning, do some swimming, chase red squirrels with the BB gun, sell some corn off the back of the pickup and back in for dinner time.....

all at 12 years old and out with a buddy or two.  We survived , didnt cause any real trouble and had a great time. 

Every generation thinks they have it harder then the ones after them. If the people were still alive before us they would be calling us Mary's.  "Boo hoo, you got to go outside and play everyday"  They would say they worked a double at the coal mine at 10 years old just to buy cigarettes to ease the hunger pains.

18 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Every generation thinks they have it harder then the ones after them. If the people were still alive before us they would be calling us Mary's.  "Boo hoo, you got to go outside and play everyday"  They would say they worked a double at the coal mine at 10 years old just to buy cigarettes to ease the hunger pains.

For the most part that is true unless you lived in the darkages with the black death . :)

I would say every generation after has had it a little better and better .

Back in the day 

You were gone at sunrise and mom was yelling as I headed out the door be home  by dinner. No checking in during the day.

we would build forts in the woods, swim in the crick, drink from the hose, play cowboys and Indians, red light green light, red rover red rover , hide and seek.

When I got to be a teenager it was riding 3 wheelers,  snow mobiles , fishing, hunting. 

And the biggest thing is getting my a$$ beat when I needed it, I look back at the times I did and I was a jerk no doubt.. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

Did anyone mention drinking from the garden hose ? You never wanted to be first in line on a hot day though .

We didn't have running water . Got drinking water from a pump at the well . Got wash water from a cistern . 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Miss the old days sometimes.  What else was back in youre day.....

rps20180315_125638.jpg

I recall a bunch of the upper classmen Taking off opening day of Pheasant Season . A lot of them were on the football team and we had to forfeit a game as they were put on the ineligible list for the week . Our football coach was not happy because it was a league game  ! 

On a side note , it was a common thing for some of the guys to have a shotgun or rifle in their car / truck and no one ever got shot . Then again , this was long before eating Tide Pods was a thing to do . 

• Like 2