What do you think is the best rifle ever made?

Hunter007

From military experience Id say the m82 Barrett 50 caliber sniper rifle. Close second m24 Remington 700 308 caliber sniper rifle. Both very lethal at long ranges. My favorite tho is my marlin 17 cal hrm with blue grey and mixed wooden stock with out the thumb hole the first model out got it in 2004. Loved shooting beer cans full of water and watching the top go like 20-30 ft in the air and go down range and see the can completely flattened.

31 minutes ago, airedale said:

The "Rifleman's Rifle" the controlled feed Winchester Model 70 Bolt Action.

I have been drooling over the tiger tail maple stocked Super Grade version for some time, I would love to own one in 264 Winchester mag.

Al

2018-03-22_193136.png

Are you saying that chuck connors shot a bolt action rifle?

16 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I'm gonna think outside the box. The best rifle is the Daisy bb gun.  It was prob the first gun most of us shot, and the first so many have used and has gotten so many people hooked on shooting sports.  It's the gateway gun.  

You’ll shoot your eye out kid

• Like 3

Steve beat me to it....I was going to say the M-98 Mauser and it's many variations, of which the CRF Winchester M70 is one of the best...

Steve was incorrect in one statement, however...There are many bolt actions which are much different than the Mauser 98,  the only similarity of some being that they are operated with a bolt, rather than a lever or some other device..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, airedale said:

The "Rifleman's Rifle" the controlled feed Winchester Model 70 Bolt Action.

I have been drooling over the tiger tail maple stocked Super Grade version for some time, I would love to own one in 264 Winchester mag.

Al

2018-03-22_193136.png

just the pre 64 models.  my favorite as well.

I will pick two, starting with my national pick, the M1 Garand 30/06.  No rifle is more responsible for most of us still speaking English in this country.  Without it, German would likely be our official language.  The German-engineered Mauser bolt-rifles were no match for John Browning's equally accurate, fast-firing semi-auto.  Most folks these days have no clue how close we came to loosing that war.

My personal pick is a Ruger M77 bolt-action, in the same caliber, for selfish reasons.  This rifle has killed and allowed our family to eat every deer that I have shot it at.   Without that "free" meat, more store-bought chicken would have been required to keep us fed.  My wife and kids might be ok with that, but I much prefer red meat.    

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Both of those follow the Ultra Light Arms Model 20.........closely though. :)  

:drinks:; too many guns out there, and fun to have options.

I might change mine and return to my Buffalo roots this being a NY forum and all....a Newton in 256 or 300

Newton designed his own actions with double set trigger, built in bases, multi lug bolt, featuring 2 designs of high velocity chamberings that smoked the competition and designed 40 years before Roy Weatherby decided to stop selling used cars and shill guns.....and all built in Buffalo for about the first 3000 units before WW1.^_^

I'd mention a 200/202 Sauer but not really being able to top load the magazine really puts hurt on what is the smoothest bolt action that I have ever worked; even better than the Jarrett.:sorry:

Edited by Dinsdale