Vortex 4-16 x 42mm

Waiting for me on my doorstep today.

I picked up a Savage model 12 heavy barrel back around Christmas as a present for myself. It's been waiting in the safe since then for some (hopefully) nice glass. My first Vortex scope, but bought it after buying Vortex binoculars last year. Really liked the binos for that price point.

Got a pair of weaver bases and the Grand Slam rings. Should all slide together nicely, with a touch of blue loctite, and be torqued down correctly .

Hopefully first bangs downrange this weekend!

IMG_2634.JPG

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 6

30 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Ill be interested to see how you like the Diamondback HP. I havent had one of those yet.

My son in law has a viper which I loved, but not the price so much.

I got home around dark last night, so I didn't even take it out of the box to look through it yet. Might get that mounted up tonight, and give the rifle a good cleaning as it went right from the cardboard box and into the safe in December.

1 hour ago, Steuben Jerry said:

My son in law has a viper which I loved, but not the price so much.

I got home around dark last night, so I didn't even take it out of the box to look through it yet. Might get that mounted up tonight, and give the rifle a good cleaning as it went right from the cardboard box and into the safe in December.

I have a Viper and love it. One of the nicest scopes I have ever looked through. I have and have had a bunch of Crossfire and Crossfire 2s. They are very nice glass, especially for the price. I havent looked into anything in between the two yet, but I have a few rifles that need better glass, so thats why Im curious.

Dammit, went to mount the rings, and no #%*$@ clamps or clamp screws in the &%#&@  package. Not so good QC in the packaging department at Weaver. Really wanted to shoot it this weekend too.

So now I need some help from you guys;

I can get my return or refund from Cabelas, but if I want to try it this weekend, the rings are most likely on the shelf at Dicks or Field and Stream. I drive right by there on the way home from work. So after the moral outrage in the Dicks thread after Parkland (and I think I added my 2 or 3 cents), do I make a quick stop and get them before the weekend or do I shun the crap out of them? :dontknow:

3 minutes ago, bugsNbows said:

Pizz on Dicks and F&S. Keep driving'. 

I hear you, but I drive 80 miles (one way) form work to get home at 7:00 pm. Asleep at 9:30 to get up at 4:30. Convenience matters.

Trying to find a mom and pop shop near my travel to see if I can avoid Dicks, but it certainly is convenient. 10 minutes in and out.

4 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Yes, and there's a big Walmart directly across the road from work. I planned on giving it a look at lunch time.

I'm not super picky on the rings, but I like the Grand Slams, and need the high ones.

walmart has the same policy change as Dicks.  If you shop at walmart - i would shop at Dicks.  They arent changing their policy and the ring manufacturer cert didnt pull their merchandise for Dicks to sell. I wouldnt feel guilty but I would be shooting with my new scope rings! lol 

24 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

walmart has the same policy change as Dicks.  If you shop at walmart - i would shop at Dicks.  They arent changing their policy and the ring manufacturer cert didnt pull their merchandise for Dicks to sell. I wouldnt feel guilty but I would be shooting with my new scope rings! lol 

Arrgh! This is starting to cramp my style!

I read Papist's post on the Citibank thing yesterday, and I have a Citicard. So I would have probably have normally stopped at Dicks, swiped my Citibank card and been on my way in 10 mins.

Stupid moral obligations!!

1 minute ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Arrgh! This is starting to cramp my style!

I read Papist's post on the Citibank thing yesterday, and I have a Citicard. So I would have probably have normally stopped at Dicks, swiped my Citibank card and been on my way in 10 mins.

Stupid moral obligations!!

Its hard not to patron everywhere that has bad policies that you might not agree with .  If you read through all of there policies at each big business we prob wouldnt be able to buy/use anywhere.  lol  

Do you buy stuff from China....... etc etc. I always try to do what i can and buy more often from local mom and pop businesses.  Esp restaurants.  Or try to buy american made products when avail . But I cant see why Dicks was so singled out when Walmart did the exact same thing and so will many others.  Walmart also has a policy to ask if your buying pistol ammo and asks to see your permit.  This isnt a law ..... but company policy.  And if you went thru every banks policy .... oh my........

If you buy them at Dicks I wont tell!  lol 

but let us know how the sighting in goes! 

I would just contact Cabelas, they will make it right with you, nobody chomps at the bit more than I when it comes to firing a new gun but personally I will wait a couple of extra days before Dick's gets one nickle out of me!!!

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

Lunch time score at Wally world - last one on the shelf. Not exactly the same ones, but close enough. Just saw your post WNY, thanks for the offer!

There, I'm still shunning Dick's and field and stream. No jokes about shunning dicks please, I've always shunned those things!

IMG_6514.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Its hard not to patron everywhere that has bad policies that you might not agree with .  If you read through all of there policies at each big business we prob wouldnt be able to buy/use anywhere. 

That's true. I buy from Amazon, and politically speaking I'm the polar opposite of Jeff Bezos.

Edit to add. I'm also his polar opposite financially speaking...^_^

Edited by Steuben Jerry

20 hours ago, airedale said:

I would just contact Cabelas, they will make it right with you, nobody chomps at the bit more than I when it comes to firing a new gun but personally I will wait a couple of extra days before Dick's gets one nickle out of me!!!

Al

This ^^^

Got it mounted and bore sighted.

I was surprised to see it came with a sunshade when I opened the box. No mention of that in the product description. I can't tell if it looks obnoxious or if it's kind of fitting with the long heavy barrel. Kind of leaning toward obnoxious.

Is it too early to start sending groups of three downrange out back?

IMG_2637.JPG

• Like 1

Nice rig Jerry, she should be a shooter, as for the sun shade it is just that, while not needed for most shooting it will allow you to see clearly through your scope with a bright sunny situation when facing the sun by eliminating glare off of the objective lens. 

Al

8 minutes ago, airedale said:

Nice rig Jerry, she should be a shooter, as for the sun shade it is just that, while not needed for most shooting it will allow you to see clearly through your scope with a bright sunny situation when facing the sun by eliminating glare off of the objective lens. 

Al

Was just cleaning it up a bit and I'm coming around to liking the look. 

Only shot one box at 100 yds to get it close. The last 3 without adjustments are the closest to the bullseye on the right hand target. Still have to come left and up obviously but I only had two boxes of ammo and didn't want to shoot it all yet. I'll get some more ammo and finish dialing it in at 200 when the snow goes so I can get out back and stretch it to 400. This was a spot behind the house that I can get 100 through the woods. Trying to break it in gently too. 6 shots, swabbed it, 6 more shots, swabbed it, and 8 shots.

I didn't mention that it's a 6.5 Creedmoor. Been reading and hearing about this caliber and "needed" it all of a sudden, lol. It's a heavy sucker though, and a little front heavy with the heavy barrel. I was kind of thinking about a Boyd's stock, but I'm not sure I want to add any more weight. Although that might help the balance.

I like the Vortex scope a lot. Easy and quick to get a full sight picture, even at 16X. Very crisp and bright. Looking forward to seeing it under low light conditions. I've got to read the manual for the details on the features like the parallax, second focal plane, and reticle hashmark stuff.

I love Savages. This is my fifth and I get great accuracy with all of them. I think this one is another shooter!

IMG_2639.JPG

IMG_2640.JPG

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 1