Opening Day Plan?

DirtTime

What's your May 1st Plan?

Set up where you have Toms on cam? Get out and do more scouting to locate birds or roost them ( seems a little early to try and roost? )?

Did some scouting on two lands. One, I will have to try and call them uphill from local fields. I don't know how that will work out. Two, hunt a really swampy area.

In freshening up on calling, now that I live in the country, I have been either sitting on the steps ( calling in the am and even the evening ) to see what I get answers too ( not a single gobble reply, but the crows don't like it ) or calling a bit in the areas I plan to hunt.

What's your plan for opening day of Spring Turkey?

21 minutes ago, Rob... said:

Set up where you have Toms on cam? Get out and do more scouting to locate birds or roost them ( seems a little early to try and roost? )?

Did some scouting on two lands. One, I will have to try and call them uphill from local fields. I don't know how that will work out. Two, hunt a really swampy area.

In freshening up on calling, now that I live in the country, I have been either sitting on the steps ( calling in the am and even the evening ) to see what I get answers too ( not a single gobble reply, but the crows don't like it ) or calling a bit in the areas I plan to hunt.

Going to hunt where I saw them last year. 

2 hours ago, Rob... said:

Call up hill from fields?..you should be right where they are roosting before they head to fields.. that Is my favorite set up. Never killed a bird in a field yet

• Like 1

i plan to be there before light for sure , setup on the field edge.  I have a spot that i have killed several birds from and its about 90 yards from the roost area.  My issue is that they tend to follow the hens onto another property as the roost is right on the line. I have to draw them my way when they fly down.  But I already took the day off and cant wait to be out there.  

no more field edges for me. the only open field I used to hunt is now covered with solar panels. can still hunt the property but have to stay in the woods. I'm sure they are gonna gather up in the field across the stream on the neighbors property. gonna be next to impossible to convince a tom to fly back over a creek. they seem to roost over the creek a lot so im gonna try to get in tight and see if I can get them to flydown on my side. gonna be a tough year for me. anything with a beard that comes into range is getting a face full.

I'm not waiting till May 1st.  Well, I'll be taking the grandnephews out youth weekend.  

We'll definitely do some early morning scouting and evening roosting. Definitely no calling till the hunt. Don't want to educate them.  

• Like 1

Im scheduled for a work trip the weekend of youth season. Hopefully I can move it to the following weekend. The field where I typically see them is going to be a little tougher this year than last, as whoever cut the corn, left the stubble very long. Ive already been scouting them and will have a couple of different setups in different fields and ill glass in the mornings and see where they are for a few days before we hunt. Hopefully Ill be taking more pictures of Haley holding up a big old longbeard again.

As for May 1st, it will depend on what I see scouting, but my plan wont be much different than it is for Haley for youth season.

• Like 1

wake up, gather up my things, and go to work. we'll see what the work load brings. maybe i'll roll in late or take a day. very difficult to kill a bird where the properties are that i hunt and get to work on time. they're in opposite directions.

20 hours ago, G-Man said:

Call up hill from fields?..you should be right where they are roosting before they head to fields.. that Is my favorite set up. Never killed a bird in a field yet

One would think that, and I agree 100%. The public land I will be on is across the road from private fields I could not get permission to hunt. The the few days I got out last season, any gobbling was coming from across the road. This my top area to hunt this season. I have not had to much boots on the ground scouting the area again yet, but will be out looking soon. The area is close enough I may even try doing some evening roosting. Plan-B is a swampy area with some farms on the borders. Not looking forward to hunting the B area. But will when all else fails.

Unfortunately my plan will be to wake up early and head to take an Organic Chemistry 2 test. How ever ill be out on May 5th an hour before sunlight in my favorite blind. This year will be a little different as ill be teaching the landowner how to turkey hunt so ill be bouncing around a bit more. Hoping for another great season none the less. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Unfortunately my plan will be to wake up early and head to take an Organic Chemistry 2 test. How ever ill be out on May 5th an hour before sunlight in my favorite blind. This year will be a little different as ill be teaching the landowner how to turkey hunt so ill be bouncing around a bit more. Hoping for another great season none the less. 

Hat's off on this one! You will be passing on the torch so to speak. Hope your students nail a few nice gobblers!

• Like 1

will get the season started on 4/21 in pa with gavin on the gun. was at our normal youth season farm before daylight this morning and heard 18 different gobblers 7 rat pack jakes were making it hard to pick out good birds but there were 2 at one end of the hidden field that are likely the ones I was watching back in dec. all I need to do is put eyes on them to confirm they are the same birds.

I hit 2 more properties just after daylight and saw 10  different longbeards and twice as many jakes along with piles of deer. Judy did her scouting from the porch at camp lol. 

we took a ride about 7pm and saw 131 deer.

hope to be back the 28th to 30th in pa then back to NY. just depends on what my scouting reveals,,,,,,thus far its revealed a sizable march mortality rate around our area. The birds were stressed somewhat towards the last week of feb. then we got that heavy wet snow and then cold temps that turned it to ice snow.  I was watching 1 flock of 11 birds all winter  its now down to 4, the brood hen 2 of her jennies and 1 jake the other 7 were found in the area they have been roosting all fall and winter.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2018 at 6:40 AM, 518BowSlayer said:

no more field edges for me. the only open field I used to hunt is now covered with solar panels. can still hunt the property but have to stay in the woods. I'm sure they are gonna gather up in the field across the stream on the neighbors property. gonna be next to impossible to convince a tom to fly back over a creek. they seem to roost over the creek a lot so im gonna try to get in tight and see if I can get them to flydown on my side. gonna be a tough year for me. anything with a beard that comes into range is getting a face full.

Waldenmaier Rd. ??

6 hours ago, 518BowSlayer said:

Selkirk, near csx yard

Thinking the same area. Place I was thinking is just off 32 on Waldenmaier Rd. CSX is about a mile away on Creble Rd. See deer and turkeys in those fields all the time, and at some odd hours. Knocked on a couple doors over that way after moving to Selkirk almost two years ago, but no go.