Cabela's visit, Hamburg, PA

Bionic

Today was my girlfriend's 30th birthday, and she wanted to gi to Cabela's,  and Red Robin afterwards for dinner.  We both had never been to a Cabela's,  so we both put in for a vacation day about 6 weeks ago, and made a day trip of it.   We took the 2.5 hr 120 mile trip over, and we had a blast.  We assumed we would have to side trip over to a Red Robin, but coincidentally we were driving up the road that leads to Cabela's,  and there was a restaurant that had a red lettered sign that was difficult to read, and I said is that Red Robin?!?! And she said she could read it either, so as we are focusing on that sign, I decided to look to my left.  On our left, across the street from this illegible sign was an actual Red Robin! It was absolutely PERFECT.  We couldn't believe the coincidence.  Anyways, I figured I would share some pics.  The trip was worth it just for the taxidermy. 

imageproxy.php?img=&key=0f83455fcf3d9771imageproxy.php?img=&key=0f83455fcf3d9771

20180323_150747.jpg

20180323_141113.jpg

20180323_153533.jpg

20180323_144751.jpg

20180323_153046.jpg

20180323_152824.jpg

20180323_153044.jpg

20180323_152556.jpg

20180323_152703.jpg

20180323_152608.jpg

20180323_152322.jpg

20180323_144028.jpg

20180323_144019.jpg

20180323_143047.jpg

20180323_140606.jpg

20180323_153332.jpg

20180323_140803.jpg

20180323_141233.jpg

20180323_141316.jpg

20180323_141134.jpg

20180323_161812.jpg

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 13

29 minutes ago, rob-c said:

Reddddddd robin yummmmm. 

Cabelas and a good burger, just can’t get any better than that . And  happy birthday to the other half ....

Haha yes, i can hear the commercial now.

It was a great day.  Whiskey River BBQ Burger i believe it was called.  About 10-12 yrs ago we had a Red Robin locally in Orange County,  and I would go almost every Friday, enjoyed it that much.  Apparently the owner, was keeping more money, and mismanaged it financially,  and it closed.  Now it is some foo foo nose stuck up in the air restaurant.   Shame....so yeah, its always a treat for us.  

Thanks for the bday wish.

28 minutes ago, ny hunter said:

That store is awesome....Worth the drive even if you don't buy anything...Glad you had a good time...,

I feel that way, too.

I want to bring my dad soon.

I figured all the pics might help others decide if its worth for them to make the trip, or not.

• Like 1

the hamburg store is one of my favorites of all the cabelas stores I have been to.

on my marathon turkey scouting trip in june of 2016 we hit a few more of the cabelas stores.

farmington  utah,  lehi utah,  both fairly new stores, both decent sized stores fair number of mounts.

rapid city and mitchell south dakota, both stores were nice with mitchell south dakota being the nicer of the 2 and they had a large pond out on the property.  they also hod some phenomenal pheasant mount displays and pheasant mount displays for sale. 

sydney  nebraska,  for the "original" and the mother store we were really disappointed  the store was small, not overly clean nor stocked. and it is in the middle of nowhere, and their mounts we not very impressive  but hey they had a $83,000 bass boat for sale in front of the store. the corporate office building across the road was a decent size building.

hammond indiana   one of the larger stores with lots of mounts, live aquarium, it was clean and they did have a good fishing department.  they have quite the boat supply in house.

wheeling west virginia,  been there 4 or 5 times, decent store, mounts are ok but nowhere near some of the other stores.

hamburg pa. really nice store, phenomenal mount displays and the trophy room is always good for an hour of reading the display descriptions. the moutain you see as you walk in the store sets the tone for your visit.  the african mount display is nice.  the fishing dept. is well stocked.  we have been to the hamburg pa store 3 or 4 times as well and would not hesitate to make another trip as it is certainly one of the top stores on our list.

scarborough maine,  was passing through the area and stopped in at this store   it was ok, nothing really stood out and did not really spend a lot of time in the store. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, grampy said:

What a great day to not be at work! Looks like you guys had a nice time! World class taxidermy! And a world class burger too! We love Red Robin! So what did you take home from Cabela's? 

It was indeed, PERFECT weather too, obviously chilly, but clear skies, and no precip.  We took home each, and everyone of the pics we took, lol, did not buy anything actually.  I was VERY scared of walking into the home & cabin decor section! I have excellent self control as far as handling money,  but I was expecting incredible items for my cabin, that would be something you cannot pass up, in worry that you may not see something quite like it again.  That was not the case, nothing stood out really, few nice coffee tables,  but nothing I could not build here at home that is similar.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jdubs said:

Definitely a trip that makes all those miles behind the snow plow worth it.  Hope you both scored some nice gear. :good:

You are 100% correct, and are very observant to my posts, I appreciate that! Yes, I was due for a day trip to wind down a bit.  We did not buy anything, other than dinner next door, we are in decent shape for gear.  I just bought that quad, so I am content. xD

• Like 1

2 hours ago, reeltime said:

the hamburg store is one of my favorites of all the cabelas stores I have been to.

on my marathon turkey scouting trip in june of 2016 we hit a few more of the cabelas stores.

farmington  utah,  lehi utah,  both fairly new stores, both decent sized stores fair number of mounts.

rapid city and mitchell south dakota, both stores were nice with mitchell south dakota being the nicer of the 2 and they had a large pond out on the property.  they also hod some phenomenal pheasant mount displays and pheasant mount displays for sale. 

sydney  nebraska,  for the "original" and the mother store we were really disappointed  the store was small, not overly clean nor stocked. and it is in the middle of nowhere, and their mounts we not very impressive  but hey they had a $83,000 bass boat for sale in front of the store. the corporate office building across the road was a decent size building.

hammond indiana   one of the larger stores with lots of mounts, live aquarium, it was clean and they did have a good fishing department.  they have quite the boat supply in house.

wheeling west virginia,  been there 4 or 5 times, decent store, mounts are ok but nowhere near some of the other stores.

hamburg pa. really nice store, phenomenal mount displays and the trophy room is always good for an hour of reading the display descriptions. the moutain you see as you walk in the store sets the tone for your visit.  the african mount display is nice.  the fishing dept. is well stocked.  we have been to the hamburg pa store 3 or 4 times as well and would not hesitate to make another trip as it is certainly one of the top stores on our list.

scarborough maine,  was passing through the area and stopped in at this store   it was ok, nothing really stood out and did not really spend a lot of time in the store. 

Great info, thank you for that.  I would love to visit the west someday., as well as a cross country Canada trip.

I've never been to Cabela's myself but sure looks like a good place to go.Not only for the hunter but I bet children like going there,I will have to take the grand daughter thanks for sharing the photos.

• Like 1

Great trip. About 180 miles for us-often go for an overnight. Nice store to see and every place you could ever think of to eat. Red Robin is usually our lunch after driving down. The Microtel motel right across the road is a reasonably priced, clean place to spend the night-has a decent little bar/tavern attached.

Will

4 hours ago, Dom said:

I've never been to Cabela's myself but sure looks like a good place to go.Not only for the hunter but I bet children like going there,I will have to take the grand daughter thanks for sharing the photos.

Hey, not a problem, thats why I posted this, thats what its all about. I felt like a kid when I was checking out all the taxidermy.  I typically am uncomfortable around a lot of people honestly, but during our visit I was myself, and just enjoyed the place.

4 hours ago, Will_C said:

Great trip. About 180 miles for us-often go for an overnight. Nice store to see and every place you could ever think of to eat. Red Robin is usually our lunch after driving down. The Microtel motel right across the road is a reasonably priced, clean place to spend the night-has a decent little bar/tavern attached.

Will

That sounds like a GREAT time, red robin, and a drink, or 3 after.   I will drive for hundreds of miles,  and just deal with it, so it never crosses my mind to stay overnight nearby for a trip as such.  Good to know about the Microtel though. Thank you

The PA store is about a five hour drive for us, but is time better spent than the 3 hr drive to the Buffalo store. Buffalo is much smaller, more of a Bass Pro shop size (well, Upstate NY Basspro at any rate).  We try to combine our visits to the Hamburg store with an overnight to some nearby attactions: Valley Forge isn't far away, Philadephia offers a lot...including an awesome zoo, and there is the coal mining destinations to check out.

Neat, thats another place I haven't been too is Basspro....although fishing doesn't interest ne much.  Unless, its with my dad, and we bring meatballs, and sausage and peppers, with club rolls, for a stream side lunch, and make a day of it!