Gun cabinets

8 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

After looking at some of the safes suggested, with the capacity Im figuring Ill need (not advertised capacity), the prices are nuts. I got to thinking about alternatives and I have a crap load of unused space in my basement that has a cement ceiling. Im thinking cinder block walls and a steel vault door along with some lights, pegboard walls and a dehumidifier just to be safe ought to do it. I can get a vault door for half the price of the safe I would need, or less. With the cement ceiling and floor, it would be far more fireproof than any safe, I can customize everything to each specific gun, and good luck getting in.

Until then I think Ill just get another small cabinet like I have now. They are cheap and I can use them for ammo storage after I build the vault.

fine choice Mr Wick.

• Like 1

Mine is upstairs and put in a tight spot that it just squeezed into. Not likely anyone is ever getting it out of there without a lot of work and demo. And it stays when I leave i'm not dickin with it. I still hurt from getting it up there!! If I had a new place I would do a built in. Safes are too small and you can build something nicer and more user friendly.

Edited by Fletch

8 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I agree. Mine has 2 lags into the concrete floor and two into the wall. all 4 are 1/2". If they want it that bad have at it. I'll buy new ones. lol I am betting they wouldn't make it into the house anyway. Walking through the garage loaded with tools would probably side track them before they got there. 

mines not lagged because i didn't know if i wanted to put there indefinitely, despite it's in a good spot. doesn't matter you aren't getting it out unless you get into it and if you get into it then you don't need to. we took all the shelving out. still took multiple guys to move each piece.  i was still worried the stair treads wouldn't hold.

I have a cannon 100 gun. There ain’t no way in hell you could fit 100 guns in there even if half were pistols. I keep the valuable ones in there that fit and the rest are in other lockable cabinets.

The safe ain’t going no where, it was lowered into the basement by a backhoe before the House was on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, chas0218 said:

Other factors will play into the equation as to where you hit the stud and what not. Also it would be better mounted to the wall you could get more leverage on the top and sides. Most people don't mount their safe so the door opens into the room but into a wall.

Another option is on an exterior wall your better off just cutting through the wall with a chainsaw and drop the safe into the back of a truck and screw with it somewhere else. There are tons of what ifs.

Everyone better look into their homeowners if you think your insurance company is going to cover all your guns. Unless you asked for them to cover a specific amount they won't cover much. Our old plan covered $1000 worth of guns. That would replace 2 guns not including glass or anything else.

I increased that part of the insurance to cover what I had previously. I have to update it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, philoshop said:

Gun vault of the late Charlton Heston. It's roughly the size of my house. The guy didn't screw around.

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.eb1ec688a63c0522cc09ddb0c9626f95.jpg

"You don't need a flame thrower to kill a deer." A Cuomo

Wonder if he kept one of those "Planet of the Apes" rifles?

• Like 1

I will say this my uncle bought a house that had a large gun safe bolted to the floor. The kind that has the electric key pad. The previous owner after a year called and said there were guns in the safe and he wanted them and the safe back. Now my uncle had called him many times before to come get his stuff and he did not. So my uncle said no. We hired a locksmith to come open the safe. So the scary part is he opened that safe with a coat hanger in under 5 min.. they are all
Easy to break into if you know what your doing

59 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

I will say this my uncle bought a house that had a large gun safe bolted to the floor. The kind that has the electric key pad. The previous owner after a year called and said there were guns in the safe and he wanted them and the safe back. Now my uncle had called him many times before to come get his stuff and he did not. So my uncle said no. We hired a locksmith to come open the safe. So the scary part is he opened that safe with a coat hanger in under 5 min.. they are all
Easy to break into if you know what your doing

Well what kind of guns were in there or anything good?

• Like 2