The problem with your scenario is that there isn’t a perfect gun or cartridge.

A lightweight revolver in 41mag or 44mag with a quality hollow point bullet would be ideal for ending a wounded bears day. However the scenario could change quickly and the gun you choose could very easily become a personal defense weapon if said wounded bear decides he’s still got some fight in him. Here is where a semi would be ideal. When stressed accuracy falls and the more holes you can get into a critter the better of you’ll be. This is where a light revolver sucks and a semi shines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I’m leaning towards a .357 mag right now. If I can find a place to rent a .44 mag and 10mm I might consider those options as well.

Unfortunately I don’t know of any ranges that rent hand guns in those calibers.

If I end up with a buy I’ll post pictures.

Buddy of mine swears by his G20 (10mm) and he's got some really fat ninja bears on his hunting land.
This plus Underwood ammo, 220 grain hardcast hit like a ton of bricks, out of my G20 with as 6 inch barrel is devastating.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

I own both 357mag and 44mag i feel either well do the job of an easy and quick kill of a wounded animal.Also well fend off any attack of animal in these NY woods......I also like revolvers more then semi auto's again I own both....Good luck....Let us know which you decide on...
Ruger just came out with a 10mm super redhawk

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, Padre86 said:

Even so, I think pistols can’t have a barrel length any longer than 16”; I’ve no intent of carrying a pistol anywhere close to that size. 

To clarify, long guns can't be 16 or under or it is a SBR.  A pistol can be over. I know it certainly wouldn't fit your bill in those lengths. 

I've shot the 357,41 and 44 Mags. I've used the 357 to dispatch deer. I would opt for the 41 given your previous comments. I would want it heavier than the 357  and you seem concerned about the 44 recoil (it is "stout" with a heavy hunting load). The 41 would be a perfect compromise. 

10mm and .357 are almost exactly the same energy wise except the 10mm is .40 caliber vs .38. I would go with something big enough to take down a bear but still able to get multiple rounds out of the gun accurately because you won't always hit on the 1st shot when in a life or death situation. I would recommend either the 10mm or .357. I like pistols so I personally would opt for the 10mm.

Edited by chas0218

10mm and .357 are almost exactly the same energy wise except the 10mm is .40 caliber vs .38. I would go with something big enough to take down a bear but still able to get multiple rounds out of the gun accurately because you won't always hit on the 1st shot when in a life or death situation. I would recommend either the 10mm or .357. I like pistols so I personally would opt for the 10mm.

Yes, on average .357 seems to throw slightly smaller projectiles but at a faster velocity and higher energy; I think the hunting rounds can peak at 750 to 800 lb ft.

10mm is capable of throwing heavier grain bullets, though the hunting rounds I’ve seen suggested so far seem to be par with the .357 and the energy delivery is a little bit lower.

Honestly both of them seem similar enough that they can accomplish the same task. I prefer the manual of arms of a da/sa revolver over that of a glock 20; if I can find a 10mm platform that I like, I will look heavily at the 10mm as well.

i carry my kimber 1911 chambered in .45 when i bear hunt and scout. Not because i think it's ideal but because it's the biggest i have lol. I'm also not sure I could justify a larger chambered pistol that had a barrel short enough to comfortably carry with all my gear and climber. I am looking for a nice .44 mag, but it would have a nice long barrel on it and I still would probably cc my .45.

2 hours ago, Padre86 said:

Yes, on average .357 seems to throw slightly smaller projectiles but at a faster velocity and higher energy; I think the hunting rounds can peak at 750 to 800 lb ft.

10mm is capable of throwing heavier grain bullets, though the hunting rounds I’ve seen suggested so far seem to be par with the .357 and the energy delivery is a little bit lower.

Honestly both of them seem similar enough that they can accomplish the same task. I prefer the manual of arms of a da/sa revolver over that of a glock 20; if I can find a 10mm platform that I like, I will look heavily at the 10mm as well.

From what I have read the 10mm has more energy than the .357 loaded with the same gr. bullet. You will also fit more in the mag than in a cylinder. You can get longer barrels for the glock if need be as well. Like you mention you can also get heavier bullets than .357. All comes down to what you want. If you want to compare the 10mm to something it is closer to a .41 than a .357.

• Like 1

Not that you probably care but my next pistol is going to be 10mm. I have a .40 and reloading for the 10mm is all the same except more powder. Probably more cartridge than I'll ever need but overkill isn't always a bad thing.

Edited by chas0218

How I would go about tracking a wounded Bear.

My tracking dog would of course be an "Airedale" the best all around breed of hunting dog on the planet!:pleasantry:

My weapon of choice would be a light short fast handling rifle, my little Marlin 94 in 44 mag with the 16 inch ported barrel firing 300 grain Nosler HPs, using ghost ring open sights, it would fit the bill pretty nice.

If I were forced to carry a handgun it would be a model 29 Smith and Wesson 44 mag with the 6 1/2 barrel firing those same 300 grain Noslers.

Catching up to any Bear with some rock and roll left in it will have the Airedale to contend with while I am filling it full of 300 grain Noslers.

The Airedale pictured is actually one of my dogs owned by a fellow in Canada who has taken several Bear with her.

Al

2018-03-20_101148.png

82388_01_marlin_1894_45lc_16_ogca_eidit_640.jpg

Mod. 29 .44 004.JPG

Edited by airedale
  • Like 3

Lots of assumptions  being thrown out, so I went to buffalo bore and checked the numbers for their heavy outdoorsman loads( buffalo bore is known to have accurate data on their loads ) 

357 - 180 grain hardcast  out off a 3 inch s&w j frame 1302 FPS 

10 mm - 220 grain hardcast from a 4.6 inch barrel Glock 20 1140 FPS

and from a para ordinance 1911 with 5 inch barrel 1201 FPS 

41 mag - 230 grain Keith bullet from 4.5 barrel s&w mountain gun  1310 FPS 

Padre 86 were do u live one of  us guys might  be close enough to let you shoot one of our 357,44 or 10mm’s

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 2