What do you think is the best rifle ever made?

Hunter007

How about the Spencer .56-56, the first practical rim-fire, cartridge based, large bore rifle. FYI - got a lot of use in a little place called Gettysburg, for all the wrong reasons.... Started whole evolution of modern rifles. Gotta be in the top-10 along with Ralphie's BB gun and possibly the flintlock or percussion cap rifle. If you're looking for a best favorite hunting or target rifle, many good options on the market today.

3 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I'm gonna think outside the box. The best rifle is the Daisy bb gun.  It was prob the first gun most of us shot, and the first so many have used and has gotten so many people hooked on shooting sports.  It's the gateway 

or a ruger 10/22 

10 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Steve beat me to it....I was going to say the M-98 Mauser and it's many variations, of which the CRF Winchester M70 is one of the best...

Don't forget the 1903 Springfield which, up until WW I at least,  was built under license from Mauser as it was nothing more than a somewhat altered copy of the M98 design.

Edited by wildcat junkie

Model 98 Mauser.  Often copied, never improved. The model 70 is only a civilian recreation of it. Many other bolt actions (with many great designs have come along, but none offer its versatility, dependability or longevity. Still in production after 120 years. A couple of decades ago I bought a then new RUger 77 mark 2, and had to laugh at the realization that it was through and through a 98. Even Remington a few years back were selling the 98 under their name, renumbered/ named something else. 

• Like 1

This question of the best rifle ever made is getting two different interpretations and answers here, some are putting forth what they consider the best "design-platform" and others are naming an actual model of a manufacturer's rifle that has been produced and sold. 

Al

Edited by airedale

1 hour ago, Daveboone said:

Even Remington a few years back were selling the 98 under their name, renumbered/ named something else. 

Made by Zastava and marketed as the Remington 798.

Zastava made contract guns for several manufacturers, my Whitworth 458 win mag is  Zastava made.

44 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

Made by Zastava and marketed as the Remington 798.

Zastava made contract guns for several manufacturers, my Whitworth 458 win mag is  Zastava made.

M98s were manufactured under license by many countries. I have 2 VZ500 M98 actions made by Zestava in the 1960s. Many parts will interchange between all of these various My 98 actions. (extractors, triggers, safeties, shrouds, etc, etc.

As far as shear numbers and global manufacturing, the M98 Mauser was the AK47 of the 1st half of the 20th century.

Blasers are unique, but for the price of one,  I could get several perfectly fine rifles in several different calibers that will get the job done just as well.   Europeans tend to over-complicate things they make these days, and I think the Blaser is one good example of this.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

yeah they look great but i think there we issues wiht that straight bolt coming back into peoples faces - wouldnt put that one in for the GOAT. 

There should be a way to make that with out having it cost  8  grand or the bolt coming straight in your eye :)

55 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

There should be a way to make that with out having it cost  8  grand or the bolt coming straight in your eye :)

It was the R93 that had the issue, and the R8 isnt anywhere near 8 grand. Unless you are talking about their "professional hunter" or one of the other super high end damn near custom models. You can get into one for around $3500 new

33 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

yeah they look great but i think there we issues wiht that straight bolt coming back into peoples faces - wouldnt put that one in for the GOAT. 

If you load a 300 win mag with Blue Dot pistol powder, one must expect consequences.:boredom: 

Both of mine have been flawless and have had quite a few chamberings from 22Hornet to 300RUM, although down to 9 or so now and a substantial number of rounds shot.

I'd like an R8 in 458 Lott for next trip.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wildcat junkie said:

M98s were manufactured under license by many countries. I have 2 VZ500 M98 actions made by Zestava in the 1960s. Many parts will interchange between all of these various My 98 actions. (extractors, triggers, safeties, shrouds, etc, etc.

As far as shear numbers and global manufacturing, the M98 Mauser was the AK47 of the 1st half of the 20th century.

I haven't looked at any of the new Zastava's but I'm quite happy with the badged Whitworth and a NIB action I have sitting here for a project. Feeds even flat nose solids great. Just have to decide what to do with the other one; was thinking 8x68s as I have a blank barrel that would work that came as part of a package deal.

1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

It was the R93 that had the issue, and the R8 isnt anywhere near 8 grand. Unless you are talking about their "professional hunter" or one of the other super high end damn near custom models. You can get into one for around $3500 new

The Professional