Cabin Fever?

Doc

Do deer get a bit wacky this time of year? I plowed a wide strip across the lawn from the barn to the driveway, and it forms a small food plot of exposed lawn grass in the middle of my yard that is attracting six deer. The sixth deer, a rather small runt was trying to join the other 5 in the feast and was being driven off by one ill-tempered deer in the bunch. Every time it started to get close this bully would take off with head lowered in what looked like some kind of combat posture that sent the little guy fleeing. That happened about 3 times while I was watching. I'm not sure what would have happened if they actually came in contact. I'm assuming the bully was a big old doe because she had a fawn staying close with her.

The last time she ran the other one off, she stood there and raised her head with her nose pointed straight up to the sky as if trying to catch a scent or something. It was a very menacing-looking gesture, and I have no idea what it meant in deer body language. I really didn't understand what any of the aggressive behavior was all about, but it did not have a playful look to it.

Then there was another thing that I saw a bunch of years ago over by Honeoye at almost exactly this same time of year and almost the same kind of lingering winter weather conditions where it looked like two deer were having a fist fight. They both were standing on their hind legs, standing straight up, punching at each other with their front feet, and it looked like they were making contact.

What gets into these critters when winter hangs on like this? Is it some form of cabin fever or something?

I have seen that behavior a few times in the Adirondacks, during the late winter, around establishments where the owners dumped little piles of corn from a bucket to feed the deer.   It always seems to be the does that are the most aggressive.   They are much more territorial than bucks are.   Even at home in WNY, the dominant does rule the roost year-round, always picking out the spots for their own family groups, which offer the best combination of comfort, security and food.  Bucks and other less-intimidating doe groups are left with the "sloppy seconds".   

It is not just a late-winter behavior.   One time at home in mid-September, during a combo fishing/early goose hunt, I got to experience one of those aggressive doe attacks first-hand.  It was pretty intense.  I was wearing camo coveralls, that had been hanging in the barn for about a year, and holding a shotgun in one hand and a fishing rod in the other.  Clearly, the doe had no idea what I was, and must have thought I was another deer.  The coveralls must have completely masked my scent.  

It was an extremely hot afternoon and as I neared the pond, I noted the doe and a fawn cooling themselves in the shallow water.   When she saw me, she immediately charged to within inches, snorting and prancing all around me.   She continued this behavior as I walked over to the bank and sat down.  The fawn got out of the water and just stood on the opposite bank watching the performance.    I tried to ignore it, put down the gun, and started casting (there were no geese back there that time).  On my second cast, I hooked into a big bass, and it began to thrash around on the surface.  That must have finally clued her in that I was not to be messed with, and she and the fawn high-tailed it into thick cover.   

Edited by wolc123

I've seen does fight like that quit a few times.Does live in family groups [mother,daughter,sister,ect] they comingle during times of plenty,but get territorial during hardtimes.When i nuisance hunted over bait i would see the older does get into it while the others watched.