Decline in hunters and paying for conservation

Dinsdale

The article states "The shift is being welcomed by some who morally oppose the sport, but it's also leading to a crisis."  Morally oppose?  These same "morally opposed" people hunt for food in the supper market and restaurants, and kill insects (members of the animal kingdom) in their houses and biting them making them hypocrites.   NPR is left leaning so they describe the "morally opposed" using nice words when these people really are "anti-hunters".

Yes, the anti-hunters are unwilling or unable to accept the truth who REALLY finances wildlife  conversation.   The article verified what I said in that "State wildlife agencies and the country's wildlife conservation system are heavily dependent on sportsmen for funding. "

27 minutes ago, Wilderness said:

The article states "The shift is being welcomed by some who morally oppose the sport, but it's also leading to a crisis."  Morally oppose?  These same "morally opposed" people hunt for food in the supper market and restaurants, and kill insects (members of the animal kingdom) in their houses and biting them making them hypocrites.   NPR is left leaning so they describe the "morally opposed" using nice words when these people really are "anti-hunters".

Yes, the anti-hunters are unwilling or unable to accept the truth who REALLY finances wildlife  conversation.   The article verified what I said in that "State wildlife agencies and the country's wildlife conservation system are heavily dependent on sportsmen for funding. "

Sound like just more far left fake news to me .

2 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Sound like just more far left fake news to me .

"State wildlife agencies and the country's wildlife conservation system are heavily dependent on sportsmen for funding. " That is not fake news.  I understand that the New York conservation fund picks up half the cost to fund DEC officers.  That definitely qualifies as "heavily dependent on sportsmen for funding. "   Many streams with fishing rights are funded by the conservation fund, for fishing only, but others use these locations for non-fishing activities.

So what "far left news" are you referring to?

• Like 2

Interesting article, but shouldn't have been a "shocker" for anyone! Definitely a political hot potato! Like some other states with the majority of legislators coming from urban areas, conservation isn't a priority.Even when funds are specifically allocated to the DEC, they can also be transfer back into the dreaded General Fund to make-up for shortfalls in other state departments/budgets. Vicious cycle!!!

• Like 1

Youngsters aren't into hunting, due to the fact their parents don't hunt. They are more into computer games, cell phones, TV etc. Then you have older guys getting out of the sport.

Without any new young hunters coming in and older guys leaving there is the issue. Another sad fact is their are many more guys getting older than youngsters coming in, and I can see how that will

pan out in the end. Very sad indeed.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, maytom said:

Youngsters aren't into hunting, due to the fact their parents don't hunt. They are more into computer games, cell phones, TV etc. Then you have older guys getting out of the sport.

Without any new young hunters coming in and older guys leaving there is the issue. Another sad fact is their are many more guys getting older than youngsters coming in, and I can see how that will

i dont think its mostly because the parents dont hunt.  My buddies each have quite a few kids and out of 10 kids only one is interested in hunting at all. I just think there are so many options out there today.  And technology is more prevalant and cool.  Kids get more looked down upon some to be hunters, kids fit in better with peers that are into technology. Parents are also more open to letign kids do what interests them than the old .... the whole family is going.  I think kids with parents that hunt def have a better chance of becoming interested in it but dont think its the major cause of any hunting number decline as much as a culture change . 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Wilderness said:

"State wildlife agencies and the country's wildlife conservation system are heavily dependent on sportsmen for funding. " That is not fake news.  I understand that the New York conservation fund picks up half the cost to fund DEC officers.  That definitely qualifies as "heavily dependent on sportsmen for funding. "   Many streams with fishing rights are funded by the conservation fund, for fishing only, but others use these locations for non-fishing activities.

So what "far left news" are you referring to?

The part about less hunting and more people hiking and nature watching I was talking about .

Who thinks  hunting a moral issue ?

Hmm hint 

Far left nut jobs that is who 

"The shift is being welcomed by some who morally oppose the sport, but it's also leading to a crisis."

Edited by Storm914

46 minutes ago, maytom said:

Kids that have parents who don't hunt will most likely not hunt, but having parents who DO hunt surely isn't a guarantee neither.  Lots of things to capture kids attentions these days that they find way more interesting than freezing their butts in the woods for hours and days waiting for a deer or turkey to come by.  I also know many adult hunters who have given it up for one reason or another in recent years.  Do you think their kids will be hunting?  I bet not!

We have a couple of our NY QDMA branches that are picking up our National program call Field to Forks. It is an initiative to recruit adults and get them into hunting for the first time.  The focus is on the growing group that wants to know where their food is coming from while trying to avoid things like hormones in the meat.  We will be recruiting, training, educating, getting them through a hunter safety course,  taking them hunting and teaching them to field dress, process and cook the venison. Hopefully we can identify individuals that are interested but don't have a clue how to take the first step. I guess if you didn't have a history with hunting it could be a pretty daunting undertaking without help.  In our branch I want to set a goal of 6 people this year. Certainly won't turn the tide but it would be nice if more folks would reach out to new folks and get them into it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Wilderness said:

ummm.... it is true that some people morally oppose hunting. That is a fact. You may believe it's hypocritical and in some cases it is, but it's still a valid point to make in the article. 

We may morally oppose illegal immigration, but fact is the cost of our fruits and vegetables may increase. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

We have a couple of our NY QDMA branches that are picking up our National program call Field to Forks. It is an initiative to recruit adults and get them into hunting for the first time.  The focus is on the growing group that wants to know where their food is coming from while trying to avoid things like hormones in the meat.  We will be recruiting, training, educating, getting them through a hunter safety course,  taking them hunting and teaching them to field dress, process and cook the venison. Hopefully we can identify individuals that are interested but don't have a clue how to take the first step. I guess if you didn't have a history with hunting it could be a pretty daunting undertaking without help.  In our branch I want to set a goal of 6 people this year. Certainly won't turn the tide but it would be nice if more folks would reach out to new folks and get them into it. 

You can add my place as a spot for you guys to take someone. Id be more than happy to host one of the hunts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I hunt alot of public land and yes I see less hunters then I saw 35 years ago but . Let me tell you there still alot and a big part are  coming from NYC and LI to hunt up here .  Just think how many more there would be if they had  hunting land closer to there homes. 

That is the thing you need good land access .

Even if a guy wants, to hunt  he may get out of the  sport just for the fact he has no good land access close to home.

Also kids are just less active these days  all a

Out door sports are down not just hunting  this is where that article you can tell was written by a lefty. 

He says, more people are out hiking and nature walking instead of hunting lol that is just not true .

The only people you see walking on trails  usally these days are people with there dogs that dont want to pick up after it so they go in the woods for that reason only  there not there hiking or nature walking .

9 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

Interesting article, but shouldn't have been a "shocker" for anyone! Definitely a political hot potato! Like some other states with the majority of legislators coming from urban areas, conservation isn't a priority.Even when funds are specifically allocated to the DEC, they can also be transfer back into the dreaded General Fund to make-up for shortfalls in other state departments/budgets. Vicious cycle!!!

i don't believe that's true at all. there are laws prohibiting it.

58 minutes ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

Do a little research where this article came from ( NPR); then you'll understand the article.

I feel like none of you read this article at all, you're reading a headline and one quote. It's a good 5 minute read. Read the whole thing. There is zero anti-hunter propaganda here. It is simply talking about the threat to conservation as hunter numbers dwindle. It actually points out that decreased license sales may lead to more drilling and endangered species.

geez guys

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Belo said:

did you even bother to read the article? It's actually shines a very good light on hunters and our impact on the wilderness.

When I read propaganda like hunting is a moral issue and more people are nature walking and bird watching I don't need to read the rest  to know what this guy is getting at . 

Every story these guys write always has this leftist moral superiority slant to it and I for one am  sick of it .

The narrative of that story is hunters are  not moral   but a necessary evil to found conversation.

Maybe you don't get it but that is what the author is saying with out saying it . If you know what I mean . 

1 minute ago, Storm914 said:

When I read propaganda like hunting is a moral issue and more people are nature walking and bird watching I don't need to read the rest  to know what this guy is getting at . 

Every story these guys write always has this leftist moral superiority slant to it and I for one am  sick of it .

The narrative of that story is hunters are  not moral   but a necessary evil to found conversation.

Maybe you don't get it but that is what the author is saying with out saying it . If you know what I mean . 

dude... your reading skills are lacking. None of that was said. He stated that some are morally opposed to hunting. This is fact. He stated that bird watching and hiking participation is on the rise. fact. Then he mentions a proposed solution whas been to tax tents, binos, camping gear etc. but that it was shot down by the retailers.

you need to read this with an open mind. take your filter off.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Belo said:

dude... your reading skills are lacking. None of that was said. He stated that some are morally opposed to hunting. This is fact. He stated that bird watching and hiking participation is on the rise. fact. Then he mentions a proposed solution whas been to tax tents, binos, camping gear etc. but that it was shot down by the retailers.

Reading is for sissy’s and liberals.  Ain’t nobody got time for that!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

He says, more people are out hiking and nature walking instead of hunting lol that is just not true .

The only people you see walking on trails  usally these days are people with there dogs that dont want to pick up after it so they go in the woods for that reason only  there not there hiking or nature walking .

You're not even close.

Look at the numbers in the High Peaks area alone and they are having serious problems with over use.

Heres just a sample or registered 46ers

http://www.adk46er.org/pdf/Roster_Statistics-as-of-3-7-2018.pdf

Through the 90's and early 2000's there were around 200 a year.......last 3 years over 500, 700, 700 for EACH year.

I'm in a bird club that had around 25-30 active members; now its easy over 100 in last couple years. Had to find a new place to meet.

On the moral deal.....

I tell you I'm going to shoot a deer and feed a family; most folks would have no issue, even those on the fence over hunting.

Say I'm going to kill an elephant and even though I fed 200 , there are plenty of even hunters who take a different moral attitude.

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Belo said:

Why does he even have to go there .

There are nuts that don't eat meat .

Who cares why bring it up .

Because you want to make the point about hunters being less of good person then the kind gentle nature watcher that is why . 

It's, like on those survival shows where they make it a  sad dramatic thing when someone kills a  animal  . 

Are you blind . 

Gee you don't think the constant moral shaming these leftys put out about hunters and hunting on tv does not have a impact on the younger generation of course it does that is part of the problem why you have less hunters .

Edited by Storm914

27 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

You're not even close.

Look at the numbers in the High Peaks area alone and they are having serious problems with over use.

Heres just a sample or registered 46ers

http://www.adk46er.org/pdf/Roster_Statistics-as-of-3-7-2018.pdf

Through the 90's and early 2000's there were around 200 a year.......last 3 years over 500, 700, 700 for EACH year.

I'm in a bird club that had around 25-30 active members; now its easy over 100 in last couple years. Had to find a new place to meet.

On the moral deal.....

I tell you I'm going to shoot a deer and feed a family; most folks would have no issue, even those on the fence over hunting.

Say I'm going to kill an elephant and even though I fed 200 , there are plenty of even hunters who take a different moral attitude.

More senior citizens are around that's why :)