6 minutes ago, left field said:

it takes to say that on a forum.

Not really. Socially liberal. Outside of kids, animals and perhaps close relatives, I really don't care who you sleep with. And you want to marry said non-kid, animal or relative? Knock yourself out. Past that, I'm pretty sure I skew conservative. 

But those labels are so mind-numbingly limiting I don't use them. But if they help you, enjoy.

How does that Twain quote go?

“When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.”

It comes with the territory of being a kid. I can't imagine what comes with the territory of watching 17 of your fellow students gunned down at school. So some kids filled with piss and vinegar want to scream at the world after an afternoon of carnage? That seems fair to me. 

They have every right to "scream at the world". That's why we have the First Amendment, which they would also like to get rid of BTW. Like I've said, thes kids aren't necessarily bright. My point is that serious people should not listen to them because, for the most part, they're being stupid and unreasonable.

I understand they are traumatized by what happened. I was severely beaten in a mugging/robbery 20 years ago. That doesn't qualify me as someone to make recommendations on the legislation of additional assault laws.

• Like 1

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, Elmo said:

When I was 17 I thought I knew everything.  Then I turned 25.  I realized I was so dumb back when I was 17 but now at 25 I know everything.  Then I turned 35.  I realized I was so dumb back when I was 25 but now I know everything.  Now that I'm over 40 I know that I don't know anything at all.

Wait another 20 years, Elmo. Not only will you still not know anything you'll go out of your way to prove it to everyone you meet.

image.png.1f30f7982d717842fa4fe3fde6136e1b.png

Edited by left field
  • Like 1

I think the reason people attack these kids personally, has to do with the fact they have ordained themselves 2nd Amendment experts, which adult anti-gun fanatics support, when it is very obvious they don't know the first thing about it, individual rights, or any of the Constitution for that matter.

I can understand their initial desire to speak out, but after you've been factually schooled on how little you understand, and they have been, if you persist, you earn personal attacks.  Nobody wants the galactically stupid influencing an individual right they choose to responsibly exercise.

• Like 2

"Galactically stupid" is a good expression. I may steal that.

If you want to debate a kid, go for it. Not sure if it's much of an accomplishment. But none of this warrants a personal attack. If you can't out-debate a kid and have to resort to personal insults, then you shouldn't be on the stage.

I understand what internet bravado is and was more or less ignoring it all until the Ingraham comment. A broadcaster using her position to mock a kid personally because she disagrees with his politics is a little beyond. I would have fired her for that and doubly fired her after the mealy-mouthed apology. 

It was galactically stupid.

Edited by left field

1 hour ago, left field said:

Wait another 20 years, Elmo. Not only will you still not know anything you'll go out of your way to prove it to everyone you meet.

image.png.1f30f7982d717842fa4fe3fde6136e1b.png

It's not just about "knowing" things, it's about understanding things. And about how they all work together.

• Like 1

When I was 18 yo I very quickly learned just about everything involved with framing houses. I worked on hundreds of them. It was my job and I'm a fast learner. But I quickly realized that I knew nothing about being an actual house builder. That took many, many more years of seeing how all of the different trades and disciplines interacted and how they needed to be coordinated. Kids don't understand that complexity. They think that all one needs to build a house is a saw and a hammer, without understanding the complexity behind it. Fine for a fort in the woods, I guess, but not so great as a basis for governance. It's not just the kids either. I'd be willing to bet not many of their parents have any knowledge of The Constitution.

I'm not an "angry old man". I've just been around long enough to know how to look at bigger pictures when confronted with big problems. Now, get the he!! off my lawn. ;-]

• Like 3

2 hours ago, left field said:

So you believe he is being used but still, you want to attack him in person? The courage it takes to say that on a forum.

Not really. Socially liberal. Outside of kids, animals and perhaps close relatives, I really don't care who you sleep with. And you want to marry said non-kid, animal or relative? Knock yourself out. Past that, I'm pretty sure I skew conservative. 

But those labels are so mind-numbingly limiting I don't use them. But if they help you, enjoy.

“When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.”

It comes with the territory of being a kid. I can't imagine what comes with the territory of watching 17 of your fellow students gunned down at school. So some kids filled with piss and vinegar want to scream at the world after an afternoon of carnage? That seems fair to me. 

2 hours ago, left field said:

So you believe he is being used but still, you want to attack him in person? The courage it takes to say that on a forum.

Classic Downtown Upneck response from you. Should have anticipated that.

• Like 1

I was referring to myself.

Interesting that you reference a fort in the woods. I have a show about a Catskills' woodsman and as a closing line, he says "if you and I were 12 year-old-boys we wouldn't be talking about any of this stuff (politics), we would grab a hatchet and be out in the woods building a fort. The spirit of the woods isn't ancient, it's young."

So here's to the misguided, more balls than brains, confused, deluded, passionate and wild kids. I wish I still was one. 

@greg54 Thanks for the intelligent and well-reasoned contribution to the discussion.

1 hour ago, left field said:

Interesting that you reference a fort in the woods. I have a show about a Catskills' woodsman and as a closing line, he says "if you and I were 12 year-old-boys we wouldn't be talking about any of this stuff (politics), we would grab a hatchet and be out in the woods building a fort. The spirit of the woods isn't ancient, it's young."

So here's to the misguided, more balls than brains, confused, deluded, passionate and wild kids. I wish I still was one. 

@greg54 Thanks for the intelligent and well-reasoned contribution to the discussion.

YW...Carry on Upneck

Edited by greg54
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, left field said:

You and I can't be 12 yo forever. Eventually adult decisions are required. That's my point. These children (David Hogg) are not adults capable of making adult decisions.

• Like 3

They're not making adult decisions in so far as their opinions have no bearing on anything. They're just kids who are saying "holy shit, that weird kid just walked into school and killed 17 of us." It's not much of a stretch for the next words out of their mouths after "please don't shoot me" to be "guns bad." 

22 minutes ago, left field said:

They're not making adult decisions in so far as their opinions have no bearing on anything. They're just kids who are saying "holy shit, that weird kid just walked into school and killed 17 of us." It's not much of a stretch for the next words out of their mouths after "please don't shoot me" to be "guns bad." 

A smart kid living in the real world would be pissed at the government agencies that failed to protect them, while wishing they could've been shooting back.

These youth actually believe the world can be a safe place where nobody ever wants to hurt you.  They also think the government will protect them by taking guns from everyone, without ever realizing it was that same government that didn't protect them, and doesn't have the ability, or desire, to do so.

They should've learned from this experience that is a fantasy world they need to escape from.

The smart kids who don't agree with these gun grabbing youth, have been silenced, ignored and ostracized in the schools and the media.  That proves real intellectual dialog towards solving the problem is not the goal, it's the enemy of the agenda.

Edited by Rattler

33 minutes ago, left field said:

They're being used by adults in decision-making positions to influence other adults in voting positions through emotional persuasion. That's the long and short of this whole thing. If you ignore that fact, you're being blind to reality. David Hogg's mouth is moving, but Chuck Schumer's thoughts and words are coming out. Stupid, gullible, easily manipulated, naive...

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, left field said:

Another winner! Your are correct! They are being influenced by adults who IMO, don't know $&*^ about guns or hunting! They are following social media to be "cool" or "fit in". Sheep follow the sheep herder. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, left field said:

If that's the case then go after Schumer or the other adults in the room. Picking on the way this kid looks or his GPA or any of the other asshole comments that have been made everywhere is swinging at the low hanging fruit. 

No, we need to go after the extreme leftists, who allow pedophiles to roam the streets, drug dealers to just go about their day to day, human traffickers to do what they do, illegal gun dealers to sell guns, and moron fake accounts to run rampart on this site!

:fuck:

12 hours ago, left field said:

Actually Mr. Hogg and his handlers are directly campaigning to ruin Laura Ingraham's career because she tweeted out something that was deemed 'insensitive'. She has since apologized because it was kind of a dumb thing for her to say, but don't tell me these children have no bearing on anything when they are capable of ruining the life and career of someone they personally disagree with. That's a very dangerous road to take.

• Like 4

Sometimes it appears that this new generation is being influenced by the older generation of Hippies . They think that we should just drink , smoke pot , sing Kumbaya and there will be Peace on Earth . 

Hogg is a puppet and nothing more than a media whore ! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, fasteddie said:

Sometimes it appears that this new generation is being influenced by the older generation of Hippies . They think that we should just drink , smoke pot , sing Kumbaya and there will be Peace on Earth . 

Your correct.  Children like Hogg's grandparents most likely are from the 1960's which gave rise to drug use, civil disobedience and their hatred towards the members of the military.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fasteddie said:

Hogg is a puppet and nothing more than a media whore ! 

...fully supported by the far left, of course, because he currently serves their purpose. It's sad that people don't understand that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, philoshop said:

Actually Mr. Hogg and his handlers are directly campaigning to ruin Laura Ingraham's career because she tweeted out something that was deemed 'insensitive'. She has since apologized because it was kind of a dumb thing for her to say, but don't tell me these children have no bearing on anything when they are capable of ruining the life and career of someone they personally disagree with. That's a very dangerous road to take.

He and his family receive death threats as a result of people like Ingram pushing fake news and attempting to smear him and you are ok with that but when he turns the tables it’s no good. Got it. 

Maybe instead of continually giving these kids a stage to speak on some one should refocus on what actually happened and how the system failed to do its job unilaterally across the board. Government at its finest, make laws and don’t enforce them and then blame the guns and make more laws.