technology

Robhuntandfish

I am in the transportation field and am curious what people think of autonomous vehicles.  There was just a recent fatality involving one that hit a pedestrian in Arizona.  I think the outcome of this will be watched very closely to see if lawsuits are filed.  But i see these becoming prevalent in the not too distant future within 10 years.  The argument will be that there is no human error.  No texting, driving drunk or sleepy drivers, no distracted drivers, no drivers with slow reflexes or attitude, no drivers that dont know the laws of the road etc. With increase in the use of cell phones social media etc (teenagers are reported to be on social media 9 hours a day)  the use of personal technology is increasing and therefore the use of it while driving is also increasing.   The pitch for this to increase will be that it actually will be proven to be statistically safer.  This fatality occurred because of a jaywalker so they can slant it to be their fault.  What autonomous cars cant predict is the randomness of peoples decisions such as running across the road, where a driver can react to this a little better, this will also be the base reason to have more of them on the road.  

We have talked about these things in the field for many years.  Including a pod car service in larger cities - which Uber seems to be a start for this, to someday you will buy a "car service" and not a car.  One day everyones grand kids might say " you used to drive?"   Look at the technology leaps we have seen in our lifetimes already.  The use and innovation of technology is an exponential one due to the fact that the more advanced tech becomes the easier it is to create more.  

• Like 1

I like the idea but think we are still far away from it actually happening. I also only like the idea if and only if we can still switch from autonomous driving to driving ourselves. There is something about cruising around in control of your vehicle doing what you want that I don't want to lose.

Basically autonomous driving for going to and from work and maybe those early morning hunts but I still want to cruise the back roads myself. 

They are a poor idea..they talk about doing with trains.. but people get where they are in expected and not programmed in.. atvs,hunters,hikers,kids. All need someone there to catch the unexpected.. 

Cars would have same issues and lots of people would get killed.. powerlines down across road,Jay walkers, downed trees.. all problems that could create bad accidents. Not to mention road conditions. Stray pets, ect

31 minutes ago, G-Man said:

They are a poor idea..they talk about doing with trains.. but people get where they are in expected and not programmed in.. atvs,hunters,hikers,kids. All need someone there to catch the unexpected.. 

Cars would have same issues and lots of people would get killed.. powerlines down across road,Jay walkers, downed trees.. all problems that could create bad accidents. Not to mention road conditions. Stray pets, ect

Agreed these things are going to happen but I think the push will come from ins companies for corporations.  Motor vehicle accidents were up over 40,000 in 2017 and have risen the last 6 years.  And over half a million people were injured due to distracted drivers.  It will all come to a numbers game.  What is overall safer? That a computer cannot predict a person out of the norm to the way people are driving now.  Aggressive drivers, distracted drivers....it will be interesting to see how fast it might  or might not be integrated.  I think it will happen in our lifetimes and be a norm. 

My Outback has eyesight technology, I can take my hands off the wheel and it’ll drive down 490 by itself, going around curves and staying in the lane. It will brake if it gets to close to another car and it’s cruise will match the speed of the car ahead .

The big issue is the cameras need to be able to see the lines on the road ,so snow or worn lines mean not everything works .

Im not sure sure at this point I’d be for driving cars. However EVERYONE now is on their phone while driving ,being up high in a truck I can see down into cars and it’s every very common ,also when I leave the gym in the morning cars are lined up to get into the high school , every kid is on his phone .

When I respond to accidents it’s more and more that either the other driver will claim or even sometimes the driver them self’s will admit to being on the phone , so something will need to change , put down the phone or let the car drive it self .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 2

Nervous about this auto technology, with many concerns already mentioned here. Another is a mechanical failure...when a tire blows out, what kind of reaction is taken to control the vehicle? I, for one, would prefer being in control of that situation....excuse me while I let my robot take the dog outside for a walk...

43 minutes ago, Merlot said:

Nervous about this auto technology, with many concerns already mentioned here. Another is a mechanical failure...when a tire blows out, what kind of reaction is taken to control the vehicle? I, for one, would prefer being in control of that situation....excuse me while I let my robot take the dog outside for a walk...

true but where a person tends to panic and make a wrong decision a computer will not and will correct the vehicle and brake and steer as they should mechanically.   

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Agreed these things are going to happen but I think the push will come from ins companies for corporations.  Motor vehicle accidents were up over 40,000 in 2017 and have risen the last 6 years.  And over half a million people were injured due to distracted drivers.  It will all come to a numbers game.  What is overall safer? That a computer cannot predict a person out of the norm to the way people are driving now.  Aggressive drivers, distracted drivers....it will be interesting to see how fast it might  or might not be integrated.  I think it will happen in our lifetimes and be a norm. 

"Fatal" Motor vehicle accidents were up over the 40,000 mark in 2017  -  

One of the few skills I have left, to impress my wife, is my driving skills!  Slipping and sliding in snow, pulling into tight parking spots, backing a trailer, avoiding distracted drivers, not having an "incident" in close to forty years. That is a source of pride for me!  Driving is one of the things, I'd rather just do myself!

• Like 5

I have been a auto mechanic for many many years and have worked on cars since I was 12. The one thing I can say about anything that is designed , built or assembled by man, there will be problems.. nothing is 100% fool proof.. 

• Like 2

Drove tractor trailer, picking up and delivering freight, for 30+ years, and dump truck in between for 45 yrs.Dont see anyway possible the city driver for freight will ever be replaced, dump truck maybe???

I have not been able to drive for 5 +weeks with a broken foot, my wife has to drive, not liking it but no choice.She is not a bad driver but i hate riding with anybody, that being said can't believe i would be able to sit in a car or truck with my hands in my pockets.

14 minutes ago, 52 farmer said:

Drove tractor trailer, picking up and delivering freight, for 30+ years, and dump truck in between for 45 yrs.Dont see anyway possible the city driver for freight will ever be replaced, dump truck maybe???

I have not been able to drive for 5 +weeks with a broken foot, my wife has to drive, not liking it but no choice.She is not a bad driver but i hate riding with anybody, that being said can't believe i would be able to sit in a car or truck with my hands in my pockets.

cant imagine driving a rig in the city - I would be a mess!  

I wont drive in the city in my pickup. 

13 minutes ago, 52 farmer said:

Its really not bad, just like riding a bike, you dont even think about it just go out and do it.

i once drove to Baltimore to see the Yanks play there and i was such a mess driving thru town that i thought about giving away the tickets and driving until i saw a cornfield!  lol 

• Haha 2

My random thoughts:

1. Tens of thousands of people die from car accidents resulting from human error but one involving an automated vehicle and its all over.

2. Self driving cars will eventually lead to Skynet.  James Cameron was off by 25 years or so.

3. Our grand kids will watch The Jetson and think it was about the past because other than the floating homes, everything in that cartoon we already have in some form or another.

14 minutes ago, Elmo said:

Our grand kids will watch The Jetson and think it was about the past because other than the floating homes, everything in that cartoon we already have in some form or another.

Talking dogs ?

I grew up racing. Not so much cars as motorcycles and Karts, but still... It will be soon enough that someone/something pushes me around in a wheelchair that I don't have control over. I don't want to rush it. FWIW, I don't even listen to the radio while I'm driving. Zero distractions. Except for the buck that jumped into my headlight last year out of nowhere. ;-]