For us Old Guys

fasteddie

I was out checking Trail Cams this week . I was considering moving stands later and maybe buying a couple more . When I got home , I was in the basement later and checked the peg board in my hunting part of the basement looking at a lot of the stuff that I had collected over the years and never used . I even have hunting clothes that I don't wear . 

A thought came to mind . I will be 77 this coming deer season . I started to wonder , how many more years could I keep up the hunting ? As long as I can draw the bow , climb a ladder stand , drag a deer and walk a couple miles , I will keep it up . It gets me up off my lazy butt and gives me some exercise .

I doubt if there is any member older than me but how or when do you determine when to call it quits ?  When do you decide that you have enough hunting gear and don't need any more ? 

• Like 3

After a health issue last year, I asked myself this same question. The answer I found, in the eyes of my grandson and my lifelong hunting partner. As long as they hunt, so will I. I'm still acquiring hunting "stuff" at 61. Most all of it will be passed down or given away, to complete the circle for me. Though I've lost a step, and slowed down a bit in the woods, I don't consider that a bad thing. As now I savor each hunt and experience, much more than I did in my prime. As long as I can roll out of bed, to put on my boots, I'll be heading out. Even if it's just to sit there and smile.

• Like 7

Fastedie, I have you beat buy a few months,and have had copd for some time now.I only hunt my own property , just enough for me. I have not used any kind of stand for years , only hunt from ground blinds made from down trees and brush.they are spread out over different parts of my property and are there year round ( deer are used to them).I get to them with my atv ( which does not seem too spook them at all) And if I get anything I go back to my house and get my front loader tractor and bring it back with that to load on my pickup and take it to be processed. If you make things easier for yourself no reason to stop hunting at our age.  

• Like 2

When in camp this past Oct. I extended an offer to a 74 year old fellow who had never shot a game animal before to come along on a walk and he got his first ever in Africa with my rifle. Was great fun, made a nice shot too!

I think hes hooked. He's still racing cars and flying; so he needs a new hobby IMO.

• Like 3

59, and I have no,idea . I’ve just moved from hang ons to ladders and huts, well I,kept one LW hang on and sticks, in case I need to set up in a different spot fast .

Almost all my bow hunting is alone, and I like that , just me walking in and out with a bow , just me to track and drag, I enjoy the solitude, and I don’t need help thank you very much .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grampy said:

After a health issue last year, I asked myself this same question. The answer I found, in the eyes of my grandson and my lifelong hunting partner. As long as they hunt, so will I. I'm still acquiring hunting "stuff" at 61. Most all of it will be passed down or given away, to complete the circle for me. Though I've lost a step, and slowed down a bit in the woods, I don't consider that a bad thing. As now I savor each hunt and experience, much more than I did in my prime. As long as I can roll out of bed, to put on my boots, I'll be heading out. Even if it's just to sit there and smile.

If you have lost a step, you must have started 3 steps ahead of everyone else Dave!  You almost closed the deal on that buck from the ground in the wide open (well except all the downed branches you carefully and quietly maneuvered through).  It was awesome to watch.  Talk about being cool as a cucumber.

"old age and treachery always overcome youth and skill" 

got a hunting buddy that is 70. Sends me pics of his deer every year and tells me he doesnt know if he can keep dragging them out.  Always tell him i will be glad to come help even though I am 2 hours away.  But he is stubborn and brings them out.  I would be too i am sure.  But being stubborn still gets him out there.  His deer from last year!

rps20180329_141855.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 9

28 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

"old age and treachery always overcome youth and skill" 

got a hunting buddy that is 70. Sends me pics of his deer every year and tells me he doesnt know if he can keep dragging them out.  Always tell him i will be glad to come help even though I am 2 hours away.  But he is stubborn and brings them out.  I would be too i am sure.  But being stubborn still gets him out there.  His deer from last year!

rps20180329_141855.jpg

Now those are brow tines!

Eddie -

If you are 77, who's the young guy in your photo?

My father is 84 and he still shoots a deer every year, at least one. His hands don't work well so someone is always around to dress it and help him get it out. The UTV is also his during deer season. My 62 year old legs still work. It the 62 year old brain that's the problem.

• Like 2

Will hit the big Seven O this fall, as long as I am physically able I will continue to hunt, there is no doubt that I have slowed down a lot from when I was a young buck. I make a concerted effort to  keep my weight under control and to stay fit enough so I can get in the woods among other things that require condition. As of now I can get along pretty well, dragged out the smallish 115 lb Deer I took last fall by myself with no problem, something bigger would have made me take it a little easier and would have taken more time to get things done.

My favorite hunting has always been with dogs but Coon hunting days are pretty much over, following dogs at night through swamps and woods for hours and miles at times would be tough at this stage of the game. Most of the time I was by myself and you never know for sure where you are going to end up and if I happened to keel over and drop dead it may be tough to find and recover my old carcass. Sometimes I wish I was out in one of the western states where they ride mules when they hunt Coon. I still can get out and follow my bird hunting dogs without too much problem, a big plus.

I do know that taking game is not so important to me as it once was, when a young guy if I did not limit out be it hunting or fishing that day was a bust. These days I think with a totally different perspective and admittedly  have become a bit soft in my old age.  Many times I have a critter in my crosshairs and do not pull the trigger and let them walk, in my mind they were as good as dead and on that particular day that was good enough for me as I just enjoy being out there. And then there are days when get the yen for some game meat, have the same type of scenario happen and I say as I draw down "kiss your ass goodbye" and dump whatever where it stands.

As for hunting equipment it is part of the whole hunting picture and there seems to always be something that catches my fancy that I would like to try even though I have everything I need.  New firearms and their accessories are my Achilles heel and I am still a buyer.

When involved with a sport like hunting a whole lifetime and have to actually come to the point of calling it quits would suck big time and be depressing as Hell when Fall rolled around.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 3

I just reached the grand old age of 60 myself. Still feel young in mind and body. But still can't believe 60 years went by that fast. One secret is to have a mix of friends that are older and younger than yourself. The younger ones keep you fit by trying to keep up and the older keep you from over doing it. I just booked a sheep and grizzly hunt in the Yukon for 2019, so mind & body are still telling me to go for it! 

• Like 3

I dont really care if i go out or not and I'm only 47. The only.spark I get is setting someone up to get a deer or turkey..  I can kill a deer like clockwork and really.dont find It challenging.  I get no rush seeing I big buck the body just goes into automatic. Next thing I know I have to field dress and take it to get processed or take to taxidermist.  Does are an ok I want meat target.. I wish I felt like I did when I was in my 20s and saw deer. My 70 year old hunting partner and I spend more time scouting out the local cuisine. 

I have more fun just being at camp.and enjoy the comroderie hunting act itself.has become secondary I don't think age has anything to do with it.

• Like 2