New Hunter

Adam95

Hello all.  I am a 35 year old who is registered for a Hunter's safety course to take place in a few weeks.  I grew up here in rural New York state, and in a hunting family.  Because of a variety of reasons I never took the hunter's safety course as a youngster, but I am starting to get the desire to hunt again now as an adult.  My primary question for folks here is what is it like taking the hunter's ed course as an adult?  I'm sure most of the participants will be youngsters between 12-16 years of age.  Is there usually a mix of adults and children in the course?  Will it seem awkward for me going through the course as an adult?  Thanks.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Adam95 said:

Hello all.  I am a 35 year old who is registered for a Hunter's safety course to take place in a few weeks.  I grew up here in rural New York state, and in a hunting family.  Because of a variety of reasons I never took the hunter's safety course as a youngster, but I am starting to get the desire to hunt again now as an adult.  My primary question for folks here is what is it like taking the hunter's ed course as an adult?  I'm sure most of the participants will be youngsters between 12-16 years of age.  Is there usually a mix of adults and children in the course?  Will it seem awkward for me going through the course as an adult?  Thanks.

I took it at 41   There was a variety of ages.   Good experience.   

Edited by moog5050

Welcome aboard! I went with my wife when she took hers and I took mine again just for the heck of it. I was probably 35 at the time. Since then I took it again with my daughter (I was late 40's at the time), and hope to go with my grandson in a couple years. Always had adults in the class and it never seemed out of the ordinary.

Welcome aboard.

When I took the course, there were maybe at dozen guys our age.  And there were 2 kids.  Obviously we treated the kids well but if you were an outsider looking in you would think the kids were the outcasts.

Welcome to HNY, Adam95!

You'll find that the hunting course, and hunting in general, is less about age than it is about attitude and desire. I've passed my experience on to younger folks, but I've also learned a lot from them whippersnappers when I listened. Enjoy the class, and post pics of the harvest.

Couple years ago, I sat through the firearms and bow classes with my grandson. There was a good mix of ages, and even some females too. I was really glad I went. All the reminders of safety, got me thinking, a refresher sure wasn't a waste of time.

Welcome, and glad to have you with us! Good luck with all your future hunting adventures! Pull up a seat, and join right in anytime!

Welcome aboard. It’s been 17 years since I took my hunters ed class but I do remember there being all age groups in it. Same for the bow hunter ed class. You shouldn’t be worried at all about it there will be plenty of older guys in there. And once it’s over, you don’t ever have to do it again.

And don’t forget to ask any questions you might have while your there, no matter how dumb you think it might sound. Plenty of others sitting in that room might have the same questions but don’t have the courage to speak up and ask! The instructors are there for this very reason! Good luck and welcome to the hunting community!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...