Just bought a Kawasaki Prairie 360

1 hour ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

Looks good! That lift will sure help out with the added clearance. Now all you need is a tad more aggressive tires and you’d be totally set. New tires for added ply thickness at the very least. Those look like the stock tires, same ones came on my brute force, they are only 2ply! I ripped the sidewall open very quickly. I will never understand why these manufacturers continue to put thin ply and low tread lug tires on these machines.

Thanks xD

Yes, they are definitely stockers, and I hope to run these tires until they are shot.  I hope they handle dirt, and gravel, boney trails.  I plan to just cruise for sightseeing, not run fast, and hard,  hoping they hold up after your input.  

The lights I am still working on.  Just finishing them really, just hoding, and routing the wires nice, and clean at the lights themselves.  

20180406_225900.jpg

20180406_225912.jpg

• Like 1

You might be alright with those tires if you take it easy and do your best to avoid any sharp objects. I really can’t understand why all the manufactures put such thin ply tires on their machines. I’m guessing it has to do with keeping the overall weight down to make it easier for the engine to turn thus making the operator feel more power. But the loss in power is so minuscule as long as you don’t go up in size by more than a inch or so. Almost any other atv tire out there is 6-8ply and some are even 10ply. I think the ones I put on are 6ply and have already needed 1 plug so far but I do have a tendency to drive through and over anything without giving it much thought. In hindsight I should have got the 8ply ones I was considering. Nothing ruins a nice ride like a flat tire!
8bff5cad78b3987b83ef9300d0c363d7.jpg

3 miles into what should of been a 20-30 mile ride. It was the first big long ride I attempted to go on after buying my Brute. We salvaged the day by sitting at that pond in the background catching bass and pickerel and polishing off every last beer in that cooler strapped to my back rack haha. Then had to verrryyyyy slowly ride my brute back to the main road, ditch it in the bushes, ride double with my buddy back to his house to get my truck and go pick up my brute. Never again will I trust stock tires lol. It’s no wonder all these dealers are putting aftermarket wheels and tires on new machines before they even place them on the showrooms.

• Sad 1

Oh boy, I hope I dont have too much trouble up in Maine in August.  I will make sure I have a plug kit, and mini compressor, just incase.   

O ya deff bring your plug kit and compressor. Or for around $350 you can buy yourself a whole lot of piece of mind. If I were heading out of state to a place like Maine where you could get far far away from the truck, that little bit of money would be a no brainer investment. And since you put that lift kit in, if you go up one inch in size all the way around, you’ll gain even more additional clearance
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

O ya deff bring your plug kit and compressor. Or for around $350 you can buy yourself a whole lot of piece of mind. If I were heading out of state to a place like Maine where you could get far far away from the truck, that little bit of money would be a no brainer investment. And since you put that lift kit in, if you go up one inch in size all the way around, you’ll gain even more additional clearanceemoji1303.png

You are definitely right, and i am 100% new to the atv trail life, so I am absolutely considering it.  Fortunately,  I will use the quad up at our camp for a few months prior to Maine, not exactly apples, to apples in terrain comparison,  but maybe it will give me more confidence,  or less confidence with myself,  and girlfriend on the back, as I watch the tires on rocks, and driving over logs.  I will most likely keep the same size tire though, I know you gain no clearance out back until larger diameter tires, its just I honestly like tinkering, and like the tall look of anything once lifted.  I like a bit of wheel gap.  I even like truck with leveling kits, on stock tires.  I was more concerned about the axle angles up front, but it netted 1.75" lift not the advertised 2", I think i will be fine, camber is still decent as well.  My 220 bayou stock, has more positive camber.

Oh, by the way, I notice how soft the sidewalls are, one tire on the rear is low from sitting, and its soft.  I wonder if 2 ply is so the tire grips better, allowing it to smear itself, and hug obstacles, or just more profit for them...lol

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 1

Yep driving around at your camp will probably tell you all you need to know before heading to Maine. If your carrying around extra weight like a passenger or gear it will put even more stress on the tires which will make it easier to pop or tear. I should of got the 8ply and not the 6ply because I’m constantly carrying more weight than I should and I can see the tire wrap around obstacles. It’s good for traction but at the same time I’m more likely to puncture them. I went 1 inch bigger on height just to give me some extra ground clearance and it helped a lot. The brutes have so much power I didn’t notice any power loss. I might put a lift kit in at some point but the CV angles will worry me. With the power the brutes have its very easy to tear up axles. I’d rather not invite more problems lol. The thin sidewalls on the stock tires is the biggest issue. Run up against a log or rock and your done. That’s what happened to me. Ripped a 3 inch gash and I don’t even remember really getting that close to anything. I think it’s definitely related to keeping costs down and weight is why they use them. I’ve had people tell me a theory that it’s also to help the dealers out. If you put crappy tires on, the customer is more likely to replace them at the same place they bought the machine. Not sure if that’s true but it’s not really all that far fetched

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

Yep driving around at your camp will probably tell you all you need to know before heading to Maine. If your carrying around extra weight like a passenger or gear it will put even more stress on the tires which will make it easier to pop or tear. I should of got the 8ply and not the 6ply because I’m constantly carrying more weight than I should and I can see the tire wrap around obstacles. It’s good for traction but at the same time I’m more likely to puncture them. I went 1 inch bigger on height just to give me some extra ground clearance and it helped a lot. The brutes have so much power I didn’t notice any power loss. I might put a lift kit in at some point but the CV angles will worry me. With the power the brutes have its very easy to tear up axles. I’d rather not invite more problems lol. The thin sidewalls on the stock tires is the biggest issue. Run up against a log or rock and your done. That’s what happened to me. Ripped a 3 inch gash and I don’t even remember really getting that close to anything. I think it’s definitely related to keeping costs down and weight is why they use them. I’ve had people tell me a theory that it’s also to help the dealers out. If you put crappy tires on, the customer is more likely to replace them at the same place they bought the machine. Not sure if that’s true but it’s not really all that far fetched

Great infi, thank you.   I will see what happens, drop the brute off, and i will throw in the lift, was a great time xD

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I finished my lights finally.

4 hyperspot pod led lights, along with an 11" single row flood/spot combo beam bar.

I love lights, so I wanted to share. 

First pic: pods and light bar.

Second pic: 4 hyperspot pods. 

20180421_205112.jpg

20180421_205309.jpg

20180421_133658.jpg

20180421_131903.jpg

20180421_133307.jpg

20180421_133431.jpg

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, rob-c said:

Two thumbs up on the lights. Just a FYI if you want high quality tires for a good price check out the Kenda bear claws. I run them on my 2wd Suzuki and both our kodiacs . Great all around tire .. 

I actually have the bear claws on my bayou 220.  Incredible tire like you say! Thanks for the suggestion, and compliment.   The tires on this quad are as good as new, but when the time comes, I might just go bear claws on this.  I really think the airless Michelin tires are bada** though.

On 4/21/2018 at 11:16 PM, BigVal said:

I'd say for clear trails your fine with the stock tires. If you start getting off trail and jumping logs, rocks, etc they are not great. The quad looks great I'd ride it as is and enjoy. Lights are awesome. 

Good to know.  I really only plan to use it for yard work, and crusing trails upstate, and in Maine.  I won't be romping on it, or trail breaking, so I hope they will of good use until they need replacing.  Thanks! Loving the lift, and lights, I am very happy with the machine so far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

Lights look good man! Those will be great to have on long rides up in Maine when you go.

Thank you, i am looking forward to, can't wait.  I have been going to Maine for about 13 yrs now, but have never been on ATV trails, tons of logging roads, so this will be a new chapter!

The girlfriend, and I, and my dad took the quads for a trip Saturday.  Had a blast, did about 16 miles, a nice somewhat short ride, but for first timers, we are hooked.  For being a 360, I can honestly say it is enough for us, and I am very happy to have bought it, and love how I set it up.

20180505_144816.jpg

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Bionic said:

The girlfriend, and I, and my dad took the quads for a trip Saturday.  Had a blast, did about 16 miles, a nice somewhat short ride, but for first timers, we are hooked.  For being a 360, I can honestly say it is enough for us, and I am very happy to have bought it, and love how I set it up.

20180505_144816.jpg

Not sure we’re in the state your at , but if you ever want to go riding with some one,  tall pines in Andover or demon run in Howard are some nice atv parks .. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, rob-c said:

Not sure we’re in the state your at , but if you ever want to go riding with some one,  tall pines in Andover or demon run in Howard are some nice atv parks .. 

Very cool, thank you for the offer, I am in NY.  Let me look into the places you mentioned.

• Like 1

Majestic trails in pa is awesome if you have never been. Not far from Andover either. I live in Olean and have been to tall pines and majestic and prefer majestic by alot

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

Majestic trails in pa is awesome if you have never been. Not far from Andover either. I live in Olean and have been to tall pines and majestic and prefer majestic by alot

Wife and I are heading down to aoaa in p.a in July for a weekend camp and ride,  can’t wait. Hundreds of miles of trails to ride. 

Is majestic the one where you  pay for the entire year to ride ? 

• Like 1

Wife and I are heading down to aoaa in p.a in July for a weekend camp and ride,  can’t wait. Hundreds of miles of trails to ride. 
Is majestic the one where you  pay for the entire year to ride ? 
No majestic trails is in rew pa just outside Bradford it's 20$ a machine a day or 100 for the year. Really an awesome place highly recommend checking it out. There's a ton of trails all marked and different difficulty levels.

Also if ever get the chance go down to WV and check out the Hatfield and macoy trails that's pretty awesome too.