Rifle spotting scope

For range work at that yardage you don't need a top of the line scope. I'd check out Vortex, Celestron  or Bushnell. Heck, even some of the cheap Chinese spotters will work for seeing bullet holes at 200 yards.

Edited by bugsNbows
  • Like 1

On 3/18/2018 at 5:39 PM, Merlot said:

I am looking at purchasing a spotting scope, to aid me when zeroing in rifles. Out to 200 yards and see where I hit will work for me. Not much of an expert here, so whatever help you can provide will be appreciated.

What's your budget?

Doug at Camerland has some hard to beat prices on demo/open box optics all the time.  Although I haven't bought from him, I know many that have and happily. 

http://cameralandny.com/

3 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

What's your budget?

Doug at Camerland has some hard to beat prices on demo/open box optics all the time.  Although I haven't bought from him, I know many that have and happily. 

Oops, deleted this part somehow: My Zeiss is a variable 15-45 with 65mm objective.  200 yards is no sweat to spot holes after that, depending on your target paper it can get difficult.  Sometimes I use cardboard deer silhouettes way out there and those holes can be a little more difficult.  White paper targets are pretty good for spotting holes......

You are also going to need some type of tripod.  I forget what mine is (I checked, it is a SLIK Spirit Mini II) but it works great on the bench.  The legs open supper wide so it's good and steady in on a breezy day.  I think I paid extra for the ball head but don't recall......

On 3/24/2018 at 9:12 AM, Lawdwaz said:

What's your budget?

I had good luck with cameraland, but stopped using them since they stopped carrying Vortex

Most of the spotting scopes will work out to 200 yds. and further. The whatever the scope is mounted on is what makes the difference , as do not buy something that shakes the second you touch it,  And find something that you can adjust up and down and side to side.

On 3/26/2018 at 11:42 AM, WNYBuckHunter said:

I had good luck with cameraland, but stopped using them since they stopped carrying Vortex

Huh; when did that happen? Didn't notice last time was browsing their site.

Used a Razor series spotting scope of theirs for a week and was thoroughly impressed. 

10 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

Huh; when did that happen? Didn't notice last time was browsing their site.

Used a Razor series spotting scope of theirs for a week and was thoroughly impressed. 

Im not sure. I went to check prices not long ago and they dont list Vortex as one of the brands they carry.

• 4 months later...

We've been using a Redfield and a Konus (my son shoots competitively).  The Redfield is 20-60x80, sells for around $350.  Redfield is owned by Leupold now.  I will only ever buy Leupold optics again at this point.  

The Konus is also very good, 60 mm objective.  For some reason, we fight over the Redfield.  

I have about a half-dozen cheaper spotting scopes (Bushnell, Barska, etc.).  I am a firm believer in going as good as you can afford plus-1 for optics.  Nothing like a crappy scope to ruin your day.  

I don't use a spotting scope at all for zeroing rifles at 200 yards or less.  I use white paper with two orange dots on it for a target.  The lower dot is where I aim and the upper dot is where I want the bullet to impact if I want it hitting above point of aim. 

For most of my rifles, at 100 yards the bullet hits the top dot, which is usually 2" high.  At 200 yards it hits the lower dot, which I'm aiming at.  My rifles are on at 200 yards.

I can see the bullet holes in the white paper and the orange dot, with the rifle's scope set at 9 power.  Works well, saves a lot of time and the money to buy a spotting scope.  I can also just put some tape over the holes to keep using the same target to zero in if needed.

Try it sometime.

I have 5 pair of binocs from compact to 10x50.  They seem to satisfactorily cover all of my glassing needs.  I would not spend money for a spotting scope unless I was shooting in competition or hunting big game out west looking for them at long distances.