Deer Sightings

fasteddie

My wife and I went to my youngest son's home for dinner . We took a 13 pound ham . My son's in-laws were visiting from Venezuela . Nick and I took a walk around his property as I plan to help him remove some dead trees and brush and clean things up . I plan to take two chain saws and he has a loaner but has never used one . We saw an awful lot of deer droppings on our little trek . 

Anyway , when my wife and I left we counted over 40 deer in various fields on Route 32 between Ganyard Hill and route 64 . At one point I had to stop as a couple deer were starting to cross the road but went back into the ditch . This is down in WNYBuckhunter's neck of the woods . It was great to see so many deer out . 

• Like 2

We have deer coming out of our ears over there. I see herds of 20+ at a time every day. You really have to watch yourself driving, and it doesnt matter the time of day. I had 3 of them pop out and almost became hood ornaments around noon one day last week or the week before. I think your son lives less than 2 miles from my place.

• Like 1

My son , Nick , lives on County Rd 33 just south of Ganyard Hill Road . He has deer bed down 60 yards from his front porch and can't get to his stand because the deer are laying there . He has trail cams but none are out . I told him to put up the cams and see what time they show up or leave . At least try to pattern them . Saw several deer on Egypt road between Co road 33 and Rt 32 . 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was out from 5:15am and came in from the woods at 7:05 and I saw 30 does, 1 buck at 327yrds, 3 coyotes, 1 red fox and 2 groundhogs. All in al i think it was a good day...Just glad to be back in the woods/field...All the does were with-in 13 yrds...

All these sighting and glowing reports, and yet I read in the latest NYON that the DEC is reporting a less than stellar deer take this past season. Something doesn't add up. We all know what we are seeing, so why isn't this showing up in the harvest numbers?

3 hours ago, Doc said:

All these sighting and glowing reports, and yet I read in the latest NYON that the DEC is reporting a less than stellar deer take this past season. Something doesn't add up. We all know what we are seeing, so why isn't this showing up in the harvest numbers?

It is more of a "adaptation" question than a math question and it goes something like this:   Deer are seen in great numbers from early spring until mid fall because there is little human scent out there then and very little danger from their main predator - man.  They are especially visible right now because this is the time of year when the food supply is at its minimum and that is another big factor that makes them forage by day.   Starting October 1, great numbers of bow-hunters enter the picture, changing things big time when it comes to the amount of "danger" scent around.   The wise old does quickly lead their groups to become mostly nocturnal.  Food is also plentiful then, so between the danger by day and abundant food, there is no longer a need for the deer to venture out and be seen.  Those that do die, while those that do not pass those traits on to their offspring, making future generations tougher and tougher to kill.    

Allowing the crossbows out there, starting October 1, could help a lot with this situation.   Their silence combined with greater efficiency might allow a significantly larger kill, before the deer realize what is happening.   The way things have been the last (4) seasons, most of the deer have already gone nocturnal before they have been allowed to be used.  A vertical bow is one step below completely useless when it comes to controlling deer numbers, because it must be drawn with deer in close proximity.  That is difficult when multiple sets of eyes usually have to be "fooled".   Eliminating the need to draw, combined with silence, has the potential to make the crossbow the ultimate deer control weapon.  

Keeping the crossbow out until November squanders that potential, because the deer have already gone nocturnal before it is allowed to be used.  We have only a few "heroes", such as yourself, to thank for that.  It looks like we have to wait at least one more year before we can get out there with them on October 1.  Are you proud of what you have accomplished ?   I know you will bring up "just let guns in then" again as you always do.  You seem to not recognize the noise that guns make - which can make the deer in the next county go nocturnal. Just as the deer's nose is many times more capable than man's, so are it's ears.  The lack of noise would make the crossbow far more effective than the gun.   Like a "stealth" bomber, it can get in under the radar.

Edited by wolc123

We had a very warm archery season again and warmer temps in early gun again, so the warm temps plus the fact that alot of gun hunters hunt  hard the first week then taper off I believe are the cause of lower numbers shot . This cool weather we are having now ,and the storm fronts moving in will get the deer on their feet.

2 hours ago, wolc123 said:

It is more of a "adaptation" question than a math question and it goes something like this:   Deer are seen in great numbers from early spring until mid fall because there is little human scent out there then and very little danger from their main predator - man.  They are especially visible right now because this is the time of year when the food supply is at its minimum and that is another big factor that makes them forage by day.   Starting October 1, great numbers of bow-hunters enter the picture, changing things big time when it comes to the amount of "danger" scent around.   The wise old does quickly lead their groups to become mostly nocturnal.  Food is also plentiful then, so between the danger by day and abundant food, there is no longer a need for the deer to venture out and be seen.  Those that do die, while those that do not pass those traits on to their offspring, making future generations tougher and tougher to kill.    

Allowing the crossbows out there, starting October 1, could help a lot with this situation.   Their silence combined with greater efficiency might allow a significantly larger kill, before the deer realize what is happening.   The way things have been the last (4) seasons, most of the deer have already gone nocturnal before they have been allowed to be used.  A vertical bow is one step below completely useless when it comes to controlling deer numbers, because it must be drawn with deer in close proximity.  That is difficult when multiple sets of eyes usually have to be "fooled".   Eliminating the need to draw, combined with silence, has the potential to make the crossbow the ultimate deer control weapon.  

Keeping the crossbow out until November squanders that potential, because the deer have already gone nocturnal before it is allowed to be used.  We have only a few "heroes", such as yourself, to thank for that.  It looks like we have to wait at least one more year before we can get out there with them on October 1.  Are you proud of what you have accomplished ?   I know you will bring up "just let guns in then" again as you always do.  You seem to not recognize the noise that guns make - which can make the deer in the next county go nocturnal. Just as the deer's nose is many times more capable than man's, so are it's ears.  The lack of noise would make the crossbow far more effective than the gun.   Like a "stealth" bomber, it can get in under the radar.

How about you learn how to hunt and quit begging for the state to make things easier for you guys that may not have what it takes?  They are there for the taking if ya know how to take them.

6 hours ago, Doc said:

More DEC. miss calculation. Where habitat will support; their will be deer in number.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

Funny how that goes seems like you always see more around when you are not hunting and it is  not hunting season .

I think the smart ones can sense when humans are hunting them and avoid us . 

The question is how exactly sent body language Are movements may be  they  even recognize when we have weapons in are hands it means danger?

Edited by Storm914

4 hours ago, wolc123 said:

You could just go to the grocery store and buy more meat wolf it would be much easier :)  crossbow is not this magical weapon that is going to guarantee you a deer even with a longer season if you are not getting anything now  anyway. 

12 hours ago, wolc123 said:

Mostly irrelevant to this topic. I take it you have never hunted public land where there is a huge human presence with hikers, dog walkers, bird watchers, and cyclists. Deer aren't so skiddish all the time in these areas.

I have noticed more deer over the last week then I usually see this time of year. Yesterday morning there was in the small field across the road. First time in almost two years seeing one there. I think March being more or less a severely chitty month weather wise has them up and moving more to regain much needed nourishment. 

I dont get why in the world someone who hunts would complain about seeing  to many deer ? I rather see  alot and know there out there  then  see nothing and  try hunting when I never see any on the off season in that area .

Edited by Storm914

22 hours ago, wolc123 said:

Some people think that every topic is about crossbows....lol. Well, if all you are concerned with is truly having a weapon that is a proven deer population controller I think the success percentage ratios cannot be disputed, can they? Firearms are far more efficient at that task. Arguing otherwise is simply not being honest. Oh and by the way there are already plenty of guns out there banging away during bow season and plenty noisy ones at that.

But in spite of your attempt to hijack the thread, I still wonder why people are seeing more deer but DEC harvest numbers are going down.

26 minutes ago, Doc said:

Some people think that every topic is about crossbows....lol. Well, if all you are concerned with is truly having a weapon that is a proven deer population controller I think the success percentage ratios cannot be disputed, can they? Firearms are far more efficient at that task. Arguing otherwise is simply not being honest. Oh and by the way there are already plenty of guns out there banging away during bow season and plenty noisy ones at that.

But in spite of your attempt to hijack the thread, I still wonder why people are seeing more deer but DEC harvest numbers are going down.

Did you note the Ohio harvest numbers that someone posted in another thread ?  If so, then you would have seen that the archery numbers exceeded the gun numbers last year.  I also have a pretty good idea why that may be: the crossbow has been legal there for 40 years.  I don't know how good you have done with killing does with your vertical bow, but I do know how I have, and it wasn't good.   In 30 seasons I launched (2) arrows at them, giving one a sore shoulder, when I hit the blade, and double lunging the other. Those are dismal numbers I admit, but they do serve to illustrate to me what an inefficient weapon the vertical bow is, for the job of controlling the deer population.    I drew on many other does over those years, not letting the arrows go because one of the other deer in the group caught that motion, alerting the whole group.   Killing bucks was not a big problem for me, with just one set of eyes to fool.

As hunters, we should all look beyond our personal need to "kill a big buck" every year, and be willing to do our part and help the DEC keep deer numbers at healthy levels.   Clearly this is not being accomplished in many areas of NY right now, as the massive deer numbers the OP, WNYB, and others are talking about on this thread right now.   The crossbow could not be more relative to this thread, and the Ohio data provides all the proof we need to see that it can get the job done.  I think that Ohio may also rank a bit higher than NY in most surveys of hunter satisfaction.   

There is nothing that NY could do to satisfy me more as a huter than opening up crossbow on October 1.  I would also be happy with a "compromise" that would allow "traditional" only (meaning longbows and recurves) from October 1-14, then go back to the October 15 opening date for compounds and crossbows.   I think that the number of those with the gumption to become proficient with longbows and recurves would not be enough to "alert" the deer and force them nocturnal, as the hordes of compound-wielding  "high-tech" hunters have been doing lately.     

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Fewer and fewer people learn how to hunt before buying a license and going hunting. That's the short answer.

The deer are out there, for sure, but in the woods they are way smarter and more aware of their environment than the humans.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2018 at 4:10 AM, Doc said:

I think it speaks to the style and hunting ability of today's hunter and the lack of hunter numbers. I think that hunter numbers can also be deceiving... when of those hunters most get out very few times during the season. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, nyantler said:

I think it speaks to the style and hunting ability of today's hunter and the lack of hunter numbers. I think that hunter numbers can also be deceiving... when of those hunters most get out very few times during the season. 

On 4/21/2018 at 4:10 AM, Doc said:

Hunter licences sales are 250k plus. There must be a ton of unsuccessful, and it also illustrates no need for 1 buck. Rule most hunters do not.connect on a buck anyway.

As the saying goes 90% of game is taken by 10% of the hubters..

Second issue is access. So much land is not accessible and then some that is hunted is buck only by the hut terms themselves.. they fail to understand if they shot more doe they would see more buck.. 

6 hours ago, wolc123 said:

Did you note the Ohio harvest numbers that someone posted in another thread ?  If so, then you would have seen that the archery numbers exceeded the gun numbers last year.  I also have a pretty good idea why that may be: the crossbow has been legal there for 40 years.  I don't know how good you have done with killing does with your vertical bow, but I do know how I have, and it wasn't good.   In 30 seasons I launched (2) arrows at them, giving one a sore shoulder, when I hit the blade, and double lunging the other. Those are dismal numbers I admit, but they do serve to illustrate to me what an inefficient weapon the vertical bow is, for the job of controlling the deer population.    I drew on many other does over those years, not letting the arrows go because one of the other deer in the group caught that motion, alerting the whole group.   Killing bucks was not a big problem for me, with just one set of eyes to fool.

As hunters, we should all look beyond our personal need to "kill a big buck" every year, and be willing to do our part and help the DEC keep deer numbers at healthy levels.   Clearly this is not being accomplished in many areas of NY right now, as the massive deer numbers the OP, WNYB, and others are talking about on this thread right now.   The crossbow could not be more relative to this thread, and the Ohio data provides all the proof we need to see that it can get the job done.  I think that Ohio may also rank a bit higher than NY in most surveys of hunter satisfaction.   

There is nothing that NY could do to satisfy me more as a huter than opening up crossbow on October 1.  I would also be happy with a "compromise" that would allow "traditional" only (meaning longbows and recurves) from October 1-14, then go back to the October 15 opening date for compounds and crossbows.   I think that the number of those with the gumption to become proficient with longbows and recurves would not be enough to "alert" the deer and force them nocturnal, as the hordes of compound-wielding  "high-tech" hunters have been doing lately.     

Dont blame the weapon because  your incompetent. If you lived in the states you speak of with their short seasons you would have to spend more time in the grocery store buying your meat.    Maybe spend more time learning how to hunt the animal your after rather than begging for the laws to make it easier on you to kill one.

• Like 2