Recommended Mouth Calls

Five Seasons

none are that expensive.  i'd steer clear of a sonic dome or others that are supposed to make it easier to use but really don't. i honestly haven't had a bad sounding mouth call. unless you're fairly good (controlled) don't go for anything deep cut or lots of reeds and rasp. simple uncut double reeds sound too clean and peeper like to me. something in the middle is nice.  probably one of my favorites is the team Primos Will primos edition. it's a green tape and black top reed. easy blowing and can work it pretty quiet with control to seal the deal when they get in closer and your hands are on the gun aiming instead of trying to run a call. a call is a call. look for one similar if you can't find it.

Edited by dbHunterNY
  • Like 1

i've got all kinds from Down-N-Dirty, had some custom makers, Quaker Boy, Knight&Hale, Primos, probably some others, and just picked up a few more that i don't even remember what they are. they were in a fish bowl type of container, individually packaged, and like just under $2 a piece.

i really like this one though.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1008156438/primos-team-primos-signature-series-will-primos-1-diaphragm-turkey-call

just remember to keep it clean and the reeds not stuck together or the best call because rasp less and squeeky.  often it works to give the call hell like you're a pissed turkey in the truck before you get out there to your spot.  easier than messing with reed separators in the dark, despite they work good when you otherwise don't plan to hunt.  i often leave mine in a solution of mouth wash and water during the season.

39 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

just remember to keep it clean and the reeds not stuck together or the best call because rasp less and squeeky.  often it works to give the call hell like you're a pissed turkey in the truck before you get out there to your spot.  easier than messing with reed separators in the dark, despite they work good when you otherwise don't plan to hunt.  i often leave mine in a solution of mouth wash and water during the season.

i've heard that and never done it. maybe i'll start this year. seems like the sanitary thing to do too.

one thing i didn't mention is washing them first before use. the reeds have a powder on them and i don't care to ingest that stuff.

don't use too much mouth wash or the reeds will breakdown.  just about a 40% of it and rest water.  i even used to use bottled water when living on the parent's farm as they had really hard water.  when the season is over rinse then in room temp slightly soapy water using mild dish soap. i use reed separators to clean in between each reed carefully, as in don't get it caught and stretch the hell out of the latex or what material the reed is. the green ones that come with the Primos call in the link i posted work well enough.  i've used the spare tabs for dress shirt collars too. once washed rinse real good with cold water. pat dry. then i store them in the butter box on the door of the fridge in a container that allows air flow. seem to last a few years before my personal OCD threshold kicks in.  my container looks like a pouch or purse type of thing that came with my vest. i was thinking about starting a post up your vest and what's in it thread but i'll maybe post a pic of the pouch later.

• Thanks 1

I get the dry heaves when I have to pick up a couple/few new diaphragm calls.  :)

Back in 1981 I learned on a Quaker Boy Old Boss Hen and a Pro Triple.  The PT didn't cut it like the OBH and languished in my underwear drawer for years before it went out with some old BVD's........I went through lots of OBH calls over the years and then about 15 years ago they seemed to change.  (or maybe it was me?)

Since then I've been all over the board and to be honest, I'm not sure what I've got in my vest right now!

Never used any tooth picks to separate reeds or rinse/store in mouthwash.......my system works for me, YMMV.

Sorry if I'm no help; better luck next time. :)

Buy the one with the frame that fits your mouth.. reed..the more the raspier I've never seen a reason for more than 2. I don't gobblers chase in fall. So no need for gobbler calls. I do not like to use mouth calls in general but I always had to use small framed calls or I gag. (And I have no reason or desire to over come my gag reflex)  I'll stick with my pots and pushover. 

Unless I get them for a Christmas present, I always get the Quaker Boys with the aluminum "U" frame so I can bend it to fit better. I also trim a lot of them off. It is what works for me. 

I have never figured out how they claim the single reed calls are the easiest to use because they vibrate so much in my mouth that i can't use them. Best bet is to buy a pack of calls and try them out. The worst you will be is out $20. 

Yeah, progressively trimming off excess tape and bending frame to form-fit the roof of your mouth is key. If you don't do this, you're bound to be disappointed or at best very frustrated with diaphragm calls as a new user. Oh yeah, just in case you forgot, your mouth is literally an incubator for germs. Do whatever you need to do to keep it clean, even a simple water rinse or the preferred mouthwash method.

Guessing there are 20 or more diaphragm call  makes by simply looking at the BP turkey hunting catalog. Then each mfger has maybe 5-6 different varieties of mouth calls. Some are made or endorsed by champion callers, some made in garage shops and others may even be made in small production shops overseas... Pretty sure these calls are mainly low-tech, hand-made and not a lot of quality control is involved to insure each call or lot is the same as others and same style of call between different mfgers differ. Exception may be mfgers that sell a lot of calls, ie; Primos or Quaker Boy. Also, the same call makes a slightly different sound among different users. It's definitely mind-boggling all the unique varieties with 1, 2 or 3 diaphragms, "funky" cuts or materials and esp all the fancy names given to them!!! Just starting out - KISS, then evolve onto the trial 'n' error journey. Unfortunately you have no way of knowing how a specific diaphragm call will work for you until you take it out of the pkging, fit it and try it.

Edited by nyslowhand

3 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

i once called in a Jake with a beer bottle and car keys.  lol  I was out in the backyard and saw a jake in the brush .  knocked my beer bottle on the keys in my pocket a few times and he came right out into the back yard looking for it.  Dilly Dilly - it was a bud light longneck 

this is like the guy who hunts in his work cloths. yes it can work, but i'm all about increasing my odds if I'm getting up at 4am on a saturday lol.

On 3/22/2018 at 5:51 PM, Lawdwaz said:

I went through lots of OBH calls over the years and then about 15 years ago they seemed to change.  (or maybe it was me?)

You are not alone, same call same feeling here. I started with a Boss Hen then the name changed to a Boss Hen Magnum, then it went to crap and I never bought another one. 

7 hours ago, Belo said:

interesting about trimming the calls. I've had flextones for the last 3 years and never did that and they are a little uncomfortable. all good tips guys thanks.

I don’t trim too often, once they break in they get more flexible which is what you want so they can form a seal at the roof of your mouth. 

• Like 2