Would you move from new York State to a place just for better gun laws ?

Hunter007

2 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

Ab-so-fn-lutely! 

Escaping the high taxes won't suck either.  

Between the taxes and all the regulations they are definitely driving people out of this state

.  Pretty soon will be nothing but vegans and illagels  left if they keep it up .

• Like 3

I've been bouncing this around a lot lately.The number one reason is gun laws.I bought what i think is going to be my retirement home up in the ADK and i'm pumped to get up there for good,But these gun and self defense laws suck in this state.

Tennessee is a very retirement and gun friendly state,But that's about all i know about it[never been there] i'm still reading up on it.

I'm pretty sure we will have new gun laws here in Vermont shortly.  I don't know how dramatic the changes will be, but they are coming.  I doubt any of the new legislation will have any impact on me personally.  Some of my friends are outraged, but I feel like the people (majority) have spoken and lawmakers have listened.  I'm not for new gun laws here, but I understand the current push.

Choosing a place to live is about quality of life.  Gun laws are only a small factor in the bigger puzzle for me.

• Like 2

I've traveled a bit and had thought about moving, but after checking things out  have always decided that Long Island is perfect for my lifestyle. The taxes may be a little  high, but I find that the quality of life, FOR ME, is better here.

The gun laws here have no effect on me.

• Like 1

That's part of it.

Bad gun laws are a symptom of a disease. The places that have super restrictive gun laws are usually left leaning areas that have less other personal freedoms, high taxes, high general cost of living, rising crime, etc.

I like hunting, enjoy a day at the range, etc. Guns are a hobby. It would suck that when I finally have enough free time to enjoy my hobby, the local laws would prevent it or severely restrict it. Especially if I packed up and just moved there. 

TN, NC, even southern VA look pretty appealing. WV is intriguing, good hunting, mountains, low cost of living, but wow, that's a severely depressed state.

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 2

Wow hot topic in my house lately . I’ve decided to retire May 25th, wife has been retired  for a couple years , she’d  love to,leave NYS, taxes ,regulations and so,on. But we have two daughters who,live here , and I don’t want to leave them , now if they’d move to Tennessee that would work !

Nephew lives there and my sister visits there often as well.

As it looks now we’ll go to Fla for a bit over the winter .

as much as I said I’d never live there ,looks like we’ll rent in the “ Villages “ her best friend lives there and my sister and bil just bought a there third home there .

Taxes, regulations, weather , would,be my main reasons, guns just a plus . 

• Like 1

Ha-ha-ha.....The grass always seems greener on the other side of the fence, doesn't it? Well, you can run, but you can't hide. The Feds are getting cranked up again with their national attack on the 2nd Amendment, so it may not be just state encroachment that you have to worry about. So, unless you are getting set to flee the country, relief will likely only be temporary.

I left NY many moons ago. Don't miss the high taxes and low IQ politicians one bit. Do miss the woods and fall season. That is why we come up every fall. I suppose you can encounter low IQ politicians everywhere ... so I only ended up half right! LOL

• Like 2

Everything has balance.  Lower taxes would mean more traffic and more competition for limited resources.   Gun laws make no difference to me, for I have no use for pistols and very little for semi-auto weapons  (I would miss my Ruger 10/22 a bit).    I have been to most of the lower 48, and there is no state where I would rather live, work, play, and retire than NY.  I can take the cold a lot better than the heat.  As a meat-hunter/fisher, I think NY is almost perfect, finding it relatively easy to live a substance lifestyle, satisfying nearly all of my family's protein needs, off the fat of the land and waters.   I think that would be tougher to do in Alaska, based on some of the "reality" TV shows I watch that are filmed up there.    I am very blessed to live half way between our two Great lakes, in a WMU that is grossly overpopulated with deer.  In addition, I have unlimited access to family camps in the 1000 islands and the Adirondacks.  There is no place (on Earth), where I would rather be stuck, and most of the time it seems like Heaven now.   Every time my work or family vacations takes me out of state, I can't wait to get home.   The only way I would move would be at gun point.    So, my answer to your question is certainly NO.   

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

YES

But that is just the tip of the iceberg, there is so much more than the worst gun laws in the country this state has implemented that make it suck! I ain't even going to waste my time listing the mountain of negatives this state has!

• Like 1

I have never wavered on my stance of wanting to leave NY. things are already in place for the future move, well all except for the actual move date.  At this point we have kept our life and debt at a minimum and literally at the drop of the hat and 48 hours or less we could be gone. 

While NY does offer some good hunting and I would likely still return for hunting and fishing adventures and would likely still have my charter boat for a while... but other than that I would not miss the politics and the the stacks of laws and rules geared towards ruling every aspect of a persons life or business.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, airedale said:

YES

But that is just the tip of the iceberg, there is so much more than the worst gun laws in the country this state has implemented that make it suck! I ain't even going to waste my time listing the mountain of negatives this state has!

I know, gun laws is just one of the many problems this state has as its like the Canary in the coal mine,  a  matter of fact you can use a states gun laws  As a way of telling how f up all the  other laws are .turns out  in   the   states  with the most dumb gun laws those are  the ones with the most dumb laws  and high taxes in General. :) 

My question is what gun laws specifically are you talking about, i feel some are good and some are not so good but at the same time , i dont feel you should be able to go in a gun store and just buy basically whatever u want like some southern states. There are some people for various reasons that . should not have guns. I dont feel there is any need for new laws but possibly harsher punishment for the laws on the books. At the same time there is always that one guy who is not a felon or has a history of mental issues who owns guns and is very lets say sketchy. I also think that there are laws that where just a knee jerk reaction, I always do enjoy the guy that says he needs a gun with a 20round mag and has gun behind every door for "home protection"... Really the best gun for that is your normal shot gun loaded with a bird load not sure but your average shot in a house is close very close...Kinda of a rant...no i wouldnt move just my thoughts....

• Like 1