Just bought a Kawasaki Prairie 360

I am excited about this.  Bought an 07 prairie 360 4x4 this afternoon.  Stupid clean, barely used, it was my dad's neighbor.  We know it was barely used, since we can see his house from my dads.  They are like brothers,  so everyone wins.  He plowed his driveway about 3x.  I plan to use it at home, and at our camp upstate.  My current 220 Bayou, ois obviously too small, but did its job.  This machine I plan to bring to northern Maine in August to explore the trails.  I have been going to Maine for about 12 yrs npw, and never had a machine decent enough for trails that get remote.  There is honestly not much point in this thread, other than to share my excitement.  

This is not me on the quad by the way.  I will bring it home one night this week.

20180320_162310.jpg

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 19

1 minute ago, Bionic said:

Thank you sir! My dad, and I plan to trail ride near camp upstate, and it will be great to add another hobby to our list we share.

We use our atv's mostly for chore work, but every once in a while it's a lot of fun to just go romp around on them. Post what you find out regarding the trails in Fulton county. My atv hasn't taken a trailer ride in a while.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Steuben Jerry said:

We use our atv's mostly for chore work, but every once in a while it's a lot of fun to just go romp around on them. Post what you find out regarding the trails in Fulton county. My atv hasn't taken a trailer ride in a while.

Will do, I know their are plenty of trails in the area, but was unsure of what other could add.  Currently googling for info.  I plan to use mine for tree work, a backup tool incase the snowblower fails on me, work at camp, and like I said, trails.  I never trail rode ever, but LOVE exploring, so this truly is the start of a new chapter in my life. Backwoods moose spotting in northern Maine come August, i am looking forward to this.

• Like 1

Nice atv , the thing I noticed in your photo is your tires are  looking a bit low on tread. If I could recommend some tires look into Kenda bear claws, I run them on my 2wd Suzuki and mine and the wife’s 4wd  kodiaks. They wear forever and are a great all around tire , amazon has sets for pretty cheap..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rob-c said:

Nice atv , the thing I noticed in your photo is your tires are  looking a bit low on tread. If I could recommend some tires look into Kenda bear claws, I run them on my 2wd Suzuki and mine and the wife’s 4wd  kodiaks. They wear forever and are a great all around tire , amazon has sets for pretty cheap..

I think it was just a deceiving pic angle, I thought the tires were in great shape.  The bear claws are AWESOME though! Coincidentally I have them on the rear of my bayou 220, great recommendation.  I would definitely price them out for this Prairie when the time comes.

20180320_205924.jpg

20171004_173629.jpg

Nice clean machine you got yourself there. I grew up in Fulton county, I don’t know of any “legal” atv trails anywhere. There are lots of trails around but without a trailhead or parking lots, it’s hard to get on any. Plus they all lead in and out of private property all over the place, none I know of are marked in any way shape or form and I’ve never seen any documented on paper. There are several hunting clubs that have large tracts of land up that way with many interior trails and roads that members are allowed to ride on. Growing up we just rode wherever we wanted to with little regard to who owned what. Didn’t seem to be a problem back then, not sure how much that’s changed since then. NY in general sucks for atvs, without belonging to a club, there’s no legal place to go with them other than your own property obviously. Plenty of snowmobile trails around that area, but atvs are restricted and the snowmobile clubs don’t like Atvs tearing stuff up so that’s basically a no go as well. Good luck in your search, wish I had better or more helpful news!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bionic said:

I think it was just a deceiving pic angle, I thought the tires were in great shape.  The bear claws are AWESOME though! Coincidentally I have them on the rear of my bayou 220, great recommendation.  I would definitely price them out for this Prairie when the time comes.

20180320_205924.jpg

20171004_173629.jpg

Yep, see what u mean now. Man that’s a pristine bayou. I started my wife on a 220 bayou, those little 220s you can’t kill them no frills super simple machine. The wife wanted hers painted purple...

63E201DC-16B5-4758-8149-9406E39634E0.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

Nice clean machine you got yourself there. I grew up in Fulton county, I don’t know of any “legal” atv trails anywhere. There are lots of trails around but without a trailhead or parking lots, it’s hard to get on any. Plus they all lead in and out of private property all over the place, none I know of are marked in any way shape or form and I’ve never seen any documented on paper. There are several hunting clubs that have large tracts of land up that way with many interior trails and roads that members are allowed to ride on. Growing up we just rode wherever we wanted to with little regard to who owned what. Didn’t seem to be a problem back then, not sure how much that’s changed since then. NY in general sucks for atvs, without belonging to a club, there’s no legal place to go with them other than your own property obviously. Plenty of snowmobile trails around that area, but atvs are restricted and the snowmobile clubs don’t like Atvs tearing stuff up so that’s basically a no go as well. Good luck in your search, wish I had better or more helpful news!

We are near Saint Johnsville, locals have told us about trails in the area.  I will have to verify for myself prior as to if these are legit ATV trails, or not.  I don't want to ride on something illegal, and wear out the welcomes for others.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rob-c said:

Yep, see what u mean now. Man that’s a pristine bayou. I started my wife on a 220 bayou, those little 220s you can’t kill them no frills super simple machine. The wife wanted hers painted purple...

63E201DC-16B5-4758-8149-9406E39634E0.jpeg

Nice machine,  paint came out great.  They sure do a good job for their size. My girlfriend,  and i both ride on the 220 through the woods at camp.  Not a powerhouse at that point, but definitely goes.  Mine has a wandering idle issue, carb has had it, we rebuilt the carb, bit it needs a little choke to idle until the motors been running awhile, needs to get hot, not like a healthy running machine wear it needs half choke or so for a minute, or two.  Once its hot, and you shuy choke off, it will either idle fine, or run at very high idle.  I hablve to constantly fiddle with the idle adjustment on the carb.  When you actually drive the quad, it runs great.  I paid $120 for the bayou as you see it.

7 minutes ago, Bionic said:

Nice machine,  paint came out great.  They sure do a good job for their size. My girlfriend,  and i both ride on the 220 through the woods at camp.  Not a powerhouse at that point, but definitely goes.  Mine has a wandering idle issue, carb has had it, we rebuilt the carb, bit it needs a little choke to idle until the motors been running awhile, needs to get hot, not like a healthy running machine wear it needs half choke or so for a minute, or two.  Once its hot, and you shuy choke off, it will either idle fine, or run at very high idle.  I hablve to constantly fiddle with the idle adjustment on the carb.  When you actually drive the quad, it runs great.  I paid $120 for the bayou as you see it.

Man I thought I got mine for a deal at $250 and mine needed some work. But yes the bayous are notorious for being very cold blooded.. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rob-c said:

Man I thought I got mine for a deal at $250 and mine needed some work. But yes the bayous are notorious for being very cold blooded.. 

Hell, I got the camo one for $275...

The racing idle is what drives me crazy, sounds like it will grenade.  The bayou, im referring to.  I can understand it being a cold animal, but you need to constantly screw with it.

I was kidding about paying 275 for the camo quad lol.  You did great at 250! 

• Like 1

We are near Saint Johnsville, locals have told us about trails in the area.  I will have to verify for myself prior as to if these are legit ATV trails, or not.  I don't want to ride on something illegal, and wear out the welcomes for others.

Nice. I’m from Northville, on the sacandaga. I’m sure you’ll find many trails around and people will tell you where some are, but the likelihood of them being legit “atv” legal trails are slim to none. Most trails are just ones that locals have used for years and years that most of the time are tolerated by property owners because most everyone has wheelers and likes to ride as well. All the trails I grew up riding on were used by everyone and no one contested it. But they weren’t technically “legal”. It’s more of a socially accepted thing around those parts.

O and don’t forget to keep an eye out for DEC, they love to ruin a good day of riding!

8 hours ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

Nice. I’m from Northville, on the sacandaga. I’m sure you’ll find many trails around and people will tell you where some are, but the likelihood of them being legit “atv” legal trails are slim to none. Most trails are just ones that locals have used for years and years that most of the time are tolerated by property owners because most everyone has wheelers and likes to ride as well. All the trails I grew up riding on were used by everyone and no one contested it. But they weren’t technically “legal”. It’s more of a socially accepted thing around those parts.

O and don’t forget to keep an eye out for DEC, they love to ruin a good day of riding!

Great info, I really do appreciate it.  Like I said, I don't want to ruin it for anyone, step on anyone's toes.

• Like 1

I got the quad home, boy I cannot wait to brimg this to Maine in August.  I have wanted a more capable ATV for a good year now.  I cant wait to round a bend, and see a moose in the trail.

Im not trying to be obnoxious, just happy, and want to share my excitement 

20180322_185458.jpg

20180322_185519.jpg

20180322_192114.jpg

20180322_185535.jpg

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 4

The only place that comes to mind where you can ride trails legally up that way is Newton Falls. They have trails, camping, and hold a rally annually. It's still a bit of a trek for you though. I have never been up there, but have friends that love the area. Might be worth checking out if you are so inclined.

NY is a PITA about ATV's on public land. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rob... said:

The only place that comes to mind where you can ride trails legally up that way is Newton Falls. They have trails, camping, and hold a rally annually. It's still a bit of a trek for you though. I have never been up there, but have friends that love the area. Might be worth checking out if you are so inclined.

NY is a PITA about ATV's on public land. 

Thank you, I appreciate the info.