Who deer hunts with a lever action what are some of the best ones out there and in what caliber .

Hunter007

3 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

deer habitat varies from open fields to thick cover you can barely bowhunt. the BLR's are nice if i was to pick one though it'd be a winchester model 94 30-30. that gun has killed some deer.

yup got one of those too lol - my first deer rifle was a winchester model 94 30/30.  First year they came out with the angle eject.  It will and has killed some deer.  

My woods are thick. I use a 45-70. Bear are becoming common good out to 250 yards if need be. But my shots are usually 50 and under. Think of it as a multiple shot muzzleloader..45 cal bullet and 70.grains of powder. Originally designed to shoot through 2 in of solid oak and kill person on other side .they do make larger 45's  45- 90,  And 45 -120

bonus is they are rimmed rifle and legal in Ohio should you go there for so.e reason

And will kill efficiently any game in North America.. actually lifted an elk off the ground and slammed it to the ground. 

• Like 1

I don’t own one yet but it’s on my list. 

.325, .358 or 35

Browning as a first choice and Marlin second. Marlin doesn’t offer the 325 or 358, only 35 and other less appealing calibers (to me). 

Im going to get an aperature sight installed and for go the scope. Won’t need it for what I want. 

The best one in my opinion is a savage 99 followed closely by a Ruger 96/44, blr’s are good but never warmed up to them. Marlins are solid but heavier than they should have been and the current ones leave a lot to be desired. Older Winchester’s are solid but not being able to mount a proper scope is a downfall to many. The Henry’s I have owned/shot have been very nice but heavier than needed. I have had great luck with a couple Rossi’s but have heard enough bad about them that I couldn’t recommend one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Marlin 336c in .30-.30.
Take it with me where shots are limited to 100 or less.....very compact and easy shoulder. Recoil is very minimal as well. My wife dropped a nice doe with the .30-.30 at about 70 yards a few years ago and has since taken ownership anytime we hunt together.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I have a Marlin in 30-30 and a Winchester model 94 in 44 Mag.  Love them both but for all around I would go with a 35 if the weight does not bother you.  For me the model 94 in 44 Mag is like a BB gun and is the perfect fit for tracking, stalking and up close hunting and long hikes, no sling needed.  

• Like 2