Anyone watch " Wicked Tuna " ?

Water Rat

I just watch the first couple of episodes of the 2018 season. I enjoy it but wish they would go more into detail and explain what equipment they use and why (ie : reels , poles , line). When they hook up the baitfish , the hook doesn't look much larger than what I use on the reservoir for lakers and browns. They certainly have a cast of characters. lol

Thanks chefhunter86.....good to know. Is it true that if you pay for a tuna fishing trip and manage to land a huge tuna , that it belongs to the Captain of the boat ? I vaguely remember hearing something to that effect. I guess something like that has to be agreed upon beforehand.

Thanks chefhunter86.....good to know. Is it true that if you pay for a tuna fishing trip and manage to land a huge tuna , that it belongs to the Captain of the boat ? I vaguely remember hearing something to that effect. I guess something like that has to be agreed upon beforehand.
I gave up fishing for giant tuna when diesel went through the roof and the regulations got too confusing. I'll see a few still pulled in out in Montauk each summer.

Fed's regulate tuna catch now and I believe the rules change each season and during the season as they update landings. Recreational and charters, I believe, usually get 1 or 2 slot catch per day between 47 and 73 inches, and one 73 plus per year, or something like that. If you are on a charter and are lucky enough to get that one giant for the boat for the year the captain most likely will take it. If the captain is operating under a commercial license (like the guys on the show), he may be able to keep more than just one per year. As you said, good to have the conversation before plunking on the charter. Regardless, a 73+ inch fish is a lot of tuna to take home. I think it would be illegal for you to sell it as well.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Water Rat said:

I just watch the first couple of episodes of the 2018 season. I enjoy it but wish they would go more into detail and explain what equipment they use and why (ie : reels , poles , line). When they hook up the baitfish , the hook doesn't look much larger than what I use on the reservoir for lakers and browns. They certainly have a cast of characters. lol

I would love to hear the details also...When I was  fishing for halibut in Alaska we were using 12/0 to 16/0 circle hooks for fish ( mostly 30 to 100 lb.) that had smaller mouths than those bluefins...

47 minutes ago, Water Rat said:

I just looked into booking a salt water charter out of Providence, and as the regs go on Big Eye tuna and all that, the guy I am fishing with has the client getting 30% of the sale price. Other tuna you keep as the fisherman under the appropriate regs and such, just like tarheel says.

I'm not a fan so of tuna raw,cooked,or canned; so we're targeting other species.

Never done much salt, so anxious to try it out.

• Like 2

I just looked into booking a salt water charter out of Providence, and as the regs go on Big Eye tuna and all that, the guy I am fishing with has the client getting 30% of the sale price. Other tuna you keep as the fisherman under the appropriate regs and such, just like tarheel says.
I'm not a fan so of tuna raw,cooked,or canned; so we're targeting other species.
Never done much salt, so anxious to try it out.
Good luck and tight lines.

• Like 1

I gave up fishing for giant tuna when diesel went through the roof and the regulations got too confusing. I'll see a few still pulled in out in Montauk each summer.

Fed's regulate tuna catch now and I believe the rules change each season and during the season as they update landings. Recreational and charters, I believe, usually get 1 or 2 slot catch per day between 47 and 73 inches, and one 73 plus per year, or something like that. If you are on a charter and are lucky enough to get that one giant for the boat for the year the captain most likely will take it. If the captain is operating under a commercial license (like the guys on the show), he may be able to keep more than just one per year. As you said, good to have the conversation before plunking on the charter. Regardless, a 73+ inch fish is a lot of tuna to take home. I think it would be illegal for you to sell it as well.

Yea it for sure needs to be discussed who is keeping a fish before you pay for the trip. I would never pay to go out to have a captain keep my fish. If im paying for the trip it’s my fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, sodfather said:

I seen the show once but that accent was like finger nails on a chalk board.

Try listening to the New York City accent that I am sure many of our posters  speak...

Example ....It was Friday and  a bunch of us were in our compartment changing into our civvies getting ready for Liberty..

One fellow, a black radioman said " I'm goin' out and find me a HO ! "

Another radioman, whos was from Long Island said...."  A HOE is what you use in the GAH-den"

He looked at me and said  " He meant a hoo-ah"  and laughed.....Hehehe..

8 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Try listening to the New York City accent that I am sure many of our posters  speak...

Example ....It was Friday and  a bunch of us were in our compartment changing into our civvies getting ready for Liberty..

One fellow, a black radioman said " I'm goin' out and find me a HO ! "

Another radioman, whos was from Long Island said...."  A HOE is what you use in the GAH-den"

He looked at me and said  " He meant a hoo-ah"  and laughed.....Hehehe..

I don’t mind any other accents it’s just the Mass one that is brutal 

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Thread title and no Pygmy joke ? 

A man and his girlfriend had issues...

He told her that he was turned off because she smelled bad "down there"..

So the girl went to a gynecologist and he told her...It is basically a matter of hygiene..Keep clean and there are feminine  deodorants you can buy with different aromas, such as strawberry, raspberry, vanilla or whatever that will make you smell better...

The girl went back to her boyfriend and told him that she had bought a fragrance  to help with her problem...

Her boyfriend was all excited and asked her what fragrance she had bought..

She replied...." Tuna fish.."..........