Reccomend ed species for charter.

TurtleFace

Depending on the day, you could call me cheap, frugal, or just plain without much disposal income. So keep in mind I won't be traveling to Florida to arm wrestle a swordfish.

What species would you reccomend I choose, when Im deciding on a charter to take me out on my first salt water experience to net me the greatest poundage to bring home in my cooler?

I was poking around for something similar, except not worried about filling a cooler myself.

Inexpensive means a party boat out of Jersey. They park on top off structure and fish. Seem to do pretty good on catching in general. I'm not that sociable frankly so I elected for a private charter which costs more, but I get a captain,mate and a 32' boat at my disposal for the day and its cheaper than many of the hunts I've done so its cost is relative.

Maybe you can hook up with someone going out of Long Island? That seems popular with folks from up here in the Hudson Valley.

• Like 1

hey right up my alley ,well in this day and age of archaic and confusing regulations the best i would recommend is a few 1} porgies you get 45 on a party boat or charter  in montauk or orient pt.[ which i recommend]BUT @ the right time AND each state has their own rules which is even more confusing. You can go to north carolina morehead city ,the boat i go on is the carolina princess and they have a 24 hr trips that i go on and you get double the regs cause you are fishing 2 days. if you want yuo can go for cod and pollack and haddock in new england i have a few boats i can recommend. P/m me and i will tell you which boats and best times to go. 

• Like 2

I apologize. I read this too quick and thought U were going to Florida, just not for swordfish. That being said, Hudson River, Long Island, Westchester, NJ have lots of saltwater options for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you chose Long Island you'll have lots of choices. I recommend reading the online reports like "Nor'east Saltwater" and "The Fishing Line" just to get an idea of what's currently hot.

I've been fishing saltwater on LI for years, but don't go out on the party boats, or charters, but if you hit it right you can score pretty good on either one. There are boats to chose from from western Long Island out to Montauk and on both shores. So you don't have to drive too far out on L.I. to get a boat. One party boat that I know of goes out for various bottom fish on his trips so he gets a variety of species.

I would personally choose bluefish because they fight like hell and if you pick the right time of year you can get some nice fish. However, I like to eat blues, but most people that I know absolutely hate them, so I can't recommend them for most people. I caught my first blue over 60 years ago and have been a bluefish addict ever since.

As written above , when the porgy bite is on, you can slam them and fill buckets.

Fluke, can be a crap shoot, so I personally wouldn't choose fluke for my first outing.

Striped bass taste great(my opinion), but the limit is one, or two.  It was 2 on charter/party boats, but not sure if it went back to 1(I don't keep up with their rules since I fish on my own and my limit is one).. Size limit is 28 inches for stripers.

There are a # of other species in local waters,.  You can even  charter a boat and go offshore for some game fish, but I'm not sure how costly the offshore boats are.

• Like 2

I've been out of Boston a few times and we have 2 days booked for this summer also. We fished for cod, Pollock and haddock with shark fishing if we choose to do so (which we did). We brought home a good portion of fish, we didn't keep any of the sharks but we could have. It's a private charter and it's a full day, we left as the sun Rose and got back at sunset. 5 of us went, it was $1500 (plus tip) for the day for everyone. It could've also been considered a whale watch as they could be seen almost anytime breaching. We've also done party boat charters out of NJ, SC and Florida, they're way cheaper but typically the fish aren't as big and you don't get the one on one attention. Also, don't forget about Lake Ontario! Browns, Lakers and salmon will net you some fillets and they're good fighters.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

If you chose Long Island you'll have lots of choices. I recommend reading the online reports like "Nor'east Saltwater" and "The Fishing Line" just to get an idea of what's currently hot.
I've been fishing saltwater on LI for years, but don't go out on the party boats, or charters, but if you hit it right you can score pretty good on either one. There are boats to chose from from western Long Island out to Montauk and on both shores. So you don't have to drive too far out on L.I. to get a boat. One party boat that I know of goes out for various bottom fish on his trips so he gets a variety of species.
I would personally choose bluefish because they fight like hell and if you pick the right time of year you can get some nice fish. However, I like to eat blues, but most people that I know absolutely hate them, so I can't recommend them for most people. I caught my first blue over 60 years ago and have been a bluefish addict ever since.
As written above , when the porgy bite is on, you can slam them and fill buckets.
Fluke, can be a crap shoot, so I personally wouldn't choose fluke for my first outing.
Striped bass taste great(my opinion), but the limit is one, or two.  It was 2 on charter/party boats, but not sure if it went back to 1(I don't keep up with their rules since I fish on my own and my limit is one).. Size limit is 28 inches for stripers.
There are a # of other species in local waters,.  You can even  charter a boat and go offshore for some game fish, but I'm not sure how costly the offshore boats are.

Ditto to what graybeard wrote. If you can make Montauk it's worth it. Fluking in Montauk has been spotty the last few Summers and regs are a mess. If you are looking to fill a cooler, target a party boat that goes for Black Sea bass and porgy. Fun action for a day or half day trip. Eeling for striped bass at night is killer on the right tide and moon. You are limited to one 28+ per day on stripers. You will pick up some bluefish as by catch as well. If you can make the trip all the way out to montauk, the Viking party boats sometimes run discounts if you book a day trip for sea bass porgy and a night bass trip. Winter fishing gets you Pollack, cod and blackfish. All cooler filling species.

If you want to pay for a charter, they will often offer an inshore combo trip for all of the above. Catch your limit on one and move on to another species. Costs more but you control the day. I can give you recommendations on charters if you are interested.

If you are comfortable going offshore, options expand from there. Shark, tuna, mahi, etc.

Message me with any questions. Happy to help.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Fresh/Brackish water & Peacock Bass, Snook, etc.

c381f4e14e59d706f0e34616f46bcdf4.jpg

I try not to derail/crap on a thread too often but it's been a couple days.  WTH are you fishing out of, a Corvette convertible?

• Like 3

I try not to derail/crap on a thread too often but it's been a couple days.  WTH are you fishing out of, a Corvette convertible?

A bass boat i guess. Fished the canals near Miami airport many years ago. Some spots were very narrow.

10 hours ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

I wanna get together with a bunch of guys that wanna go deep sea fishing for cod, haddock, Pollock, and what ever else any one game? We select where we want to fish and how long and the time of year and go from there.

We go and do this almost every year, and it's a blast.  The one thing that is hurting these trips is cod season is closed for recreational fishing and that has hurt most of the fishing charters.

On 3/20/2018 at 8:05 PM, greybeard said:

hey grey beard yes i agree with blues being a good choice for action but to eat them is another story i smoke them but only take a few for that. Nowadays with crazy regs we  have to be a little creative to take something home [ the charter and party boats too just to stay in business] what the best thing to do is take a split charter or on a party boat they fish for two species say fluke in the morning then switch to stripers or visa versa they do it with blackfish too which are great eating, He could also go for sea bass to which is the best eating fish on the planet. 

If you're looking for poundage, head to Montauk in the summer and go fishing for blues, stripers and sea bass. 

Slim chance, but if you are in the right place at the right time, you might hit a tuna/tilefish trip out to the canyons (NY/NJ/OCMD) and come home with coolers full of fish, but those days are rare, and getting skunked is more often the norm. Hatteras/Oregon Inlet in NC used to be hot for tuna, but even that is only mediocre these days, coincidentally the sushi/sashimi craze at restaurants happened at the same time most tuna fishing got crappy.

I know the OP asked about salt water, but Walleye fishing on Lake Erie looks to be red hot for the next few years. A couple very good hatches in a row a few years ago, and those fish will just keep getting bigger. Last year we had to pick through shorts to get enough keepers, and we were still limited out by 11 AM. Charters are fairly inexpensive. 

Edited by Uncle Nicky

On 3/20/2018 at 10:14 PM, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

I wanna get together with a bunch of guys that wanna go deep sea fishing for cod, haddock, Pollock, and what ever else any one game? We select where we want to fish and how long and the time of year and go from there.

Actually, I'd be interested, and I might be able to get another guy or two together if needed. I always wanted to go up to Massachusetts. for a cod trip, but as I was researching a few months ago, it looks as if the rules have changed, and you can only keep haddock up there, so I "missed the boat" on that dream trip. I fished with this captain before, he's very good, and he runs trips out of Montauk; NY cod limits are pretty liberal compared to the Mass limits.http://www.charterboatwindy.com/fishing-info.html

TommyC... Yeah...Most people, who  I know, don't like them either. In fact many times you can't give them away. I'm not sure why I like them so much, but I just do. I prefer them in the spring when they first come in through the inlets, but I eat them all season. I only keep one, or two per week  and only when I can eat them in a day, or so. They do keep o.k. for awhile, but , in my opinion, not too long. I bleed them immediately and keep them cool.When I fish from shore  I keep a cooler in my car and fillet and get them on ice quickly(In my kayak I go to shore, fillet them and put them on ice .) When I fillet them and bass I always remove the red meat in the middle.

I am absolutely fanatical about catching them and from the time that they come in until they migrate out I usually fish for them on most weekdays, so I release most. I prefer the smaller blues which would be up to 4lbs., or so, but when I do eat the bigger ones when the mood strikes.

You're right about eating blackfish and sea bass. Sea bass are tops.

I  trap and eat spearing and have even eaten sand eels and like them too so I guess I'm not a good example of what to eat.(My father used to make and  eat bluefish soup, so I guess it's genetic).

I'm looking outside at the snow today and can't believe that the blues "Should" start arriving through the south shore inlets in slightly over 1 month from now