technology

Robhuntandfish

The reason I doubt we will see many human drivers eliminated in the next ten years, is because there has been no indications that a non-hackable and non-glitching computer is even close to development.  Looking at the dash-cam footage from the recent pedestrian run-over in Arizona indicates that a human at the wheel might have prevented it.  I am fairly certain that I could have, with over 30 years of experience dodging deer in similar conditions.   I am constantly scanning the sides and have been able to dodge many by a combination of quick (anti-lock) braking and swerve. That said though, a forward/side-scanning radar linked with the brakes could have likely prevented it even better, and the technology is probably already here for that.  That tool, combined with a human at the wheel, would be a big help in avoiding such accidents.     

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Elmo said:

My random thoughts:

1. Tens of thousands of people die from car accidents resulting from human error but one involving an automated vehicle and its all over.

I suspect that as a percentage of each kind of vehicle running around out there that one accident with the automated vehicle is probably quite significant.

These start-up failures are going to be quite traumatic for somebody. I just hope I am never on the receiving end of either style of vehicular accident......lol.

8 hours ago, wolc123 said:

The reason I doubt we will see many human drivers eliminated in the next ten years, is because there has been no indications that a non-hackable and non-glitching computer is even close to development.  Looking at the dash-cam footage from the recent pedestrian run-over in Arizona indicates that a human at the wheel might have prevented it.  I am fairly certain that I could have, with over 30 years of experience dodging deer in similar conditions.   I am constantly scanning the sides and have been able to dodge many by a combination of quick (anti-lock) braking and swerve. That said though, a forward/side-scanning radar linked with the brakes could have likely prevented it even better, and the technology is probably already here for that.  That tool, combined with a human at the wheel, would be a big help in avoiding such accidents.     

there are computers that run the electric grid and nuclear power plants etc etc. this would be no different. And yes a person could have avoided this one accident in Arizona but how many people today caused fatal accidents on the road ? on average 103 people die everyday on the road.  With thousands of injuries.  Yes the computer will have errors due to the unpredictable actions of people but these actions are also what causes the most accidents behind the wheel.