New Gun Laws In The Works

ALBANY — Gov. Cuomo wants to increase the background check waiting period for the purchase of firearms in New York to a maximum 10 days, the Daily News has learned.

“We need to do everything in our power to keep guns out of the hands of people too dangerous to have them,” a Cuomo administration official said Saturday.

Cuomo intends to make the issue a priority in the final weeks of the state budget talks with the Legislature, which are set to conclude by April 1, the administration official said.

“In light of the school shooting tragedy in Florida, the governor is seeking to make the SAFE Act, which is already the strongest gun safety law in the country, even stronger,” the Cuomo source said. “This is about the safety of New Yorkers and the safety of our children.”

Under current law, anyone seeking to purchase a pistol, shotgun or rifle in New York must undergo a background check. That check has three possible outcomes. The first allows the purchase to proceed immediately. The second is a denial of the sale. And the third is a call for a delay in the delivery of the gun.

That delay, under current law, can last only up to three days and then the gun can be delivered to the buyer.

Cuomo will seek to push that maximum delay to 10 days. Doing so would give the FBI more opportunity to let the dealer know if they found something in the database that should kill the sale, supporters say.

The Democrat-controlled Assembly has already pushed a gun control package that includes the 10-day waiting period.

The proposed extension of the background check waiting period is the second gun control initiative Cuomo wants as part of the budget talks. He already had proposed a law that would take guns away from all convicted domestic abusers instead of just those convicted of felonies.

andrew-cuomo-gun-protest.jpg

cumo.jpg

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 1

This is just the beginning of the BS the anti gun crowd plans to implement.  And when you are denied a new gun for any of these made up rules, you not only get denied the new gun, you soon receive a letter telling you to turn in all of your firearms.

That's why the state had you register them.

• Like 3

What is very sad and totally unacceptable is Governor Cuomo's failure to improve school security.  Maybe he has no clue what school security really is.  I hope he reads my recent topic I posted.

More “Gun Control” is best explained with the true statement that “Insanity Is Doing the Same Thing Over and Over Again and Expecting Different Results”.

• Like 1

I have no problem with strengthening the background checks for gun purchases, but how about funding the activity such that extra waiting times is not necessary. No one ever looks at making government agencies work smoother, smarter, faster and more efficiently. Instead their first thought is to increase the harassment value on gun owners. That makes the effort fit in with the other harassments that gun owners already endure. And let's face it, harassment is exactly the purposes of most of the gun legislation and not serious efforts at thwarting crime. They cannot eliminate all guns through legal, constitutional means so their recourse is frustrate gun purchases.

• Like 1

Does this dumbo do anything that actually prevents gun violence? I read this morning he wants to ban bump stocks (already illegal in nys) and lengthen the time for a background check which sounds great but what will it actually do besides make the law abiding people wait longer. Normally criminals do not get their guns through reputable dealers.

Ok rant over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Does this dumbo do anything that actually prevents gun violence? I read this morning he wants to ban bump stocks (already illegal in nys) and lengthen the time for a background check which sounds great but what will it actually do besides make the law abiding people wait longer. Normally criminals do not get their guns through reputable dealers.

Ok rant over.

I think you can still get it on site at the time you apply. It is extending the current 3 day law to 10, maybe I read it wrong but I thought if you don't usually have to wait you won't be affected. But the bump stocks is a mute point as they are already illegal.

I'm 100% for reducing gun violence. The problem here is, enacting more laws, that do little or nothing, to curb the one or two percent of gun violence perpetrators. While the vast majority of law abiding gun owners, are forced to jump through hoops. ANY, laws passed that ONLY effect the law abiding, will have absolutely no bearing on gun violence! 

Instead of passing more laws based on fear, and headline grabbing. Look more closely at the mentally ill, the drug epidemic, domestic violence, and  inner city gangs. This is where the majority of gun violence is coming from! 

If a law was enacted, that would actually address the source of the 'problems', on gun violence, I for one would be on board with it. But common sense should dictate that passing more legislation on law abiding gun owners, will NOT solve the problem of gun violence!  

Why does no one consider that NYC, Chicago, LA, are some of the most gun restricted cities in the US, that also have the highest gun violence rates?

• Like 4

I think you can still get it on site at the time you apply. It is extending the current 3 day law to 10, maybe I read it wrong but I thought if you don't usually have to wait you won't be affected. But the bump stocks is a mute point as they are already illegal.

Correct. You can still get it on site that day if there are no issues the only change is if there is an issue it gives the FBI 10 days not 3 to complete a background check.

I wonder if he reached out to the FBI on this one or if he just assumes they will take 10 days. Like he assumed he could just use their system for background checks for ammo purchases in NYS as a part of his SAFE act. That went pretty well for him.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Correct. You can still get it on site that day if there are no issues the only change is if there is an issue it gives the FBI 10 days not 3 to complete a background check.

I wonder if he reached out to the FBI on this one or if he just assumes they will take 10 days. Like he assumed he could just use their system for background checks for ammo purchases in NYS as a part of his SAFE act. That went pretty well for him.

Yeah I'm not condoning the new laws because they will do nothing. Just like the almighty unconstitutional SAFE Act. People say they want common sense gun laws then they need someone with common sense to come up with the laws, but we all know that isn't going to happen.

26 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

As I understand the mechanic of the NICS check, after a delay you can have the gun transferred just as if it was an "accept" as long as a "deny" was not answered in the 3 day period. Does Fuhrer Cuomo think the Feds are going to keep working on it for 7 more days just for him and his silly new state law?

Edited by Steuben Jerry

1 minute ago, Steuben Jerry said:

As I understand the mechanic of the NICS check, after a delay you can have the gun transferred just as if it was an "accept" as long as a "deny" was not answered in the 3 day period. Does Fuhrer Cuomo think the Feds are going to keep working on it for 7 more days just for him and his silly new state law?

Bet the idiot does.

• Like 2

So, I disagree with everything in his law except for the domestic abuser thing.... felon or not any one convicted of domestic abuse should not have a fire arm period. Other then that cuomo is a piece of crap

Yeah I'm not condoning the new laws because they will do nothing. Just like the almighty unconstitutional SAFE Act. People say they want common sense gun laws then they need someone with common sense to come up with the laws, but we all know that isn't going to happen.
I agree the Safe act is unconstitutional, but have yet to see it overturned in whole. Items have been amended, magazine round limit, but why has there been no case to try and overturn it as of yet, it's been a couple of years.

He knows he got away with it once, and he'll do it again.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TACC said:

I agree the Safe act is unconstitutional, but have yet to see it overturned in whole. Items have been amended, magazine round limit, but why has there been no case to try and overturn it as of yet, it's been a couple of years.

NYSRPA filed a suit that was hopefully headed to SCOTUS. They withdrew when Scalia passed away in 2016.

Crickets since then.

4 minutes ago, philoshop said:

Please keep in mind that Andrew Cuomo desperately wants to be POTUS at some point. If he throws his hat in the ring in 2020 or 2024 people across the country need to know exactly what he's about.

He can throw is hat in the ring if he wants, but he will NEVER be POTUS.  I can guarantee you that.  Trump can be an arrogant cuss too, but the kind of arrogance that Cuomo possesses won't get him elected dog catcher nationally.  Bill Clinton and Obama were tame compared to him.  He clung onto his daddy's coattails to the governership, but that's as far as he is going to get.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve863 said:

He can throw is hat in the ring if he wants, but he will NEVER be POTUS.  I can guarantee you that.  Trump can be an arrogant cuss too, but the kind of arrogance that Cuomo possesses won't get him elected dog catcher nationally.  Bill Clinton and Obama were tame compared to him.  He clung onto his daddy's coattails to the governership, but that's as far as he is going to get.

I agree, to an extent. Cuomo will try, however, and there a lot of sheep/followers who will drink that koolaide. Being NYer's who have lived under that thumb, it's our job to make sure that the rest of the country knows where he stands if/when the time comes. The same can be said for Gillibrand. These are not good people.

• Like 4