How Does Your Garden Grow

Planted last weekend. Tomatoes, 6 different types of peppers, brocoli, cauliflower, cabbage, yellow squash, corn, radishes, beets, beans and carrots. Now just a matter of keeping watered and fertilized and watching it grow. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, the blur said:

I just installed metal fence post, and a deer barrier. 50x100' garden.    6' high should keep out the deer.     I know the birds will still by flying in.    Raccoons may not like going over the flexible barrier.  Too much movement for them.   It's a soft fabric fence material.

It's my 1st year.   So  I have the cams up, to see if I have nuisance animals.     If I do, I'll trap them this winter  & squirrel hunt opening day.

I have more problem with rabbits than deer. Come rabbit season, we'll be checking that, LOL.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

I have more problem with rabbits than deer. Come rabbit season, we'll be checking that, LOL.

I hear you on the rabbits. Last year they wiped out every one of my broccoli and cabbage plants within a few days of being planted. Oddly, they did not touch any of the other plants. I have a fence up now. We'll see how it keeps them out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Put a new shaft in my rototiller Sunday and worked up the  entire garden. Plants were just waiting for that rain we had Monday. The entire garden now seems like fast forward with growth. Potatoes are poking through,  waiting for the potato beetle and blight to come on.  I got more cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower in for some late season product. Another planting of lettuce and some cherry tomatoes. 

garden 2018 007.JPG

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

For critter protection I suggest 4' high welded wire fencing and an electric fence. One strand at the top and another 3" off the ground. This is the rig that we have been using since the 80's and have not had any damage since. Yes, deer could jump over, but they don't.

• Like 1

I have container garden setup at my friends lot 15 minute drive from me on Lake Ontario. He tore down the mobile home few years ago so he said use the old patio slab if I wanted to. I have mix of different peppers and tomatoes. I had a good yield of plants last year and will have more this year as I added more plants.

20180620_124639.jpg

• Like 2

What a growing season so far. Just when I figured it would be drought that would kill off the garden, we got this rainy stretch. At the end of this week we are supposed to get warm again. Plants are growing way faster than I have ever seen them.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

It was a rainy weekend but, only managed to get 4/10th of an inch here. Calling for more thunder showers Wednesday; possible heavy down pours. Please, no gully washers like last summer.

Yes, as great as this growing season has been, we are still vulnerable to damaging hail, and heavy forceful rains, and flash flooding. I'm still keeping those fingers crossed, but so far this season has been the absolute best of all my years of gardening and that includes even back when I was a kid.

On 6/24/2018 at 11:53 AM, greg54 said:

I have container garden setup at my friends lot 15 minute drive from me on Lake Ontario. He tore down the mobile home few years ago so he said use the old patio slab if I wanted to. I have mix of different peppers and tomatoes. I had a good yield of plants last year and will have more this year as I added more plants.

20180620_124639.jpg

Looks great, best part no weeding.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 52 farmer said:

Looks great, best part no weeding.

It really saves the already sore back lol. And when I am busy and can't water I just text the neighbor there and he gladly does it for me. He gets the reward of peppers and tomatoes any time he wants any!

• 4 weeks later...

Mines doing great radishes did great been picking squash and zucchini for 2 weeks cucumbers like crazy bean making lots of pickles. Just started getting green beans just pick 2 big lots full. Already have had broccoli heads and green peppers. Jalapenos doing well will be earring corn this weekend. Just waiting on my tomatoes to turn ripe but have a ton of green ones. Beets in still waiting on.

On 7/31/2018 at 4:51 PM, landtracdeerhunter said:

5b60cb20e8d50_fp18017.thumb.JPG.76cbf2607a95e721f632967f0f2b78c2.JPGPretty please with the potato growth this dry year. No irrigation. Onions , size of a golf ball. Tomatoes and peppers have had it. Just planted some pickles. How is everyone else"s doing?

• Like 3

Let's change the subject for a minute....      I need to install a drywell, drainage cement ring for my barn.      So now the roof water, asphalt shingle roof, will be draining into the dirt, about 20' from my garden.

I'm not too happy about that, since the roof shingles are oil based.    Should I be concerned about oil's leaching into my garden ?

The cement ring is certainly deeper than my garden will ever grow,... but you never know...

3 hours ago, the blur said:

Let's change the subject for a minute....      I need to install a drywell, drainage cement ring for my barn.      So now the roof water, asphalt shingle roof, will be draining into the dirt, about 20' from my garden.

I'm not too happy about that, since the roof shingles are oil based.    Should I be concerned about oil's leaching into my garden ?

The cement ring is certainly deeper than my garden will ever grow,... but you never know...

I know of several people using asphalt shingle rain barrel water for irrigating their gardens. Water doesn't stay on the asphalt singles to long.  What a few seconds before it's in the gutters.  I guess if it really bothers you, move the garden.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

I know of several people using asphalt shingle rain barrel water for irrigating their gardens. Water doesn't stay on the asphalt singles to long.  What a few seconds before it's in the gutters.  I guess if it really bothers you, move the garden.

I guess the short time frame alleviates the leaching of oils into the water.    But if you ever clean a gutter,  there is always shingle particles in the gutter, which will make it into the drywell... no matter what.

Picking a couple cucumbers and yellow squash every day for the last couple weeks. First crop of beans are about ready to pick. Just started picking hungarian wax and jalapenos. Cherry peppers are close. Tomatoes seem a little behind. Radishes and corn crapped out.   

• 1 month later...

We managed to make a couple batches of pickles and started a veggie stand. The kids loved the stand, made $80 in 4 weeks. Made it out of some scraps i had laying around couldn't imagine they would have made that much. I was hoping just enough to buy some worms for fishing. ce5dace80d081aaabf8d9c60c9406f55.jpg739bb93611cf729a86793c448d836094.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1