Vegans and masculinity

steve863

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/22/eating-vegan-diet-promotes-white-masculinity-sociologist-argues.html

Had to post this stupid article, since it has to be one of the dumbest I've read in a while.  And believe it or not it was on the Fox website, so Storm can't say that it was from a "liberal" biased site.  My own opinion is that men who are vegans are wimps and pu$$ies, but this article tries to argue the opposite.  Interested to hear everyone's thoughts?

• Like 1

I don't think being a vegan automatically qualifies you as being a wimp or pussy, but a lot of vegan men certainly fit the profile.:rofl: My one son is dating a girl who's a vegan, she's nice enough and doesn't skeev at the mounts around the house or make faces when the rest of us have a steak, so I can't be too rough on her. She's slowly but surely influencing him though. But I will say, he's probably in better shape than I have ever been in my entire life, slim but not skinny and he works out and rides a bike all the time; maybe there is something to eating a little more healthier?

9 minutes ago, steve863 said:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/22/eating-vegan-diet-promotes-white-masculinity-sociologist-argues.html

Had to post this stupid article, since it has to be one of the dumbest I've read in a while.  And believe it or not it was on the Fox website, so Storm can't say that it was from a "liberal" biased site.  My own opinion is that men who are vegans are wimps and pu$$ies, but this article tries to argue the opposite.  Interested to hear everyone's thoughts?

After Mycek conducted 20 in-depth interviews with self-identified vegan and vegetarian men, she concluded they “uphold gendered binaries of emotion/rationality and current ideas of middle-class, white masculinity.”

And the bold is where the problem lies. Let me give everyone the Readers Digest version. (For you younger folks you may want to Google that last part...LOL).

If you lower the bar enough, standards ("current ideas") are easy to reach. 

• Like 3

Do not have a clue about the masculinity-femininity angle of this article, I have heard that there is some truth that anyone, "man or woman" that just eats plants does a lot of farting!:rofl:

As for myself I just stick with the old novel method of choosing food, if it tastes good I will eat it!

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Uncle Nicky said:

I don't think being a vegan automatically qualifies you as being a wimp or pussy, but a lot of vegan men certainly fit the profile.:rofl: My one son is dating a girl who's a vegan, she's nice enough and doesn't skeev at the mounts around the house or make faces when the rest of us have a steak, so I can't be too rough on her. She's slowly but surely influencing him though. But I will say, he's probably in better shape than I have ever been in my entire life, slim but not skinny and he works out and rides a bike all the time; maybe there is something to eating a little more healthier?

I have nothing against eating "healthier".  I know it's a good thing.  But that doesn't have to mean eating NO meat at all.  That's what I have a problem with, most especially with men going vegan.  Yeah, I can see women preferring other foods, but I don't think I've ever seen a guy, who I'd describe as being a real "guy" who was a vegan.  They have all been a bunch of loonies living in a utopian la la land.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steve863 said:

I have nothing against eating "healthier".  I know it's a good thing.  But that doesn't have to mean eating NO meat at all.  That's what I have a problem with, most especially with men going vegan.  Yeah, I can see women preferring other foods, but I don't think I've ever seen a guy, who I'd describe as being a real "guy" who was a vegan.  They have all been a bunch of loonies living in a utopian la la land.

In our culture, I mostly agree. I know I'd have a tough time if I had to give up meat or fish. But some cultures in other parts of the world eat little or no meat at all. As the years go on, I do notice that I don't feel especially good the next day after eating a 16 oz ribeye, even though it feels like I've died & went to heaven while I am actually eating it. I think we'll see more vegans & vegitarians in our culture as time goes on, I know my family doctor is always trying to pressure me into eating less meat and more vegetables. I tried, but all that fiber doesn't make me feel so hot either.:bad:

5 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Ask yourself which came first: the Utopian idealism, or the vegan trend. One has become a very blatant manifestation of the other. The hippies I grew up with in the the 70's would chow down every burger, steak or hot dog they were offered at any sort of gathering.

• Like 2

The problem I have with Vegans is you will know they are vegan in the first 5 minutes of any conversation...lol. I get it, it is your choice how you want to eat. No need to announce it every time you turn around.  EVERY TIME they are offered anything, rather than politely saying no thank you, They come out with "No, I can't, I am Vegan".  I know it isn't all becasue the ones that just go about their business you would never know. They are like the Jehovah Witnesses of food.  

• Like 6

didn't read the article. but i take exception with your statement. I have no problem with someone who wants to eat vegan. That's their choice. Of course I don't like it if they're shoving it in my face. 

But I think as hunters we expect the same curtsy. If you're not a hunter that's fine, but don't be in my face about my right to hunt, and label me as a redneck, hillbilly or having a need to prove my manhood. In turn, I wont be in the face of a vegan for not eating meat. 

Edited by Belo
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

The problem I have with Vegans is you will know they are vegan in the first 5 minutes of any conversation...lol. I get it, it is your choice how you want to eat. No need to announce it every time you turn around.  EVERY TIME they are offered anything, rather than politely saying no thank you, They come out with "No, I can't, I am Vegan".  I know it isn't all becasue the ones that just go about their business you would never know. They are like the Jehovah Witnesses of food.  

I agree.  Gays can be like that, too.  They just have to throw it in your face that they have a "boyfriend" or "girlfriend".  Like why the hell do they need to tell me?   Many times I can guess from the get go what they are, but once they throw it in my face I just want to get away from them.  They can have gay sex until the cows come home for all I care, but please don't tell me about it!!

2 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Well Mycek is a vegan and looks like Gollum, so I have no interest in listening to her ideas on what is hot or sexy.

Yeah, she looks like she needs to eat a pork chop or two doesn't she?  She looks a bit sickly. LOL

Damn, I just realized there was a video attached to that article.  Freaking funny as hell where that talk show host is eating a steak right in front of her!  hahahaha

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Uncle Nicky said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/healthy-living/how-our-vegan-diet-made-us-ill-848322.html

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I doubt I embody many traits of "real manness" though I would like to kick Watters in the vagina so perhaps that qualifies. But whatever the cliched metric is, I probably know more "pussies and wimps" that eat burgers than those who like quiche.

Coincidentally, I ordered this the other day:

image.png.91b6e84a4895b3a13ef8ac0faeede32c.png

hey guys  just my two cents im a diabetic and i have to watch my diet  and i have added veggies MORE  to my diet im a meat hunter [ my dad use to say you cant eat antlers] and venison is the MOST healthiest meat there is.  EVEN uncle ted [ ted nugent] if you watched his show does the 80/ 20 rule that is 80% healthy and 20% junk. Yes i have see fat vegans [pizza is vegan food lol]. Carbs and anything white is a killer for me sugar flour ect.. And see being  italian  i know my carbs lol but see italians in italy dont eat like italian americans.  People from  naples are called leaf eaters. its all about balance like the chinese ying and yang thing

• Like 3

If man makes it, don't eat it.. Jack LaLanne.

tommyc ..I ate Italian food my whole life and for many years ate pizza 5 days a week in Howard Beach...I also ate all kinds of crap..Well, one day about 20  years ago  I got a blood test and had some issues so I went to more natural foods and lots of vegetables. I wouldn't eat vegetables for my whole life up until then. My mother in law used to say that I was the only Italian who didn't eat vegetables..My blood work has come out really good in recent years since I corrected all of my problems by changing diet, I break it once in a while, but am pretty strict.. I do eat some meat and quite a bit of  of fish. 

3 hours ago, left field said:

I doubt I embody many traits of "real manness" though I would like to kick Watters in the vagina so perhaps that qualifies. But whatever the cliched metric is, I probably know more "pussies and wimps" that eat burgers than those who like quiche.

Coincidentally, I ordered this the other day:

image.png.91b6e84a4895b3a13ef8ac0faeede32c.png

Somehow, that really doesn't surprise me.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rob... said:

Aren't there a few MMA fighters who are vegan? I DARE you to go call any of them including the female MMA fighters wimps or pussies! Then post up the pics of you in the ER!

OK I won't, but could I ask them what's so great about rolling around on the mat in a tight clinch with another sweaty guy wearing only their briefs???

• Like 1
  • Haha 2