Gun cabinets

I have Been using a 12 gun Sentinel cabinet to store my guns for years. It’s been ok, but has been getting close to being overloaded for a while, but I was Able to fit everything in it. Recently my father had health issues and asked me to take all of his guns. Now, my cabinet is packed to the gills and I am Worried about scratching them up, plus it’s a real pain to get any of them out, so it’s time to upgrade. Currently, I’m at 21 long guns and then a couple of handguns. Many of my rifles and a couple of shotguns have optics. 

I have seen many many articles about how fire proof safes don’t really provide proper heat and fire protection in a fire, and how many of them are not that tough to break into. So I’m not fooling myself into thinking that a safe is going to completely protect them, and will be upgrading my existing firearms rider on my homeowners policy, as having the ability to replace them is the only true protection. 

So here’s what I’m looking for, capacity (I plan On my collection continuing to grow), decent security (keep little hands out and prying eyes off, plus the inability to be easily moved), and a system that will hold the guns properly (stand offs to accommodate optics with some being large, different length long guns, padding to avoid scratches yet not trap moisture against metal parts). 

What do you guys recommend?

I realize the fire ratting on most safes is misleading, but I'd rather have one then a non fire safe. Some protection is better then none. On a house fire that might be contained to one area of the house, the fire safe just might save my firearms if its not directly in the area of the fire but close enough where the heat could be a factor. 

I've got a cannon 64 gun safe. The only way I'm getting 64 long guns in there is if there cricket .22's.  I've also have a Sentry non fire safe that I use as a ammo locker. Keep a box or two of important ammo in with the firearms. 

Edited by mowin

2 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I've wanted a good fire safe for awhile ,I refuse to spend the money on a large one and keep it in the basement . Not to mention reinforce the basement stairs to get a safe down there.

I don't blame you.  Mines in the living room. Neighbor has his in the basement. What a pain it was getting it down there.  Told him if he sells the house, it's staying.  Lol

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I've wanted a good fire safe for awhile ,I refuse to spend the money on a large one and keep it in the basement . Not to mention reinforce the basement stairs to get a safe down there.

I have Access to the basement from the outside and the floor is concrete so no issues moving it in

46 minutes ago, mowin said:

I realize the fire ratting on most safes is misleading, but I'd rather have one then a non fire safe. Some protection is better then none. On a house fire that might be contained to one area of the house, the fire safe just might save my firearms if its not directly in the area of the fire but close enough where the heat could be a factor. 

I've got a cannon 64 gun safe. The only way I'm getting 64 long guns in there is if there cricket .22's.  I've also have a Sentry non fire safe that I use as a ammo locker. Keep a box or two of important ammo in with the firearms. 

How’s the Cannon with adjustable height and depth standoffs?

21 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

How’s the Cannon with adjustable height and depth standoffs?

Mine has a couple cutouts for the longer guns.  My trap gun has a 30" tube on it.  PITA getting it out, but it fits. 

I wouldn't be surprised if lots of guys would rather not talk about this "on the air" here.  The above recommendation for a Liberty or Canon safe is a good one.  Insurance with a firearms rider is also a MUST.  BOLT BOLT BOLT it down, that can really slow them down from what I've read too.

It'd be cool as a cucumber if we could get a smoking deal on a "forum" wide group buy on a high end safe.  I'd travel to a western NY drop location for a great deal.

Somebody get on that will ya..................... :)

I’m not asking anyone to put a count or list on here, just looking for opinions on a safe with good features that isn’t gonna break the bank. Insurance is a given, as that is what I’m counting on to really protect my guns. I do Have some sentimental attachment to some of them but the world won’t end if they are lost. They are just objects that can be replaced if need be. 

basement is always a good choice if moisture is not an issue. generally speaking most of your fire load is above the basement so you will have lower fire temps in the basement if the fire starts on the upper levels of the house.

my biggest issue with the safes is their holding capacity advertisements, I have yet to see any of them that would hold what they claim without double or triple stacking the guns.

without going into details I will just say that at some point I will be constructing a vault of my own in an undisclosed location.  lol

After looking at some of the safes suggested, with the capacity Im figuring Ill need (not advertised capacity), the prices are nuts. I got to thinking about alternatives and I have a crap load of unused space in my basement that has a cement ceiling. Im thinking cinder block walls and a steel vault door along with some lights, pegboard walls and a dehumidifier just to be safe ought to do it. I can get a vault door for half the price of the safe I would need, or less. With the cement ceiling and floor, it would be far more fireproof than any safe, I can customize everything to each specific gun, and good luck getting in.

Until then I think Ill just get another small cabinet like I have now. They are cheap and I can use them for ammo storage after I build the vault.

• Like 2

If I had to do it again I’d go Sturdy, you never heard of them because they don’t advertise, as they have no need to. They’re a real safe not a “residential security cabinet”  , 

https://www.sturdysafe.com/

Now for fire resistance, look for a UL label and there are many levels of those as well.

I worked nine years at Sentry Safe , back when there gun safes were much better made, but the cheap Competition caused them to get into a race to the bottom .

UL labels mean something , the only reason others use the own “ rating “ is because they can’t pass UL’s.

I have a friend with a 16x16 room underground , 2 foot poured and reinforced concert walls, steel roof and a vault door .rows and rows of AK,AR, uzi, Thomson , 50 cal .

If you can’t swing that I’d go Sturdy, so far above the others mentioned .

this interesting.

https://www.secureitgunstorage.com/gun-safe-fire-rating/

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I have Been using a 12 gun Sentinel cabinet to store my guns for years. It’s been ok, but has been getting close to being overloaded for a while, but I was Able to fit everything in it. Recently my father had health issues and asked me to take all of his guns. Now, my cabinet is packed to the gills and I am Worried about scratching them up, plus it’s a real pain to get any of them out, so it’s time to upgrade. Currently, I’m at 21 long guns and then a couple of handguns. Many of my rifles and a couple of shotguns have optics. 

I have seen many many articles about how fire proof safes don’t really provide proper heat and fire protection in a fire, and how many of them are not that tough to break into. So I’m not fooling myself into thinking that a safe is going to completely protect them, and will be upgrading my existing firearms rider on my homeowners policy, as having the ability to replace them is the only true protection. 

So here’s what I’m looking for, capacity (I plan On my collection continuing to grow), decent security (keep little hands out and prying eyes off, plus the inability to be easily moved), and a system that will hold the guns properly (stand offs to accommodate optics with some being large, different length long guns, padding to avoid scratches yet not trap moisture against metal parts). 

Do you want the best? Here it is, my buddy has one and nothing holds a candle to it. The heaviest duty and best gun safe you can own and that is not an opinion look at their tests. I have a Sentry and it doesn't hold a candle to his. If you are serious for keeping your guns safe Sturdy is the answer. I will be buying one at some point If I can find a place to put it.

Edited by chas0218

9 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

If I had to do it again I’d go Sturdy, you never heard of them because they don’t advertise, as they have no need to. They’re a real safe not a “residential security cabinet”  , 

Now for fire resistance, look for a UL label and there are many levels of those as well.

I worked nine years at Sentry Safe , back when there gun safes were much better made, but the cheap Competition caused them to get into a race to the bottom .

UL labels mean something , the only reason others use the own “ rating “ is because they can’t pass UL’s.

I have a friend with a 16x16 room underground , 2 foot poured and reinforced concert walls, steel roof and a vault door .rows and rows of AK,AR, uzi, Thomson , 50 cal .

If you can’t swing that I’d go Sturdy, so far above the others mentioned .

I wouldnt mind being locked in a safe with their model

• Like 3

18 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

If you have the space the best way to do it is have a hidden compartment built/ closet room  xcetera big enough for them all  .

What they can't find they can't Steal . Take a look on the internet for plans and ideas i am sure there plenty out there . .

2 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

After looking at some of the safes suggested, with the capacity Im figuring Ill need (not advertised capacity), the prices are nuts. I got to thinking about alternatives and I have a crap load of unused space in my basement that has a cement ceiling. Im thinking cinder block walls and a steel vault door along with some lights, pegboard walls and a dehumidifier just to be safe ought to do it. I can get a vault door for half the price of the safe I would need, or less. With the cement ceiling and floor, it would be far more fireproof than any safe, I can customize everything to each specific gun, and good luck getting in.

Until then I think Ill just get another small cabinet like I have now. They are cheap and I can use them for ammo storage after I build the vault.

Fill the hollows in the block with cement.  Serves two purposes. Gun safe and fallout shelter.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

18 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

Do you want the best? Here it is, my buddy has one and nothing holds a candle to it. The heaviest duty and best gun safe you can own and that is not an opinion look at their tests. I have a Sentry and it doesn't hold a candle to his. If you are serious for keeping your guns safe Sturdy is the answer. I will be buying one at some point If I can find a place to put it.

Sturdy’s are very good ,which is why I recommend them, they don’t compare to Sentry bcause they are complete diffent products . 

If you want the best that would be Graffunder . Very limited availability as they only build a few a week , and you could easily spend 10k depending on what you want .

http://www.graffundersafes.com/

• Like 1