For us Old Guys

fasteddie

Keep hunting every time out as if it might be your last! Nothing good comes from agonizing over if it's time to throw in the towel, your body dictates that for you! Even if your're getting fewer hunts then in the past, shorter sits or even fewer sightings - continue as long as you are able.

I don't expect to quit hunting for some time . As soon as deer season is over , I am anxious for the next season . I remember when I had a partial knee surgery that the surgeon said no more ladders . I said " how in hell do you think I am going to get in my stands without a ladder" ? He just shook his head . 

I have given a lot of my hunting surplus to my sons that hunt . I was thinking of selling some of my other surplus on CraigsList to local folks . I just have to get rid of the obsession of buying hunting gear just because it's on sale or clearance . 

My father in law got me started deer hunting in 1965 . We hunted together for about 5 years and he quit . I hunted a couple more years and stopped . My sister in law bought property in Geneseo and asked if I wanted to hunt with her so I got back into it . My son in law hunted with me for a couple years and he quit deer hunting . I got use to hunting alone 

My oldest son started deer hunting after he graduated from college and had some time and then we got my youngest son into it . I retired in 1998 and have put in a lot of hours every season . Since I have all that time , I hunt alone a lot . I still find myself capable of dragging a deer . It just takes more time !

• Like 4

Look, I would like to present a lot of bluff and bluster and pretend that I will hunt until they pry that bow or rifle from my cold dead hands ....lol. But there have been changes over the years that have hinted at significant erosion of my physical abilities. Yes at 74, I am still able to climb that old "killer hill" out back when I decide not to take the ATV. It takes a lot of stops along the way that are each getting a little longer, but eventually I make it. The climb is done a lot more slowly and with a lot more pain as joints and muscles remind me that time marches on. I remember when I used to still hunt for many more miles than I should have with absolutely no idea of how I would ever get a deer back home if I got one. Now, ATV access determines where I hunt. Sure, I can still drag a deer without the ATV, and even did so a couple of times this year, but I'm not so sure how wise that is anymore. Let's face it, the human body does have a finite shelf-life. We do what we can for as long as we can, but as I turned the corner on 70 and am on my way to the next decade, there are some doubts that begin creeping in and some realities that can't be ignored. The end is in sight, but so far I choose not to look.

I have no way of predicting just when hunting will stop for me, but there are plenty of signs that it will happen some day and it may not be as far off as I would like to pretend. I can only say that I will continue as long as it is possible. It gets down to simply putting one foot ahead of the other and getting as far as I can go. It's my way of trying to cheat father time but we all know that it really is a losing battle.....lol.

as others have said I will hunt until I can no longer get around.   dad is 83 and he still hunts, not like he used to but he still goes out, still climbs trees but with his medical issues he can not take the cold. Him not hunting bothers me far more than it bothers him because he has always been my idol.  He taught me the basics many many moons ago and I took it from there, what bothers me the most is that he was the most health conscious person I ever knew, never smoked, never drank a drop of alcohol i could not even fathom a guess to how many miles we have walked in our lifetime. But no matter the past he has been dealing with health issues that have taken some wind out of his sails.  

we are headed to camp today as we have some work that needs done and dad has come down with the shingles. He called me yesterday and one of our horses was standing on my porch looking for horse treats lol. ole bo knows those treats come outa that door so he was waiting on my porch.  So I am going to run electric out to the fence and get the fencer hooked up. also need to do some tractor work since dad informed me that he tried to get the rear wheel and fender off my most used tractor and seeing how he couldn't get the bolts loose he cut them all off with the cutting torch......his cure for everything that wont come loose :stop:

back to the  question at hand, hunt as long as you can, heck I know a lot of folks that have hunted well into their 90's they just hunted differently than they did when they were in their 20's

• Like 2

The older I get (53 now), the more comfortable I like to be while hunting.  I have a few nice blinds now that allow me to stay out of the bad weather.  This year, I am going to remove the lower ladder section from my last high tree stand, dropping it down to a more comfortable level.   If and when the day comes that I can no longer get out of the house, I will continue to hunt from my bedroom window, right up to my last breath on Earth.  After that, I will continue hunting thru eternity, up there in "The Happy Hunting ground".

• Like 1

An elderly friend of mine sets the standard for me. He is 92, lives on his own on his own farm and still lights up like a xmas tree if you mention hunting. He shot his deer last year, and is planning on it this year. Physically he is really doing great....upstairs...gotta keep an eye on him.

One of the reasons I have my own little hunting camp is so that no matter what, I will always have a spot I can wander/ walk/ wheel/ dump myself out in he woods to at least smell the pines and watch the squirrels. I cant imagine life without it to look forward to.

• Like 5

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone!

I don't post much on here but I could use some advice. I can't decide if I should purchase a self climbing tree stand or just continue hunting off the ground like I've been doing for the last several years. I'll be 62 yrs old soon. I'm a grandma! I've gun hunted since the early 80's, bow hunted since 2008, and still enjoy it. I've hunted out of the hang-on stands with stick ladders and that worked out okay but they are not easy to carry in and set up where I hunt and I don't like to leave them for long due to thieves. I imagine I will hunt as long as I can but it is getting harder. I've never used a climbing tree stand ever, so I wonder if it's something I should try or not? Any thoughts? Thanks, happy hunting!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ladyhunter said:

Hi everyone!

I don't post much on here but I could use some advice. I can't decide if I should purchase a self climbing tree stand or just continue hunting off the ground like I've been doing for the last several years. I'll be 62 yrs old soon. I'm a grandma! I've gun hunted since the early 80's, bow hunted since 2008, and still enjoy it. I've hunted out of the hang-on stands with stick ladders and that worked out okay but they are not easy to carry in and set up where I hunt and I don't like to leave them for long due to thieves. I imagine I will hunt as long as I can but it is getting harder. I've never used a climbing tree stand ever, so I wonder if it's something I should try or not? Any thoughts? Thanks, happy hunting!

No, at 62 I don't think it's a good idea to use a climbing tree stand.   Deer can be shot from the ground, too.   Much safer than fumbling with a climber.

• Like 1

My dad is  81 he  had  knee replacement sept 3 

He had  cancer last year  did chemo for 5 months  and operation to get rid of tumor  they took out 2 feet of his colon,  all good now . Just before he found out last year he had cancer he went hunting with me  a few times .

And  still planning on hunting  once in awhile when I invite him  to go  this year probably. 

He stays active all the time so going hunting really is nothing anymore strenuous than what he normally does anyway. 

• Like 1

I turned 54 in June. I can't see me ever stopping until they toss dirt on me. I will say that the thrill is taking on a new dimension as I age. I am enjoying trying new things like the recurve and starting trapping but the biggest jolt I get is seeing someone get their first deer. Last year was a highlight for me being with 3 new hunters and their first deer. 

I remember texting Moog when I shot the spike with the recurve that I was actually shaking after the shot like I had just shot a booner. lol. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Ladyhunter said:

Hi everyone!

It takes a bit of getting use to for climber stands, and a bit of effort too, for us older hunters. Haven't used mine in years. 

I vote for ground hunting.  Pro's and con's with every style of hunting though. Find what works well for you, and is comfortable and stick with that. I'm much more comfortable from the ground at 62.

Happy hunting to you too!

Thanks guys for the input. Was a little unsure of the climber idea. I do like hunting on the ground but you have much better view from up high. I'll definitely keep hunting. I've been around it all my life and have enjoyed it close to 40 years now so not ready to sell my gear just yet.:hunter-smiley-face:

• Like 3

Find someone who has a climber and ask them to show u how to use it. Then decide for urself. It's probably worth the effort to see if it will work for u. What county r u in? If someone on here is nearby they might volunteer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My father in law had a horrible stroke at age 50. He loved to hunt and fish. He still got out with us up until about 75 then just couldn't do it. We would either drive the quad to the hunting spot or a pickup truck and he would hunt right from that spot. Someone would always be with him. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ladyhunter said:

Hi everyone!

Welcome to our forum, Ladyhunter….<< Pygmy bows and gently kisses Ladyhunter's hand>>….

People  vary greatly in their physical abilities, ESPECIALLY  when they reach the mid '50s and on...If you are in very good physical condition, you may well be able to hunt safely and effectively from a climber...If you are in AVERAGE condition  for your age, I would recommend hunting from the ground....I am 69 and consider myself in average condition, and I don't even do ladder stands anymore....My balance and co-ordination just aren't what they were just a few short years ago..

4 hours ago, Ladyhunter said:

Thanks guys for the input. Was a little unsure of the climber idea. I do like hunting on the ground but you have much better view from up high. I'll definitely keep hunting. I've been around it all my life and have enjoyed it close to 40 years now so not ready to sell my gear just yet.:hunter-smiley-face:

My vote is a good portable ground blind .

Climbers are just not that comfortable can slip  and most people will not shoot as good from them  as from the ground .   Now a big ladder stand different story but like you said not easily moved .