For us Old Guys

fasteddie

Got a safety harness? Make sure u use it or don't go up. Make sure top and bottom are tied together. Take ur time and go slow. Double check everything. U don't have to go 20 ft up. If u don't want to haul it in every time a cable lock will secure both sections to tree. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@ladyhunter what climber did you get? Maybe some folks on here will have suggestions on better straps, etc. I am 60 and still use my climber (mostly late season), but as you've experienced, few come with weight distributing straps and waist bands. There are some YouTube videos of retrofits using military surplus straps and waistbands. My search continues for a better, more comfortable way to pack my climber. Good luck.

62 years old and I would like to continue for as long as possible. How long that will be I do not know?  I hope to continue for a few more years as my Grandson is just starting to hunt and if I do not take him, he will more than likely not become a lifelong hunter. Finding a place to hunt is getting harder and harder so that is a problem also. 

When it is no longer fun, or you can't physically walk/run/tolerate the weather conditions.

My father was a hard-core small game & deer hunter; about age 60 he called it quits, mostly due to his move to Nevada, where there wasn't much to hunt in the desert. MANY guys I hunted with for years have given up (late 50's-early 60's), the reason being either health problems or change in perspective about killing. I also have a friend who was in his 90s who deep-sea fished and even tagged along on a hog hunt, sadly he's senile now but may reach 100; another older friend who is 75 and takes his oxygen bottle up in his tree stand to deer hunt every fall.

While the game I try to kill has changed some over the years, I don't picture myself giving up fishing or hunting any time soon. I really don't have any other hobbies, and getting into the woods, especially with a dog or two, forces me to get some exercise, which is not a bad thing for me.

• Like 3

I will be 62 next week, dang (maybe it will be a lucky day)! The years fly wayyyy too fast. The climber I just got recently is a Summit Viper SD. I may only use it occasionally, but really need to improve on the back straps. I see info on Molle II straps w/waist-belt and sternum belt, then there's Game Plan gear transport system, and also Summit delux backpack straps. They all look better than what came with the stand. Not sure which one to get though.

I am still enjoying the "great outdoors", I'm fortunate I am still physically able. Exercising regularly helps. It is a challenge to find places to hunt and I'm not fond of freezing so much, but I'll keep at it for a while longer.

• Like 1

I will be 62 next week, dang (maybe it will be a lucky day)! The years fly wayyyy too fast. The climber I just got recently is a Summit Viper SD. I may only use it occasionally, but really need to improve on the back straps. I see info on Molle II straps w/waist-belt and sternum belt, then there's Game Plan gear transport system, and also Summit delux backpack straps. They all look better than what came with the stand. Not sure which one to get though.
I am still enjoying the "great outdoors", I'm fortunate I am still physically able. Exercising regularly helps. It is a challenge to find places to hunt and I'm not fond of freezing so much, but I'll keep at it for a while longer.

Please please please order the stabilizer straps from Thirdhand archery, they make using that climber so much easier and safer. They also help you pack it better. I promise you will not regret it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Please please please order the stabilizer straps from Thirdhand archery, they make using that climber so much easier and safer. They also help you pack it better. I promise you will not regret it!

I ordered two 1" cambuckle strap with loops (camo webbing, black buckle, 4' length) from https://www.ratchetstraps.com/1-inch-cambuckle-strap-with-loops As far as I can tell, they are basically the same thing, but cheaper. I like the concept.

• Like 1

I ordered two 1" cambuckle strap with loops (camo webbing, black buckle, 4' length) from https://www.ratchetstraps.com/1-inch-cambuckle-strap-with-loops As far as I can tell, they are basically the same thing, but cheaper. I like the concept.

Are you attaching them the same way? Should work the same. A bit more difficult to “thread” them though

1 minute ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Are you attaching them the same way? Should work the same. A bit more difficult to “thread” them though

As far as I can tell, I replicated the product, and I will replicate installation. I will rewatch the video before I install them to make sure. (Maybe I missed something?)

As far as I can tell, I replicated the product, and I will replicate installation. I will rewatch the video before I install them to make sure. (Maybe I missed something?)

When you deploy/remove the stand the straps need to come apart, that type can be a bit of a PITA to thread when it’s dark, you’re wearing gloves etc

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

When you deploy/remove the stand the straps need to come apart, that type can be a bit of a PITA to thread when it’s dark, you’re wearing gloves etc

I see the difference now. The jaws of the clamp are easy to open and open wide on the thirdhandarchery product vs. a generic cam buckle. We'll see how it goes. Maybe I'll cut the end of the webbing at a 45 degree angle to make initial threading easier. 

• Like 1

On 11/14/2019 at 9:26 PM, The_Real_TCIII said:

Ok, I will do that, thank you.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2019 at 9:17 AM, cdbing said:

@ladyhunter what climber did you get? Maybe some folks on here will have suggestions on better straps, etc. I am 60 and still use my climber (mostly late season), but as you've experienced, few come with weight distributing straps and waist bands. There are some YouTube videos of retrofits using military surplus straps and waistbands. My search continues for a better, more comfortable way to pack my climber. Good luck.

Summit viper sd.