Who deer hunts with a lever action what are some of the best ones out there and in what caliber .

Hunter007

13 hours ago, mike103 said:

I love lever actions having grown up watching cowboy movies all my life. And I have a nice little collection of 9 different ones. Some real different calibers such as 356 win.

But I have never hunted with one. Never even brought one in the woods.

I’m a Remington guy. Years ago it was 742’s and 7400’s. But since 2004 it’s mostly 7600’s in 35 Rem and 35 Whelen. 

But I do have a 750 Rem in 35 Whelen that has taken a nice 8 tracking in snow. Might get the nod again this year.

I started off with a 336. I bought a 7600 in a 35 Whelen and the gun just never felt right to me. I did kill a couple deer with it. I ended up selling it an picking up a guide gun. I must have short arms because the Marlin's just fit me better. The 7600 always felt very long and awkward to me.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2018 at 6:28 AM, Mountain Hunter said:

I started off with a 336. I bought a 7600 in a 35 Whelen and the gun just never felt right to me. I did kill a couple deer with it. I ended up selling it an picking up a guide gun. I must have short arms because the Marlin's just fit me better. The 7600 always felt very long and awkward to me.

I guess it’s hard to change from what we are used to. I started with 870’s and a 742 went to 1100’s and 7600’s. 

They just feel right.

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, nosquibs said:

I have an old Winchester made Sears 30-30 that I shoot 177 grain cast lead with, unfortunately I swapped out the original sites for some glow sites and now can't get it hit the POA. I'm going to try a Henry .357 this year if the weather is decent.

I am thinking about changing out the stock sites on my Remlin 336BL with the glow sites from my T/C Omega ML.  That has a good Redfield scope on it, so I don't use them.   The Remlin is a nice handling lever gun, but I am not overly fond of the stock iron sites.   If those don't work, there is another cheap Chinese set of fiber-optics on a Marksman pellet rifle that I bought for my daughter last year.  That also came with a cheap scope, which is on it now, so they also are no longer needed. Those fiber-optic "glow" ones would be a lot better in low-light situations of the deep woods.     I will not do the swap this season, since I am already sited in wit the stock iron sites, but it sounds like it might be a nice project for the off-season.  Both the T/C and Marksman fiber optics look pretty robust compared to the Remlin iron sites, and should take some abuse and hold their POA.   

I've always loved my dad's '54 336RC in 35 Rem. It's one of my most cherished connections to him since he passed. A lot of deer found their final resting place in our freezer because of that gun.

Since I was a youngin', I've always coveted a savage 99 in 250-3000. A few days ago I won an auction on GB for my first 99, a '50 99R in 300 Savage. It is a very clean example with a factory original Redfield receiver site. I should have it in my hands in about a week or so. I already ordered ammo for it and hopefully, I'll have time to get it cleaned up and sorted out so I can carry it a few days this deer season.

I still have my eyes out for a nice 250-3000.

Edited by eaglemountainman
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I know I need to find a nice lever action gun. The 4570 Henry I won is way too nice to take out on a less than ideal day. unless its a beautiful day. It stays indoors lol. But what a sweet smooth shooting gun. Kicks like a 22 cal. Light and short. I was offered 2k offer on the spot when I won it. Politely turned it down..  

I was thinking a newer not as nice 44mag, 444 or 35 Rem. 

20160918_091531.jpg

• Like 4

I have no lever actions. Never wanted one until a few years ago. 

A small group of us got together and decided to drive a large patch of buckthorn. As a driver I was loaned a Winchester in 444 marlin. My 44 mag sbh would have been useless. Located on the outside edge of the drive a decent 7 pt tried to double back and escape on my side .  All happened very fast but I managed to shoulder the gun as I was pivoting. Buck jumped a brush pile as I centered the sights on his body hard quartering away. Pulled the trigger and folded him up in a heap drt. 

Pretty impressed with the gun and the caliber. If I could find a decent deal on a 444 marlin I would jump on it . Preferably  non safety as I'm a lefty. Oh and not ported . The Winchester I used was ported  and if was freaking loud. 

I have also toyed with the idea of a lever gun chambered in 44mag.

• Like 1

I've got a marlin 30-30. It's the only gun I've never got a deer with. I went a shot it last night and I'm all over the place at 100 yards. All with in the target. But either high,low,left,righ. Each shot isn't the same. Gun was in a vise. Very frustrating, guess I need a new scope

AHHH just for the record the 30-30 has put more venison on the table than any other round(probably).

For short range (150 yards) you can't beat it. Even to 200 if you know the drop. 44 magnum in winchester 94 will do it good to 100 yards if you are in real heavy brush .I'd stick with the 30-30. If you anticipate longer than 150 to 200 lever actions are not the best choice. The tube magazine affects accuracy. They are not known for tight groups. I own 2 Marlins in 30-30 and a Winchester 44 magnum(I shoot all 3 off hand). I love them. Might get a 45.70 too.

• 2 months later...

My local Legion post just put up a Henry Long Ranger for raffle...First time I have seen one close up...It's a beautiful  blued and walnut rifle, and I was impressed...If I ever went with a lever action that would be it...The one at the Legion is  in .308, but they also chamber it in 6.5 Creed... I'm gonna buy 5 tickets a week....

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

My local Legion post just put up a Henry Long Ranger for raffle...First time I have seen one close up...It's a beautiful  blued and walnut rifle, and I was impressed...If I ever went with a lever action that would be it...The one at the Legion is  in .308, but they also chamber it in 6.5 Creed... I'm gonna buy 5 tickets a week....

They are really beautiful guns. And super smooth. Id love another dozen or so lol

I was thinking of the henry lever 410 and thread it for turkey chokes for my TSS loads. dont see levers in the turkey woods often lol 

Edited by LET EM GROW

22 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

They make a nice, accurate and beautiful rifle!

• Like 1

Lever actions never really appealed to me, but the biggest negative that would keep me from ever buying a Henry is the way you load it.  Why couldn't they have made it similar to a Marlin or Winchester where you load it from the receiver?  I never liked .22's  that you had to load via the tube and surely wouldn't want to load a more potent rifle that way either.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Lever actions never really appealed to me, but the biggest negative that would keep me from ever buying a Henry is the way you load it.  Why couldn't they have made it similar to a Marlin or Winchester where you load it from the receiver?  I never liked .22's  that you had to load via the tube and surely wouldn't want to load a more potent rifle that way either.

The Long Ranger has a detachable box...A nice ALL STEEL  flush fitting detachable box, instead of a plastic POS...

I agree with you on the  tube loading Henrys....I never cared for that feature either.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

The Long Ranger has a detachable box...A nice ALL STEEL  flush fitting detachable box, instead of a plastic POS...

I agree with you on the  tube loading Henrys....I never cared for that feature either.

Thanks for the clarification, Pygmy.  Yes, something with a detachable magazine is a BIG step in the right direction.  I was referring to the better known Henry's like the one pictured in a post above in the more familiar lever action calibers like .30-30, .35 Rem and .45-70.

25 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Retail is about 1500. I have seen them on sale as low as 1,100. You should have taken the 2k...lol

I considered it, but it was the first gun ive ever won in the many years of trying. And My dad was supposed to be present, but he passed recently before so it was some sentimental feeling that made me keep it. Won a browning x bolt, and a ton of hunting gear that night as well. lol. It Was a wonderful night to say the least

• Like 2

Just now, left field said:

Yet they continually get dinged by people who people who call them ugly. I'm not sophisticated enough to say why.

I have owned a few high-ish end guns and I think the Henry which was much cheaper compares pretty favorably in looks, quality and precision.  Maybe I got lucky but I have been impressed.

• Like 1

Thanks for the clarification, Pygmy.  Yes, something with a detachable magazine is a BIG step in the right direction.  I was referring to the better known Henry's like the one pictured in a post above in the more familiar lever action calibers like .30-30, .35 Rem and .45-70.

Many, myself included prefer the tube loading. Makes loading and unloading far easier and faster.

Henry has never made a 35rem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk