What do you think is the best rifle ever made?

Hunter007

Always wanted a 99. Cool guns. I'll get one one day

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Don’t know of a more ascetically pleasing gun ever made. Most of them didn’t even have pretty wood but they sure are pretty guns. I own a handful of them including a like new 1899 takedown in 250-3000 with original case. Every one I own is more accurate than it should be. Only reason why one isn’t one of my main deer rifles is they’re heavier than I like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t know of a more ascetically pleasing gun ever made. Most of them didn’t even have pretty wood but they sure are pretty guns. I own a handful of them including a like new 1899 takedown in 250-3000 with original case. Every one I own is more accurate than it should be. Only reason why one isn’t one of my main deer rifles is they’re heavier than I like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Never even held one but always liked the way they looked and always wanted one

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

It was the R93 that had the issue, and the R8 isnt anywhere near 8 grand. Unless you are talking about their "professional hunter" or one of the other super high end damn near custom models. You can get into one for around $3500 new

That was an issue with the Canadian Ross rifle( WW I vintage)....The bolt , when disassembled , COULD be improperly reassembled to allow the bolt to blow back into the shooter's face when firing..   The rifle was discontinued and replaced by the British SMLE , but the main reason was not the safety issue, but the fact that the mechanism was so mechanically tight that the rifles tended to seize up and quit operating under sustained fire in combat situations....

I did a search on the Blaser R93 and could find nothing but  a few rumors about safety issues...There were some catastrophic failures that were credited with improper reloading, such as loading them with pistol powders rather than the proper rifle powders..Loading a rifle case full of fast burning pistol powder could make a bomb out of any rifle...

9 hours ago, Storm914 said:

Was thinking maybe it could be fixed but never got around to it .

That picture is hard to see but the wood is really nice on that stock .

Next winter when you get bored, carve it up into something useful like a soup spoon.

4 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Or may be a slingshot :)

I broke the laminated wood stock on my T/C omega about 10 years ago, and repaired it with Gorilla glue.   It has held up very well.  Apply water to one side of the broken area, Gorilla glue to the other, and clamp the parts together.  That glue hardens stronger than any wood, even laminated.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wolc123 said:

I broke the laminated wood stock on my T/C omega about 10 years ago, and repaired it with Gorilla glue.   It has held up very well.  Apply water to one side of the broken area, Gorilla glue to the other, and clamp the parts together.  That glue hardens stronger than any wood, even laminated.   

Thanks for the info  will try that .

On 3/22/2018 at 10:14 PM, wolc123 said:

I will pick two, starting with my national pick, the M1 Garand 30/06.  The German-engineered Mauser bolt-rifles were no match for John Browning's equally accurate, fast-firing semi-auto.  

The M1 "Garand" was designed by John C Garand, not John Browning.

Garand was born in Canada eh?

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, wildcat junkie said:

The M1 "Garand" was designed by John C Garand, not John Browning.

Garand was born in Canada eh?

It is cool that a Canadian made such a big contribution towards making sure his native land still speaks English.   

14 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

It is cool that a Canadian made such a big contribution towards making sure his native land still speaks English.   

Canadian ( and British) made SMLEs made a significant contribution also....There are some convincing  arguments  that the SMLE #4 rifle , many of which were manufactured at Long Branch in Ontario, was the best BOLT ACTION battle rifle ever made..

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...