Who deer hunts with a lever action what are some of the best ones out there and in what caliber .

Hunter007

4 hours ago, left field said:

Yet they continually get dinged by people who people who call them ugly. I'm not sophisticated enough to say why.

Talk about UGLY !!  Nothing is as ugly as a TC Encore..!!  Except for MOOG's Encore of course, which is BEAUTIFUL !!

I think about how lovely it is every time I take a bite of this season's venison !!….

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Talk about UGLY !!  Nothing is as ugly as a TC Encore..!!  Except for MOOG's Encore of course, which is BEAUTIFUL !!

I think about how lovely it is every time I take a bite of this season's venison !!….

2 shots 2 dead deer - seemed to work darn good for you.  Next year you need to shoot a black gun!  Slow conversion.

5 hours ago, steve863 said:

Lever actions never really appealed to me, but the biggest negative that would keep me from ever buying a Henry is the way you load it.  Why couldn't they have made it similar to a Marlin or Winchester where you load it from the receiver?  I never liked .22's  that you had to load via the tube and surely wouldn't want to load a more potent rifle that way either.

I don't get why they don't sell both designs, why  limit themselves to just  tube loading designs .

8 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Hey hey now. I know mine is as heavy as a V8 engine with the laminate stocks you don't like but it ain't that bad. 

8 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Hey hey now. I know mine is as heavy as a V8 engine with the laminate stocks you don't like but it ain't that bad. 

Actually, Bob,  I am a fan of laminate stocks...They are made of wood and some of them are very attractive, IMHO...

My Model 70  Lightweight  .280 has a laminate stock and I think it is very pretty.Not as pretty as a nice piece of walnut, but much prettier than a piece of Tupperware..

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Actually, Bob,  I am a fan of laminate stocks...They are made of wood and some of them are very attractive, IMHO...

My Model 70  Lightweight  .280 has a laminate stock and I think it is very pretty.Not as pretty as a nice piece of walnut, but much prettier than a piece of Tupperware..

I am seeing quite a few guys on the TC forums are actually filling the tupperware stocks with spray foam. not much weight add but gets rid of that hollow noise that happens whenever anything hits them. A guy gave me a set to use with the ladies on the field to fork program because they were much lighter than mine. They worked good but I couldn't believe the noise when a branch hit them while we were walking. Sounded like a base drum

42 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Talk about UGLY !!  Nothing is as ugly as a TC Encore..!!

I felt the same way for a long time but the Encores and Contenders have a way of making you like them and like them a lot once you get to mess with one. They are shooters, "really good shooters" and for me even though they are not very appealing visually I am hooked on their performance.

Remember Jimmy Soul back in the early 60s and his number one recording "If You Want To Be Happy For The Rest Of Your Life"?

There is something to be said for endearing qualities LOL!:yes:

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

I sure do remember that song, Al, and I appreciate the message....

Reminds me of one of old girlfriends...She was so ugly that if you looked up  the word " UGLY" in the dictionary, they had her picture in there..

But she sure could "COOK"...

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Pygmy said:

14 hours ago, moog5050 said:

2 shots 2 dead deer - seemed to work darn good for you.  Next year you need to shoot a black gun!  Slow conversion.

i think my TC is one of my better looking guns!  Shes a looker and a shooter! 

Muzzleloader deer '18.jpg

• 6 months later...

Can't go wrong with a lever action in the northeast. Out to 150 yards(even 200/LeverEvolution) the 30-30 works great. Marlin,Winchester,Henry,Uberti. They are not as accurate as bolt rifles but good enough for short range work. 45-70 nice for short range too. 

Edited by Vinootz

5 hours ago, Rattler said:

I see Henry is now offering a fine looking lever gun with a side loading gate.  It's about time too.  It's even available in .35 Remington.  Nice brass action and straight stock lever gun.

It's also being offered in 38-55, which  is appealing to nostalgia buffs like yours truly...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
I see Henry is now offering a fine looking lever gun with a side loading gate.  It's about time too.  It's even available in .35 Remington.  Nice brass action and straight stock lever gun.

Love my .35 rem. Puts a serious hurt on the deer without putting one in my shoulder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

My go to rifle is a Marlin 336 30-30 with a Williams FP iron sight setting on top. Depending on the day I may use the Marlin 1895G in 45-70 with a leupold scout and XS iron sights on it. I also use a Henry .44 mag with a Skinner sight on the barrel. I just like lever guns and prefer them over most rifles.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, eaglemountainman said:

Just got back from a pronghorn hunt in Wyoming. Used a '56 Savage 99F in 308 Win, with vintage K4 B-60 glass, to tag a very nice buck at 286. I'd post up some pics, but my guide is incommunicado at a wilderness elk camp for at least a few weeks, and so, can't text them to me.

Looking forward to the pictures...I didn't realize that Savage was chambering the .308 in the 99 in 1956...That was a pretty new chambering then...

18 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Looking forward to the pictures...I didn't realize that Savage was chambering the .308 in the 99 in 1956...That was a pretty new chambering then...

They started chambering the Winchester calibers, 243, 308 and 358 in '56, in the R, RS and new F model which was introduced in '55, but initially only chambered in 250 and 300 Savage.

Pictures to come, hopefully, as soon as my guide can get a cell signal. Stay tuned...

• Like 1

On 10/17/2019 at 12:11 PM, eaglemountainman said:

Just got back from a pronghorn hunt in Wyoming. Used a '56 Savage 99F in 308 Win, with vintage K4 B-60 glass, to tag a very nice buck at 286.

Congratulations, love seeing the old proven Savage 99 still knocking em dead! Many would not think of a lever rifle being used for longer range hunting but those 99s will lay them in there pretty good.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, airedale said:

Congratulations, love seeing the old proven Savage 99 still knocking em dead! Many would not think of a lever rifle being used for longer range hunting but those 99s will lay them in there pretty good.

Al

Thanks, Al. I was very confident in that particular 99F out to 350, though I much prefer not to shoot game beyond 300. That goat was getting mighty close to the limit. 

This past summer I spent three days in Pa. with a group of Savage 1895/1899/99 collectors. There were all kinds of variants present, and I got to shoot quite a few of them or witness them being shot. I don't recall a single one that didn't impress me with it's accuracy.

Edited by eaglemountainman
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

A Marlin 336 in .25-35 Win.,  Hornady Flex Tip bullet., lots of fun, easy on the shoulder, and turns coyotes into fur collars.

Not recommended for Deer, but in the hands of a capable marksman who knows the limitations and acts prudently, the 

25-35 Win., will perform just fine. 125 yards, that's the limit.

Edited by LongWayFromHome