Tahoe/ Yukon Owners.. ??

LET EM GROW

Hey all, In the next few months I will be in the Market to purchase my wife a new vehicle. We need bigger than our Current Dodge Journey, even with its small 3rd row seating is just a PITA to get in and out of with car seats. I want them safe as possible and am really looking to get her into a good Used Tahoe or Yukon,  with low mileage 2010-2012 ish models.. It will be used for trips to S.C. to visit relatives and vacations occasionally.. Also to tow an 18' boat, and utility trailer occasionally throughout the year. I am just looking to see what everyone thinks about them, that has owned one before. I hear a lot of good stuff about them, besides the price being a little high usually. And that they are solid vehicles even as they approach 200k if maintained properly.. We will be keeping this vehicle for as long as possible and probably only be putting 12-15k miles per year on it.. I like the bucket seats in the 2nd row, for ease of access to 3rd row.. especially with childens car seats.. 

Thanks in advance. 

Bryan

We rented one a few years back for our first trip to S.C. and loved it. But that was only for a week, and it was basically new. I could not justify the price tag of a new one either. That is insane. She was thinking Town and Country Mini Van, and I was ok with that.. but The big SUV is More safe, Nicer from what I've read, also asked a mechanic buddy, he stated that they are less to maintain when it comes to front end work and such.. Fuel mileage wouldn't be much different either.. 

I dont know if my wife could handle an XL or Suburban. Or else i would in a heart beat. I am afraid for the vehicle and others within any parking Lot. lol. Having that extra couple feet in length worries me with her driving record. Shes to blame for all but 1 dent on my truck, and all the dents on her vehicle lol. So everyone beware! haha

• Haha 1

Been driving Tahoes since 04 and love em.  THe first one was an 01 bought used in WNY 60k miles.  I had to do wheel bearings and front calipers around 160k   Other than that, just regular maintenance.  Traded it in with 230k (fuel and brake lines were rotting out).  Traded it in in 09 for a 07 tahoe.... while I was in the OBX.  No rust.  Even today after several wny winters.... not one speck of rust.  Did calipers in the front and replaced the throttle body (one of the TPS failed. there's two cause it is drive by wire).

Truck still looks new and runs great with 238k on it.  Regular maintenance and use the correct AC Delco oil filters on them and your good to go.

I likked them so much I bought a 14 silverado basically the same drive train but has the 6 speed automatic trans and the 5.3 engine is a new design starting in 14.  

• Like 1

I have a 2006 Tahoe. It had the "0" motor in it which was the better of the two that Chevy installs. At 197,00 miles the cam shaft went bad. I loved the vehicle so I had a new motor put in. Two things I don't like about it. Doors have no drip edge so water will drip onto the control panel for windows and doors. This caused a short and I had to replace the panel. Spare tire under the truck is a pain in the butt to get off. Other than that I still have it at 215,000 miles and hope to get another 100,000 out of her. Good luck. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LET EM GROW said:

I dont know if my wife could handle an XL or Suburban. Or else i would in a heart beat. I am afraid for the vehicle and others within any parking Lot. lol. Having that extra couple feet in length worries me with her driving record. Shes to blame for all but 1 dent on my truck, and all the dents on her vehicle lol. So everyone beware! haha

i was in the same boat just stepping the wife up from her hatchback in college. we went to a rav4 then explorer. Each gets a little bigger and she does fine. The newer models all have backup cameras and sensors now too so it's not as challenging as in the past. 

again for me, you're not taking a big step up in size with a tahoe. It's at truck platform so it will certainly handle differently, i just subscribe to going for it if you're going to spend the money. 

My goal is to get the fbi suburban. my wife would be one bad B driving the kids around in the that!

2017-Chevrolet-Tahoe-LT-Midnight-Edition

• Like 2

Arcade Hunter, That is what i was hoping to hear. I believe in 2009 they added the 6spd tranny? The ones i am looking at all have 6spd transmissions. We also go to the OBX every year as well, Are the prices any different down there? Was hoping to get one before the trip in August but if the prices are much better i can wait lol

I figured if i bought one certified or with a good car fax report around 50k-70k It would have around 150-170kmi in 5 or 6 years when w emay trde up..  but still be strong from what I'm hearing on yours and others reviews.  It seems they are barely broken in by 50k miles..

1 hour ago, First-light said:

I have a 2006 Tahoe. It had the "0" motor in it which was the better of the two that Chevy installs. At 197,00 miles the cam shaft went bad. I loved the vehicle so I had a new motor put in. Two things I don't like about it. Doors have no drip edge so water will drip onto the control panel for windows and doors. This caused a short and I had to replace the panel. Spare tire under the truck is a pain in the butt to get off. Other than that I still have it at 215,000 miles and hope to get another 100,000 out of her. Good luck. 

I was looking at them, but i can see my wife complaining about its looks already. But the drive trains arent too much different between the two models. i think? Seems like you get what you pay for with these vehicles with proper maitenence 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Belo said:

i was in the same boat just stepping the wife up from her hatchback in college. we went to a rav4 then explorer. Each gets a little bigger and she does fine. The newer models all have backup cameras and sensors now too so it's not as challenging as in the past. 

again for me, you're not taking a big step up in size with a tahoe. It's at truck platform so it will certainly handle differently, i just subscribe to going for it if you're going to spend the money. 

My goal is to get the fbi suburban. my wife would be one bad B driving the kids around in the that!

2017-Chevrolet-Tahoe-LT-Midnight-Edition

You aint kidding! I thought the same about my wife, just driving the 10-12 model around! lol. I see a couple 2015 models that might make the price range but I've read enough reviews on them to stay away.. But that is one sweet ride! I've never been a chevy fan.. Except for the square bodies and these tahoe/suburbans!

Her journey is quite small compared to these, as long as she just slowed down and thought a little more.. she would be fine.. but you know some women lol!!

Edited by LET EM GROW
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, left field said:

i have a coworker who wont shut up about his LC. They're basically tanks. But i hear they're not cheap and hard as heck to find.

33 minutes ago, left field said:

Yea I cant do that. Not a Toyota fan at all. lol Cant afford one anyways, and all of my "more well off" side of the family drive Toyota.. 

Wish Chrysler made a full sized SUV with the Hemi!

28 minutes ago, BigVal said:

The GF mom drives one, it's sweet. I think it's a 16? 

I like vehicles from the 90s though. And girls from the 90s. 

Agreed! But she has my ring and my kids.. lol She must stay Happy or else haha

But theres just something about a woman and a v8.. SUV, Truck or car.. I dont care! lol  

• Like 1

We have an escalade (same as the Tahoe/Yukon) pushing 150k.  No real problems to speak of.  The occasional sensor goes bad and needs to be replaced but I suspect that's true when you have lots of electronics.  Drivetrain has been great.  Paying for tires for 22" rims stinks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

We have an escalade (same as the Tahoe/Yukon) pushing 150k.  No real problems to speak of.  The occasional sensor goes bad and needs to be replaced but I suspect that's true when you have lots of electronics.  Drivetrain has been great.  Paying for tires for 22" rims stinks.

Yeah, but how's the carpet???

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

I’ve found that folks driving “ to much rig “ tend to hit other cars when they pull  out of parking spaces .

When I go,to the gym there’s a fair number of  stay at home Moms driving big suvs , I avoid parking near them ( although I’ll workout behind them ...) as well as parking on the end of a row , mostly for that reason .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

Arcade Hunter, That is what i was hoping to hear. I believe in 2009 they added the 6spd tranny? The ones i am looking at all have 6spd transmissions. We also go to the OBX every year as well, Are the prices any different down there? Was hoping to get one before the trip in August but if the prices are much better i can wait lol

I figured if i bought one certified or with a good car fax report around 50k-70k It would have around 150-170kmi in 5 or 6 years when w emay trde up..  but still be strong from what I'm hearing on yours and others reviews.  It seems they are barely broken in by 50k miles..

I like the six-speed tranny... takes a little bit to get used to though... a bit more gas pedal movement.  When I get in the Tahoe, I almost do a burn out cause I'm used to putting the boot to the Silverado.

I bought it at Kittyhawk Chevy Buick... on the right one block after you get off the causeway.  I dont think it was much cheaper than buying it here, most likely same price... but this truck came from Georgia, then to Wanchese on the OBX and never saw a winter.  Buy one up here and it has seen winters  and rust damage has started.  Buy one while on vacation if you can... They will register it for you too.  Pick up your NY plates at DMV when you get back home.

• Like 1

My wife adjusted to a big vehicle quickly (coming from a GTI) and now she won't go back.  The only car she hit was Nomad's at the gym and that was intentional.  Your real risk is that you are now locking in the need for more expensive big vehicles in the future.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

Yea I cant do that. Not a Toyota fan at all. lol Cant afford one anyways, and all of my "more well off" side of the family drive Toyota.

I'm not going to get in the middle of family feuds. But if you want to one-up them consider an EarthCruiser.

Here's one for 265,000.00  http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/190839-2015-EarthCruiser-EXP-21-200-miles-265-000-00

image.png.7be191317aad30af73afbb71a50ab821.png

2 hours ago, Belo said:

i have a coworker who wont shut up about his LC. They're basically tanks. But i hear they're not cheap and hard as heck to find.

They do have a rabid following. I think the last year of FJ Cruisers (2014) are going for more money than list. There's a reason that the only vehicles you see in the harsher terrain of Africa, Asia or Australia with 300K+ miles are Toyotas. 

• Like 2