Back in my day......

Robhuntandfish

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

Did anyone mention drinking from the garden hose ? You never wanted to be first in line on a hot day though .

Yes sir I did, and let me say if you were the first one to drink you learned very fast that you let the hose run for a minute.. 

• Haha 1

The little store by my house would sell us beer at age 13, today they proof me at age 59 .

Almost 50% of the adult population smoked , and the fatality rate from car accidents was double what it is today . 

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

The little store by my house would sell us beer at age 13, today they proof me at age 59 .

Yep we used to go in and we would buy a Matt’s bear ball and just cut the top off and dip our cups. Myself and my friends never got carded.. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rob-c said:

Yep we used to go in and we would buy a Matt’s bear ball and just cut the top off and dip our cups. Myself and my friends never got carded.. 

I remember a small store nearby that had a sign which read , " We Have Matts By The Balls " .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/15/2018 at 1:22 PM, philoshop said:

We didn't complain when we were paddled by the gym teacher when we screwed up and deserved it. The "safe space" was just being a good person.

We where paddled  by the principal and made to hold bowling pins out to the side in gym class if we where bad,, but of course that never happened to me...

Also in my neighborhood,, your neighbors had the right to whip your but and drag you home and then your parents thanked them and you got it again..

you smarten up quick...

• Like 2

As mentioned before, did stuff with friends, play ball, ride bikes, play touch football and when thirsty, head for a neighbors garden hose...of course, we asked permission to do so...We found stuff to do, but did not get into trouble and we didn't eat laundry detergent or whatever some fool kids do now. 

school called asking why i was out, on opening day. we'd come in for late breakfast. dad answered the phone and told them we were hunting and i'd be back tomorrow. mom would always write a "sick note", despite i don't know why. all my teachers would cheerfully ask would i got, not 'caught'.

Myself and two of my playmates would go with a guy whose father ran a restaurant . We would go at night and climb the beams in some barns to get baby pigeons which the father served in restaurant as squab . All this to earn a pizza to split between the 3 of us . The son was safe . He just held a flashlight . 

On 3/15/2018 at 1:22 PM, philoshop said:

We didn't complain when we were paddled by the gym teacher when we screwed up and deserved it. The "safe space" was just being a good person.

Man, I remember that! When I lived in Ripley in "82, our GYM coach would bust out the paddle for not wearing/forgetting your GYM clothes. He had holes drilled in that thing for better air flow! I remember the first time I got nailed and telling my mom about it, her response was "Remember your GYM clothes next time!". :O

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bowshotmuzzleloader said:

We where paddled  by the principal and made to hold bowling pins out to the side in gym class if we where bad,, but of course that never happened to me...

Also in my neighborhood,, your neighbors had the right to whip your but and drag you home and then your parents thanked them and you got it again..

you smarten up quick...

Where my family comes from if someone hit your child, the parents would beat that child even more for having to be hit by someone else lol. Not many places you can still do that

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Where my family comes from if someone hit your child, the parents would beat that child even more for having to be hit by someone else lol. Not many places you can still do that

My older sister was "dating" this one kid in high school. He was on the wrestling team and took karate after school. A real bad ass at the time.

One day he punched my sister and pushed her down while he was over.  I was too young and scrawny compared to him to do anything about it so I ran inside to tell my old man.

My old man ran out and slapped that boy silly all around our yard, then threw him in the truck, and dropped him back off at home to face his parents. One of my fondest childhood memories,lol

The next day that boy got on the school bus with 2 black eyes and many other obvious cuts, bruises, and abrasions that appeared to be covered up by his pants that prevented him from walking normal! He didn't look at anybody, and never spoke a word. His father was also the karate instructor in town and I believe he taught him a few NEW kung-fu moves that night,lol

• Like 4

All I can say is I lived outdoors as much as possible. I pedaled bike all over to get to the river, the woods, or the park 5 miles away to play whatever sport was in at the moment. During trapping season I lived at my buddy's house and deer season he lived at my house.

At 14 years old, we both made over $1000 on mink and muskrats. This was at a time when a good paying job in the area was a little over $200 a week. I wish i could tell you it was all spent wisely, but that would be a huge lie.

I was a pain in the ass and got my share of whoopings. There were some memorable ones that my mom and I laugh about now. It didn't ruin my life like they claim nowadays. It was part of learning respect, manners, and that there were consequences for my actions.

I can honestly say that I loved my childhood and teen years, and I feel sorry for the majority of youngsters today.