Family tradition

Robhuntandfish

Didn't know if I was going to share this as it is very personal for me. But thought it is Easter and maybe would take pause to be sure everyone appreciates family a little more today.

April 1 has always been the opening day of trout season around here and have always gone.  My Dad was the greatest stream trout fisherman I have ever seen.  He could catch them out of a rain gutter.  He passed 30 seasons ago but I always have the same tradition.  I grab a bud longneck, his favorite beer, and i go to visit him and have a beer on opening day of trout season.  

Now this is not a sad thing.  It's something I always have done and will always do.  We were very close and we always took the day off from school or work to fish opening day.  We had years where the water was unfishable, years where we were tearing up nice browns on oriskany creek in snow so bad we couldn't see across the crick, or got brookies up in lewis county and cooked them up for breakfast after. 

School used to ask me where was my "legal" excuse for being out for the day.  I told them I went trout fishing with my dad. They would say i needed a note or a legal excuse.  I told them to tell my dad that.  After a while they didn't even call him anymore. Cause he would say we weren't going to lie about it, he went fishing with his dad and will again next year.  He passed in my senior year of high school.  And the last time we fished together he caught 2 big browns on chittenango creek even though he couldn't go more than a few yards on the stream.  

So today I will go to his grave sight have a beer with my Dad and be sure I make at least one cast for a trout.  And always will. When I am gone the next thing I want to see is my Dad sitting on a rock on a beautiful trout stream with tails sticking out of his creel waiting for his son to walk down the creek cause he already limited out. 

Everyone have a good Easter, enjoy food and family today.  And happy opening day of trout season.

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 6

Didn't know if I was going to share this as it is very personal for me. But thought it is Easter and maybe would take pause to be sure everyone appreciates family a little more today.
April 1 has always been the opening day of trout season around here and have always gone.  My Dad was the greatest stream trout fisherman I have ever seen.  He could catch them out of a rain gutter.  He passed 30 seasons ago but I always have the same tradition.  I grab a bud longneck, his favorite beer, and i go to visit him and have a beer on opening day of trout season.  
Now this is not a sad thing.  It's something I always have done and will always do.  We were very close and we always took the day off from school or work to fish opening day.  We had years where the water was unfishable, years where we were tearing up nice browns on oriskany creek in snow so bad we couldn't see across the crick, or got brookies up in lewis county and cooked them up for breakfast after. 
School used to ask me where was my "legal" excuse for being out for the day.  I told them I went trout fishing with my dad. They would say i needed a note or a legal excuse.  I told them to tell my dad that.  After a while they didn't even call him anymore. Cause he would say we weren't going to lie about it, he went fishing with his dad and will again next year.  He passed in my senior year of high school.  And the last time we fished together he caught 2 big browns on chittenango creek even though he couldn't go more than a few yards on the stream.  
So today I will go to his grave sight have a beer with my Dad and be sure I make at least one cast for a trout.  And always will. When I am gone the next thing I want to see is my Dad sitting on a rock on a beautiful trout stream with tails sticking out of his creel waiting for his son to walk down the creek cause he already limited out. 
Everyone have a good Easter, enjoy food and family today.  And happy opening day of trout season.

Thank you for sharing. I wish you good luck on the cast or two you make today and your Pop will be looking down upon you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I just read it to my wife.............we have tears running down our chubby cheeks.

Memories of days gone by are some of life's greatest treasures.  Today is a great day for you to celebrate your father's life, cheers!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I just read it to my wife.............we have tears running down our chubby cheeks.

Memories of days gone by are some of life's greatest treasures.  Today is a great day for you to celebrate your father's life, cheers!

Likewise!My feelings exactly :drinks:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:
1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Thank you for sharing. I wish you good luck on the cast or two you make today and your Pop will be looking down upon you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best wishes for your day today as well Jay.  I would bet the pair of Lou and Leo would have some good stories to share over a beer.  

• Like 3

One of my daughters and two of her kids went to Mass with us this am . She and my son in law were married on April 1st 29 years ago at the PLanetarium (sp) in Rochester . She wanted to get married on April 1st and he wanted to get married under the stars . They both got their wish . My son in law died of cancer 6 years ago . He never made it to 50 . April 1st is still an important date . 

• Like 5

Thanks for a great post Rob.

Keeping alive memories, and making new ones with the ones we love, is one of lifes joys. The most loved, are the ones who leave behind the fondest memories. For in the end, that's all we leave behind.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, maddie said:

I lost my best fishing buddy 3/9/18  at least god let me have her for 38 years  . I wanted so much to be out there  with her  today  watching  her cast her fly rod . Will the hurt ever go away?

Maddie, the thoughts do change from sadness of loss to also the memories that you shared together and will also bring a smile to your face. I am sure there will always be a feeling that your life is now missing your times together but remember that life was filled up with all of those times you've shared together.  And I think Grampy nailed it as he usually does.  Sorry for your loss.

Rob, this was a great post. Yes, a bit sad, but the tradition yo have is enlightening at the same time.

I never really knew my father, left when I was 4, and passed when I was 10. I have one good memory that I hold sacred, and will not share with many, and never on the web.

Maddie, I will say, I don't think the pain ever goes away. You just find ways to deal with it. Force yourself to think about the good times, something funny. When my mom passed, it was a very traumatic experience for me. My hands started shaking and haven't stopped almost 17 years later. A part of me died that day, and I could feel a darkness and cold inside me, it's never went away. When I feel myself starting to really sink, I think about the time she fell on her ass trying to reel in a big carp and the line snapped, or the time she caught the biggest perch for her and the smile on her face, I even think about life lessons she taught me. You have to try really hard, and just focus on the good times when you are hurting the most.

Hope I didn't derail this thread, the death of parents or other loved ones can effect different people in different ways. You just have to deal with the best you can.