How Does Your Garden Grow

I figure I would start a garden growing thread. I will be planting a garden this season. Got my tomatoes, hot and bell peppers, and egg plant started in some containers in a sunny warm spot.  Oh maybe 75 or so.  Figure on sweet corn, watermelon, muskmelon, pumpkins, cabbage, califlower, broccoli, and some zinnia's. Just hope I can get on the ground before the 4th of July, LOL.

• Like 2

Great topic!  I for one am looking forward to planting a vegetable garden this year.

I plan on pumpkins, zuckes, tomatoes and sweet banana peppers.  Perhaps a few winter squash varieties.  For the herbs, Ill have basil and parsley.. maybe cilantro also.  Chives are a must and I may try some green onions.

• Like 2

I drove my little tractor out to my food plots at the house and waded around in the snow.  I did manage to prune a wild apple tree.

I will plant peas, salad greens, onions, beets, sweet peppers and some tomatoes in my two raised beds.  These are next to my grill, so I weed a little while I tend the grill and drink a beer.  

I plan to plant zuchinni, summer squash, cukes, pumpkins, and a variety of winter squash in my "pumpkin patch".  This is a long, slightly raised strip that I cover with heavy duty plastic.  It requires very little watering and less weeding.

• Like 1

Gonna start my seeds this weekend indoors. I typically do 5 or 6 different peppers (hot and sweet), roma tomatoes, broccoli and cabbage. They will be ready to transplant outside end of May. Beans, radishes, lettuce, carrots and corn get sowed directly into the soil in late May.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Garden plowed yesterday and worked today. I just got some sweet yellow and white onions bulbs planted. Short row of radish, lettuce, swiss chard, and beets. I can't wait to start harvesting.  Little early for the potatoes, few pepper and Arctic tomato plants yet.

Hows everyone else doing?

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

normally i'd have plants started. i guess i'm behind this year.  always seems to be stunted when bringing them outside and putting them in actual dirt.  i've got to get the garden tilled up and top off the raised beds. probably this weekend.

• Like 1

using some seed packets from last year and getting some mixed results in my indoor seed starter. But all my spinach and lettuce is outside in the beds. A few green beans and peppers are out, the others not germinating yet which is annoying and cantelope probably ready sometime this week. This late spring has really set me back.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2018 at 10:06 AM, Dick said:

using some seed packets from last year and getting some mixed results in my indoor seed starter. But all my spinach and lettuce is outside in the beds. A few green beans and peppers are out, the others not germinating yet which is annoying and cantelope probably ready sometime this week. This late spring has really set me back.

I still worry about a frost till Memorial Day for peppers and beans.

found my seed from last year. usually to solve the germination problem i use small paper pots and plant a few seeds in each. then i pluck late germinating or smaller ones leaving one left in each.

last year we got a late frost that screwed some trying to get a jump on things. i think this weekend i might get things moving along. extended forecast looks fine.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The wife and I planted our garden on sunday. We had planted a couple rows or radishes and beets, swiss chard, carrots and green beans the week prior. Sunday we planted corn, butternut squash, spaghetti squash, yellow squash, zucchini, cucumbers. Onions, started eggplant, started tomato plants, started jalapenos and green bell peppers. This weekend well be planting pumpkins and 2 more rows of green beans. Plus I made the garden bigger this year went from 15x30 to 30x70. Let's see how it grows. My radishes and beets have already broken ground.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

The wife and I planted our garden on sunday. We had planted a couple rows or radishes and beets, swiss chard, carrots and green beans the week prior. Sunday we planted corn, butternut squash, spaghetti squash, yellow squash, zucchini, cucumbers. Onions, started eggplant, started tomato plants, started jalapenos and green bell peppers. This weekend well be planting pumpkins and 2 more rows of green beans. Plus I made the garden bigger this year went from 15x30 to 30x70. Let's see how it grows. My radishes and beets have already broken ground.

my son plants a 20x30 garden. He grows all the vine plants on trellises.

• Like 1

We put in a nice sized garden up at or cottage. I'm now shopping around for some drip irrigation. 3 30' rows of corn corn 3 30' rows of snap beans 12 tomato plants, 15 summer squash/zucchini only 6 bell peppers. Adding cantaloupe, and watermelon. Garden is 50' long x 60' wide. Looking forward to canning and freezing some veggies this year. 303ed16d1e4a4fb02b1588624da54ec0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

@chas0218 holy hell. 15 zucchini? i had 6 plants and we ate it all summer, gave some away, and could probably use it as clean fill. lol better stay on those every day.

Mixture of Zuchs and summer squash. I plan on canning some zucchini relish and the rest just canned for consumption in the winter months. We plan on doing Zucchini Zoodles basically noodles made from zucchini or squash. It is much healthier and we won't need to buy spaghetti pasta anymore. We will still use elbows and such but we like our pasta and this is a low carb way of making spaghetti. 

Edit: My wife informed me there were only 12 Zucchs and squash. The others are acorn and butternut squash.

Edited by chas0218

23 hours ago, chas0218 said:

Mixture of Zuchs and summer squash. I plan on canning some zucchini relish and the rest just canned for consumption in the winter months. We plan on doing Zucchini Zoodles basically noodles made from zucchini or squash. It is much healthier and we won't need to buy spaghetti pasta anymore. We will still use elbows and such but we like our pasta and this is a low carb way of making spaghetti. 

Edit: My wife informed me there were only 12 Zucchs and squash. The others are acorn and butternut squash.

i got you. yea we've done all them. even sliced them thin to make lasagne/lasagna. we've done noodles but it holds so much water you practically need to squeeze it out with cheese cloth. otherwise it gets too mushy. same with freezing. i just remember we got a lot. doing 4 probably this year.

I just installed metal fence post, and a deer barrier. 50x100' garden.    6' high should keep out the deer.     I know the birds will still by flying in.    Raccoons may not like going over the flexible barrier.  Too much movement for them.   It's a soft fabric fence material.

It's my 1st year.   So  I have the cams up, to see if I have nuisance animals.     If I do, I'll trap them this winter  & squirrel hunt opening day.

• Like 1