how did you learn to hunt?

Robhuntandfish

My father but I usally don't do what I know is the best way to hunt for the way that is more fun  go in the woods when i feel like and move around trying to creep up on game .

Instead of doing it the way your supost to  get up early get into a stand over a  funnel and wait .

Growing up, my dad hunted, but he was way more into pheasants than deer.  The wild pheasants were pretty much gone by the time I was old enough to hunt, so we did not hunt much together.  I only remember him killing two deer.   His older brother (my god-father) was more into deer hunting and showed me how to gut my first kill (a button buck), while hunting with him as a teenager.   My grandpa (mom's dad) was really into hunting, especially deer and squirrel, but he died before I was old enough, leaving me all his guns.   I learned a bit from friends, consisting mostly of neighbors, and coworkers.   Mostly, I learned by making mistakes on my own, and trying my best to avoid repeating them.   On rare occasion, I was able to learn an important lesson from someone else.   For example, I never walk up on a downed deer, lay down my weapon and get out my knife, until I stick the muzzle of my loaded weapon in it's eye and it does not blink.   Had my uncle not learned that lesson the hard way, he would have harvested what he said was the largest deer he had ever seen.  Since he was the one who was with me for my own first kill, that lesson really sunk in. 

I have been hunting deer for 36 years, and for 30 of them, I learned way too many lessons the hard way myself.  It seemed that whenever I solved one problem, a completely different one would pop up from somewhere I least expected it.   That struggle ended 6 years ago, when a coworker clued me in to what he thought was the source of his own troubles that year, and also of my own good fortune.  I had killed a mature buck that year, due to what I thought was just "dumb luck".   Mature bucks are rare for me, because I am a meat hunter and usually take the first deer that offers me a good shot.   On the morning of that rare feat, I had also killed a fat button buck in the morning, and a friend had given me another, almost identical to it. 

With two fat button bucks hanging in the garage and ready to butcher, I was not very much into the afternoon hunt, even though it was still opening day of gun season.   I figured I would pass some quite time up in a tree reading a book.  I headed for the deep woods across the road, where I had not heard a single shot all morning, while our side had sounded like World War III.   About 5 minutes prior to legal sunset, the book I was reading somehow fell from my hands, landing softly on the pine needles below the tree my stand was in.   I decided to pack it in a little early, but I left my gun loaded as I carefully climbed down the tree.  As soon as I hit the ground, a flock of turkeys landed right in the little patch of brush below my tree, some less than 10 feet away.  Then the head and neck of the big buck stuck out from behind the brush about 15 feet away.   I hit him at the base of the neck, with a slug from my grandpas old 16 gauge Ithaca model 37, killing him instantly. 

The older coworker explained his troubles to me over that opening weekend on a Monday morning.  He had apparently missed a big buck on Saturday and a doe on Sunday.  He is an elder at my good friend's church and he very rarely misses a Sunday.  He felt bad that he had missed church for the hunt that weekend and he asked me if I had gone.   I had, but probably would not have if I still needed meat.  Then he asked what book I was reading.  He was able to connect the dots, when I told him it was the Bible.  He said "I guess you got to have things right with the Lord" if you want to be a successful hunter.   In each of the last (5) seasons, I have seen that same lesson played out, as many as four times and not less than twice.   I guess it makes sense that the Guy who "knows where every sparrow falls", would have something to do with where whitetail deer end up.   It should be no surprise when it is "deer heaven" (our family's food supply).   

There is really nothing more that I need to learn about hunting, but I will still take all the free advice that I can get, especially from this site.  Speaking of that, thank you Chefhunter for convincing me to fork over $ 6 for a Butt-out II.  That tool has added at least an hour of "prime-time" over the last (2) years.  And where would I be without that PA chest girth chart that G-man so generously provided.     

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

My dad got me started back when I was around 12 when I would sit with him on watches. By the time I was legal to carry a gun and sit by myself my dad had given up hunting as he was shot in the woods one year by a newbie Hunter who thought he was a bear. I from that point began to learn alot on my own mainly through trial and error.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Growing up on a rather remote farm location, I learned to entertain myself rather early in life and spent all my non-working time wandering the hills and simply observing. Then I got involved in trapping around age 11. That is when I really started learning to pay close attention to animal habits and movements. It also provided a lot of opportunity to observe potential prey animals for future hunting activities.

Also, at a very early age, I got into archery and soon saw the hunting opportunities and possibilities. I subscribed to every bowhunting magazine available (it seems there were more of them back then). I learned a huge amount from those magazines.

• Like 1

I learned from Mom and Dad Aunts Uncles and my older brothers sisters.The entire family hunts or fishes and just enjoys being outdoors.I have also learned some from this site.learn something every day

Edited by Dom
  • Like 1

My Dad  was never much of a deer hunter, but  he taught me a lot about hunting small game , upland birds, and especially coon,,,Coon hunting was his true passion, although he loved hunting rabbits and pheasants with beagles too...One of my uncles was an avid deer hunter and I got most of my early education in deer hunting from him..

A lot of my early hunting education came from interfacing with my peers...All of my buddies hunted and had learned from THIER mentors, and we compared notes and learned from each other...

When I began turkey hunting, I knew very few people who had any experience, ...I read everything in print about the subject, and in the mid 1960s that was not a whole lot...Several of my friends were also eager to learn to turkey hunt and  we compared notes and learned from each other's experiences...  One of the very best  woods callers and  tactical turkey hunters that I know went turkey hunting his first time with ME as his mentor..Within a couple of years he was teaching ME stuff and to this day I am still learning from him..

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Each time I discover how not to hunt, I learn a bit more about how to hunt. My mistakes have been my hardest and most valuable teacher.

Having no family experience nor exposure to draw on, I've been very fortunate to have had the time to read up on deer hunting, and the opportunity to walk many miles of public land, once royally screwing up another fella's hunt. I will never forget that day, nor that lesson. He was sitting for the culmination of his scouting. I had found the spot by mistake a week before, thought it looked good, and hoped to get lucky. It was my fifth day in the deer woods. He got pissed and stormed out, only to stalk in his truck and honk the horn on occasion. In addition to other things, I learned to not be like that.

The overwhelming positive experiences of being in the deer woods, however, led me to a deeper exploration of the effort, as well as to here (and other places). My fortune increased with the knowledge shared and especially the time spent with and encouraging me.

Although I've only been hunting for four seasons, three with bow, I think I've learned enough to know I'll never learn enough. I consider myself lucky to be able to hunt and provide organic food for my family and friends. I am indebted to all the help, the shared knowledge, and all the mistakes. I hope to be able to share what I've learned and to continue to learn for a long time to come.

I'm all thumbs when using Tapatalk

Edited by Rebel Darling
Gammar and diction
  • Like 2

Judging by my freezer, I still haven't learned xD

All seriousness,  my dad taught me, and him, and I still are always learning.  We are not good at it by any means, but have had some amazing days in the woods, that neither of us would trade for anything.

• Like 2

3 years ago, at 29, I decided it was something I wanted to try. A few guys at work have a camp in West Almond and invited me up. I joined and have been going there for 3 years now. In my time there I've realized that many of the guys are there to get away from the family more than hunt, and haven't had any luck. I spend as much time as I can in the woods but haven't really been taught by anyone and it can be frustrating trying to figure it out on your own. But I love the outdoors, and want to teach my son to hunt as he gets old enough, like I wish someone did for me. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 4/25/2018 at 9:50 AM, jpaolini said:

3 years ago, at 29, I decided it was something I wanted to try. A few guys at work have a camp in West Almond and invited me up. I joined and have been going there for 3 years now. In my time there I've realized that many of the guys are there to get away from the family more than hunt, and haven't had any luck. I spend as much time as I can in the woods but haven't really been taught by anyone and it can be frustrating trying to figure it out on your own. But I love the outdoors, and want to teach my son to hunt as he gets old enough, like I wish someone did for me. 

find a dvd called bowhunting october whitetails 1 and 2 will teach you more than 10 years of trial and error. yes its bow but same principals apply to gun. i apolgise in advance for the cheesy 80s music in it. was made when teaching was more important than the look at me buy the stuff that sponsers me that is all arpund today.. amazon or netflix may have them

• Like 2

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

find a dvd called bowhunting october whitetails 1 and 2 will teach you more than 10 years of trial and error. yes its bow but same principals apply to gun. i apolgise in advance for the cheesy 80s music in it. was made when teaching was more important than the look at me buy the stuff that sponsers me that is all arpund today.. amazon or netflix may have them

Those two video's are still the best ever made, IMO! Todays, deer video's and TV shows, could really use more guys like Barry and Gene Wensel.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

I have not seen those but will add that Dan Infalt's videos are excellent and very educational.  No fluff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

I have not seen those but will add that Dan Infalt's videos are excellent and very educational.  No fluff.

You being a traditional archer, I think you would really enjoy the Hunting October Whitetails videos!  Check em out if ya get the chance.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2018 at 9:07 AM, ny hunter said:

My dad taught me to handle and shoot guns...He was not a hunter so I pretty much taught my self...Lots of mistakes and lots of reading and asking questions...

Pretty much same here.  My dad does hunt, but I would not call him a super technical hunter.  He taught me the ultra basics and the rest has been trial/error, asking other people, tips from hunting shows/magazines, and internet forums....

42 minutes ago, grampy said:

You being a traditional archer, I think you would really enjoy the Hunting October Whitetails videos!  Check em out if ya get the chance.

Barry will show you the PROPER way to wear your hat....Hehehe....

I  read Gene Wensel's book before  I saw the videos...

One thing that stands out in my mind was when he was talking about deer lures...

He said the best  deer lure he knew of was a freshly used feminine napkin  or tampon...The strings were there to make them easier to hang from a branch..

He  also said that the worst verbal beating he ever took was when his wife found a Ziploc bag full of them hidden behind a rump roast in the family freezer...:notme:….

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, moog5050 said:

these guys were doing stuff they are coming out with today

.many went on to bigger companys.. gene biddlespacher became head of video for realtree.. barry wensel is very well known you should check them out. there are many more by their group whitetail visions but most are vhs only.. another good few by them  are highnoon bucks and shooting running deer. the also have a great video that teaches you to judge black bear called master of the black bear..id love to find them all on dvd..but i doubt that will ever happen

I learned from a ton of sources. My uncle got me started and has taught me a lot. Then there are the other guys I hunt with. Most are older than me and have taught me along the way. I have done some reading up on hunting but not much and of course since I joined this forum I have learned a few things here as well. 

I am no great hunter but I know enough to get at least one deer a year with the limited time I have (knock on wood)

• Like 1

Learned from my Dad and Grandfather and reading a lot of Outdoor Life and Field & Stream when I was a kid. My dad started taking me with him on deer hunts as soon as I could sit still for an all day hunt - probably around age 10 or so. 

• Like 1