Where would you pick to hunt

KMurph332

have no idea how to point this out (not real computer savvy) but i would look at the lower middle area in white just to the top left of that first little pond.  right near where the elevation starts and that little bump of it sticks out.  but really tough to tell.  I would generally always start with contour changes and where trails may be formed.  Then look for a food source and deer activity and go from there. 

or right between what looks like a road/trail and where elevation looks steep in the middle in green.  Might be a good funnel 

Edited by Robhuntandfish

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

have no idea how to point this out (not real computer savvy) but i would look at the lower middle area in white just to the top left of that first little pond.  right near where the elevation starts and that little bump of it sticks out.  but really tough to tell.  I would generally always start with contour changes and where trails may be formed.  Then look for a food source and deer activity and go from there. 

or right between what looks like a road/trail and where elevation looks steep in the middle in green.  Might be a good funnel 

Pinch points for sure. 

Lot of missing factors..prevailing wind, compass points.. pressure from public or private land.. personally with not enough in formation I would look at the bench saddle.at elevation 1440 to 1520 for most activity. If a high pressure area the small benched around 1600 ft on Right side of mountain in center of map.20180319_100855.thumb.jpg.5c5861190fe9c77df99ecabeb6f11ca2.jpg

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NonTypical said:

I like saddles myself. I would start on the right side. image.thumb.jpeg.55c66d21a55ad633eca3400edf2f0ba8.jpeg

The only problem with that spot you circled is i know a couple of people hunt it  it's public land but adk deer spook very easy and they have alot of room to hide

Always amazed with posts like this, how guys can start to pin point areas for deer hunting, before putting boots on the ground.  I do understand, well do understand the terms of which to look for, saddles, benches, drainages, pinch points, and when I feel I slightly can locate these spots on the topo maps, I see others input, and feel I had it wrong all along.

21 hours ago, stoneam2006 said:

What area of adks is this I hunt up there and there's a few features that remind me of my topo maps but don't have them on me. Feel free to pm if you want

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Its near schroon lake

21 hours ago, stoneam2006 said:

That's where I'd be heading...walk up stream checking sign and check that bowl2595d7c5045136585dfd19eee34c4ee1.jpg

I liked this spot as well its a very long walk to get to thats a good thing not many people if any at all

I liked this spot as well its a very long walk to get to thats a good thing not many people if any at all
Yea looks like a hike. That would be my first go. At least to see if it's good.

Not the same spot lol. Figured it wasn't but those few ponds looked pretty similar.