Reccomend ed species for charter.

TurtleFace

No love for some lake ontario silver? I fish lake ontario all summer and nothing beats the sound of the drag rippin from a 20lbs. king salmon. They fight and take some killer runs, god forbid you hook up with one on a dipsy diver out 400' just grab and hang on your arms will be ready to fall off with any fish over 15lbs. in most instances. Just thinking about it gets my blood pumping. For a full day charter you are looking at around $700 for 4 people 8hr. charter. Just something to think about if you get a few family members together that is less than $200/person. I can make some recommendations about charters that I have fished side by side in a couple tournaments and always do well. If I were doing a saltwater charter it would be a private charter and I would be driving as far south as I could to get into great fishing waters not to mention it would be something around $2k for something decent.

13 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

No love for some lake ontario silver? I fish lake ontario all summer and nothing beats the sound of the drag rippin from a 20lbs. king salmon. They fight and take some killer runs, god forbid you hook up with one on a dipsy diver out 400' just grab and hang on your arms will be ready to fall off with any fish over 15lbs. in most instances. Just thinking about it gets my blood pumping. For a full day charter you are looking at around $700 for 4 people 8hr. charter. Just something to think about if you get a few family members together that is less than $200/person. I can make some recommendations about charters that I have fished side by side in a couple tournaments and always do well. If I were doing a saltwater charter it would be a private charter and I would be driving as far south as I could to get into great fishing waters not to mention it would be something around $2k for something decent.

I've been on 4 salmon trips to Lake Ontario so far, with 4 different captains. Twice we got, "Salmon not really biting now, let's fish for lakers". Once was a boat ride. And the other day was so-so (caught 1 decent fish, the rest were undersized or just barely legal). Not saying it's not a good fishery, just doesn't seem very consistent. Just my experience, anyway.

Hey Turtleface,

I have a good friend who runs Striped bass charters out of Rockaway.   The guy absolutely crushes it and is always on the meat.  The trips are extremely reasonable if you get a buddy or two.   The season is right around the corner.   I went out with them last April on a crew trip and we limited out before 7:00am.   Played catch and release for a few hours and i was at work at 10:00am.

Forever Two Worlds  or Gypsea Charters.  Both out of the rockaways and both will put you on the meat.

If thats not your thing, then bottom fishing is the way to go.   Spring blackfish is re- opening up this year and i'm sure you'll have some great opportunities to bring back some meat.    If you want to wait a bit, the seabass / porgy fishing can fill a cooler in no time in July.  

What is your budget?  PM me and i can give you some more details.

1 hour ago, Uncle Nicky said:

I've been on 4 salmon trips to Lake Ontario so far, with 4 different captains. Twice we got, "Salmon not really biting now, let's fish for lakers". Once was a boat ride. And the other day was so-so (caught 1 decent fish, the rest were undersized or just barely legal). Not saying it's not a good fishery, just doesn't seem very consistent. Just my experience, anyway.

IT really depends on the charter, I know of a lot of charters that do that and others that will go the extra mile to get their clients on fish. You also have to fish the areas that are catching fish. If you want an early trip for salmon and browns the closer to niagra you want. If you want to go later in the season you want to be closer to the salmon river. I know of 2 charters that have always produced and didn't just run out for lakers. If you want names PM me.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

IT really depends on the charter, I know of a lot of charters that do that and others that will go the extra mile to get their clients on fish. You also have to fish the areas that are catching fish. If you want an early trip for salmon and browns the closer to niagra you want. If you want to go later in the season you want to be closer to the salmon river. I know of 2 charters that have always produced and didn't just run out for lakers. If you want names PM me.

Thanks for the offer, I may just take you up on it. 

9 hours ago, Uncle Nicky said:

Actually, I'd be interested, and I might be able to get another guy or two together if needed. I always wanted to go up to Massachusetts. for a cod trip, but as I was researching a few months ago, it looks as if the rules have changed, and you can only keep haddock up there, so I "missed the boat" on that dream trip. I fished with this captain before, he's very good, and he runs trips out of Montauk; NY cod limits are pretty liberal compared to the Mass limits.http://www.charterboatwindy.com/fishing-info.html

I fished with Capt Jack Passie many times, and even hunted goose with him as well. He knows how to put fish in the boat, and will make sure that you go home with a full cooler. 

I would absolutly be down for Lake Ontario too. One guy I was talking to at the outdoor expo a few weeks back really got me excited to check it all out. As for eating blues, I'm all for it. My brother gave me a few fillets from his trip and thought it was great, and really saw/tasted what people meant by the nasty blood line. 

I'm pretty much dying to get out there as soon as I won't have to worry about being super chilly while being on a boat I paid to be on. If somones throwing together an outing I'd love to be kept in the loop.

I've got a few people who said to keep updated about my plans on getting out onto a boat. So I'm hoping to at least do a spring outing, and a summer outing. Just have to make it work with my job since I have a specialized retail job role.

Edited by TurtleFace
Minor additon
  • Like 1

I don't want to derail the thread but since people were talking about bluefish.... This is what I do with them, particularly the larger ones I catch. Most people don't even know they are eating bluefish when I serve it.

https://honest-food.net/bluefish-pate-recipe/

Key is smoke them fresh like the recipe says as they don't store well in freezer when uncooked. I usually substitute hummus for the cream cheese to make it a little heart healthier.

I just finished the last batch from the gorilla I caught latelast summer. ad145a1b634b8f3804ea347fce89b3bc.jpg

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

• Like 4

nice fish.. congrats...They should be coming into the south shore inlets in about a month from now. I don't fish from boats any longer. I either fish the inlets from shore, surf cast, or kayak fish.

I can't cook at all..When I cook fish, or game I cook the the same way, just time it different... Squirrels.. venison.. birds.. and fish are all the same method.(my wife is a great cook thank God)

On blues, after bleeding, removing the red line, and keeping on ice, or frozen  for up to 1 week I coat, or soak in olive/garlic oil..  then salt.. pepper.. paprika...put on bottom shelf for maybe 10 minutes.. then to top shelf(broil??) for a couple of minutes and that's it..

For those who want to  keep a bluefish and don't get it on ice, or in a cooler, especially in warm weather it'll turn to mush kinda like oatmeal.

23 minutes ago, TurtleFace said:

Hm, only time I had blye fish it was frozen for quite a while. I wonder how much more I'd like it fresh.

IF you clean them the way graybread suggested there pretty good eats.I think to many people mishandle there fish and that leads to a bad experience.

TurtleFace..I didn't mention this earlier because I forgot... This is my opinion..For big blues..If you have a thick piece of FRESH bluefish see if you can split it and make it thinner.. So if it's an inch thick make it 1/2 inch thick. Sometimes those thick pieces aren't so good..Immediately after filleting a fresh blue I slide the knife between the skin and meat to remove the skin. Sometimes on the big ones I purposely leave more meat on the skin to get rid of more of that red line and make it thinner..You lose some meat, but I THINK that it's better eating. I fillet and skin all saltwater fish that I catch. Some people like their fish whole, but I prefer fillets.

If you wait too long to fillet a blue and it's not fresh it won't slide off the skin smoothly and will be a mess. So as I wrote earlier keep it  cold..

• Like 1